TRI-ME
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 49s
Overall Rank = 65/162
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 18/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a 6am. Ate 2 mini-bagels with PB, banana and had a cup of coffee and a gatorade.

The event was in a state park that opened at 7am. I picked up my race packet the night before so I didn't have to deal with getting it before the race. I figured everyone would show up for the 7am opening so I planned on showing up late to avoid waiting in traffic. I still had to wait about 15 minutes to get in but got to go around a bunch of cars that didn't register the night before.

The transition area was tight and I had a hard time to find a spot. But eventually squeezed myself into one and got ready for the race.
Event warmup:

a little swimming to fit my wetsuit
Swim
  • 10m 57s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Good first and second leg. the last leg was not so good as I got off course. I need to sight more or swim straighter. But overall I was happy with my swim as every race I improve.
What would you do differently?:

sight better, swim straighter.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

The time is an estimate since the transitions are in the bike. I forgot bogy glide and Pam so it was a little difficult getting out of my wetsuit. There was a nice little jog to the trasition from the beach so that slowed the times down a little. Also I had trouble getting on my bike a getting up to speed as I had problems clipping in.

practice this maybe once.
Bike
  • 50m 29s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I suck, suck, suck. The bike is usually my best event but I have done very little training in the last month. My legs were dead from the start and never got any better.

I forgot to reset my computer but the first 4 miles was flat and I was keeping the pace around 21 mph. At mile 4 was the worst hill I have ever biked up. It was about a 10% grade and lasted a quarter to a 1/3 of a mile. Everyone was standing some were walking up it. I was going about 5 mph at the end of it and was wishing of a smaller gear and my legs and lunfs were burning. Mike (MikeJ) passed me at the top and he looked very strong.

I dropped my chain right at the and I was very slow putting it back on. It was very disappointing to see everyone I passed on the first 4 miles plus many more cruise on by while I screwed around with my chain.

The rest of the bike was uneventful except at the last railroad crossing I caught a train. so I lost another couple minutes waiting for the train and getting back up to speed.

I guess it wasn't my day for the bike. But, there is always another race.

Don't screw with my front derailer a couple of days before the race. Get the local train schedule so I can miss it next time.

I think I needed this poor performance to get motivated to train hard again.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Gotta lear to get off the bike better. But overall, not too bad
Run
  • 23m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, I have not put the training in lately and I felt it on the run. My brathing was labored the whole way and my legs were heavy. I am surprised at my time as I felt I was running was over 8 minute miles. So either the course was short or I run faster in the woods.

get my butt training again.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a couple bottles of water and some fruit and chatted with Rob(Huskyboy) and Mike (MikeJ).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I came into this race knowing that it was going to be a struggle as I haven't been putting in the training lately. I was happy with my mental effort because even though my body didn't have it I fought through it pretty good.

There are a lot of very good 35-39M triathletes around here. I thought that since Timberman was this weekend that the feild would be a little soft. But that wasnt the case. It was definitely a good wake up call to get my butt moving if I want to be competitive in my age group.

Event comments:

This is a beatiful venue and it was a fun first time event. If I don't do the Timberman 1/2 next year I will go there again next year.

Last updated: 2006-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:57 | 547 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 19/22
Overall: 99/162
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:50:29 | 16 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/22
Overall: 70/162
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: most flat and rolling hills with one crazy steep hill that is the stuff of nightmares at around mile 4.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:22 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/22
Overall: 77/162
Performance: Below average
Course: a lollipop on mostly wooded trails. Pretty flat with one steep short hill about a half mile in
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-20 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: The Wildbear Sprint TRI/DUATHLON

2006-08-20 11:15 AM
in reply to: #516623

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: The Wildbear Sprint TRI/DUATHLON
I like your description of that hill  - definitely the stuff of nightmares. Nice work out there Jeff - it was a tough field, especially in our age group.
2006-08-20 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Jeff.  It may not have been your day on the bike, but some of that stuff was out of your control and despite that you put together a good ride.  I had to chuckle at you comment about me looking strong at the top because I was in PAIN! Lets try to get togeter for some more early rides before the Lobsterman. 
2006-08-21 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
For a bad bike day, your average speed looks pretty darn good!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Wildbear Sprint TRI/DUATHLON Rss Feed