United States
Games of Acadiana
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 33s
Overall Rank = 131/142
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Hit the floor running at 4:00. Fed dogs, unloaded dishwasher, did clothes, made bed, pick up some mess, and ate breakfast. {I am a morning worker, it's the only time I have energy or 'want to.'}

Packed the ice chest and got the boys up and in the car.

We dropped off the boys at Ma and Pa's. I TOLD Pa and the boys that they all had a half hour to get ready and leave for the race......
Event warmup:

Set up bike and towel of stuff. Talked to several people. I forgot my goggles, I had 2 pair that weren't mine. (We had a pile on the counter at home and I grabbed a black pair thinking it was mine.) So, the race was starting and BEAR said I still had time to go look in the car to see if my googles were there. They weren't!

My parents, niece and her boyfriend were all coming to watch the race with the boys. They weren't there yet and I was worried. I decided to call them, they were still home, about 20 minutes away. Dakota told Pa the race started at 7:30 so they were moving slow. (I'd told Pa when I dropped them off that they had to be out of the house at 6:30----NOBODY LISTENS!!!!)

So, I walked back to the pool area and did the multiple bathroom stops as my 'walking' warmup. I was number 153 and had a lot of time to be nervous........

Went talk to BEAR in line and met Lou, a BTer from Baton Rouge. Encouraged them as they swam....
Swim
  • 05m 57s
  • 200 yards
  • 02m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

UH UMMM!!! You'd thought I didn't spend up to 9 hours or more a week in the pool this summer. The first lap was okay, but I couldn't get my act together. I swam another 1/2 lap and said oh well.... I started swimming side stroke. I was behind LeRoy (another friend who has trouble swimming), we were passed by one man. I hit and tickled LeRoy's feet several times, then passed him on a turn. I did the last lap on my back. I was disappointed that I didn't swim as well as I should have, but I was smiling when I got out of the pool in under 6 minutes.
I FINISHED!!!! :):):)
What would you do differently?:

Warmup a little in the pool. RELAX. Get my family there early.

Work on a better technique for next year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Walked and ran to T1. Sat and washed my feet (they were full of grass) and put my shoes on with no poblem. I put on my helmet and glasses got my bike and off I went.
Bike
  • 31m 19s
  • 8.21 miles
  • 15.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I loved the bike ride. :):):) The wind was behind me on the way out of the double loop. The song 'If I Could Save Time In A Bottle', was stuck in my head. I talked to ALL, other riders, cops, volunteers and spectators. There was a headwind coming back to the start. AHHH! I was passed by faster people and I passed a few riders encouraging them as I went by. The ride was fun, fun, fun!

I saw Dylan and Quentin at the end of the first loop, so I knew my family had finally made it to the race. Better late than never.

I saw BEAR finishing his second loop. I yelled, but he didn't hear me either. (Must really have been a 'deaf' day for my whole family.)

When I got to the end of the ride, my family was there cheering and yelling. It was so good to see them all!

'Ride Lots' to get faster for next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Got off the bike and walked/ran it in. I had to call out to get kids and parents who were in the transition area to MOVE!!! (They did so....slowly.) I hate when people are in the way in transition.

Sat, got one shoe on but my shoe string was stuck inside my shoe, so I took it off and started over. I got the other shoe on with no problem and took off with a bottle of water.

Maureen, a friend of ours got back at transition and left the area together. She runs, but we saw each other with the double loop. She's a great lady.

Fix my shoestrings better.
Run
  • 24m 44s
  • 2 miles
  • 12m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Walked out of transition. My niece tried to encourage me to run. I am a WALKER!!! I made a small loop and everyone and BEAR met me along the route. He gave me another bottle of cold water which I drank and then poured all over me. It was HOT and muggy today!!!

The boys tagged along with me until we got to the Cajun Dome. Then I was on my own for a little over a mile. It was a long mile. I saw and 'Hi Fived' Lou and Maureen. Then I started saying my Rosary-fast. I try to say it fast, so I can walk fast. It's always a good time to pray when you don't have music. I prayed for many including Ole Man, Terry, Uncle Allen, and Jen-who all passed away within the last year. The event was a benefit for the Cancer Society, so many were others included in my prayers-especially Laurie's Paw Paw and Brandy's Aunt.

Got near the Cajun Dome and ran. Dakota and Dante' ran with me until I got near the finish line. Thanks Dakota and Dante'!

Try to move faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Went get and give sweaty hugs to everyone! Talked to more people. Then we ate some rice with a red gravy with HUGE shrimp, chicken, and sausage. (Shrimp is my favorite food.) They also had some chocolate chip cookies. Who could ask for more?

Went with the family to the GAMES inside the Cajun Dome until noon. Not a good after race thing to do. The twins had a great time playing the games inside. Came home, ate, and took a nap. Then off to Dylan's school for another activity.

Daisy and Quentin were all fired up, they want to start running/walking and maybe tri-ing. That would be great! BEAR said they need to come to Cajun Man to see the whole Tri, not just the ride and run. I am encouraging them to do Cajun Cup with us. It's a fun and wonderful and local 10K. They did go walk 3 miles late yesterday afternoon.

Ma and Pa enjoyed themselves. It's the first time they come to our races. They are looking forward to coming to others. YES!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess I have to 'know' how to swim. Couldn't hurt if I ran too.

Event comments:

Great first Tri race. Lots of fun! I can't wait to do it again.
Daisy took pictures. I'll try or get BEAR to post them later.

Last updated: 2006-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:57 | 200 yards | 02m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 138/142
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:19 | 08.21 miles | 15.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 115/142
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:44 | 02 miles | 12m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 132/142
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-20 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
Subject: Games of Acadiana Mini Triathlon

2006-08-20 1:31 PM
in reply to: #516687

Master
Shreveport, LA
Subject: RE: Games of Acadiana Mini Triathlon
Great race!!

Thanks for sending the pics.

Before too long, you will be teaching the Bear a few things.

Nice times in all 3 and especially the bike.

Are you doing any more this year?

2006-08-20 2:32 PM

User image

Queen BTich

CONGRATS ANGEL! Great job, you're a triathlete!

Now next time, make the kids go with you to the race. None of this sitting around stuff. Make them be at the race site at 5am. That'll teach them to be late.

Tell Bear you want some lace locks or Yankz soon.

2006-08-20 7:42 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

7/10 in your age group!! Angel that rocks!!  You know, had I known they were giving away cookies at this race I would have done it. See you guys at Cajunman!!

And Thanks for the prayers, We're taking all we can get. 

2006-08-20 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Girl, you are so AWESOME!!!!  Thanks so much for the prayers for PawPaw.  You never fail to give me the "warm fuzzies" with your kind heart!  I am so proud of you, TRIATHLETE!!!!!
2006-08-20 10:04 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Yeah! Good for you! A great performance for your first tri!

Ride Lots!! It works!

2006-08-20 10:15 PM

User image

Champion
Yay!  Congrats, Angel!!!!!!!!
2006-08-25 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

I hate when people are in the way in transition

Yup,you're a triathlete.

Congratulations!

2006-08-25 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Awesome job Angel! No one ever listens to mom, do they?

-Frank
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Games of Acadiana Mini Triathlon Rss Feed