United States
Mid-Pacific Road Runners Club
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, I could have sworn the start time for this race was 7am. Got out of bed at 4:30am, had coffee and a protein bar and drove to the race. We arrived there at about 6:05am. Strangely, there wasn't a large group of racers milling about waiting to start. I parked and walked down to get my packet and was then informed that the race had already started! OOPS! So, I hurry back to the car, put on shoes, race hat and sunglasses, pin on number and start my own race 23 mins after the official start.
Event warmup:

No warm up accept for the panic of arriving late.
Run
  • 1h 33m
  • 9.32 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

On the way out I was all alone since I started 23 mins late. I caught myself a few times picking up the pace more than I should in an attempt to try to catch up to the group. I felt okay going around the park but was feeling quite heavy and slow on my trip up the hill to the front of Diamond Head. Once I crested the hill and got to the first aid station, had some water and Amino Vital I felt pretty good. The downhill was very welcome and I made up good time as I let good ol' gravity work for me. Once I got close to this aid station I started passing some of the slowest participants. From then on I steadily passed folks along the way. Going down from the crest at Diamond Head I saw the leader on his way back. Wow! From then on I had a steady stream of racers coming at me as I trotted along. The trip from Diamond Head to the turnaround point was mostly flat. I kept a steady pace all the way. At the turnaround point I stopped and said hello to a police officer who was on traffic duty for the race and thanked the volunteers who were handing out drinks. Then I headed back. After the brief break I was newly refreshed and had some vigor in my step. I started cracking jokes and cheering the other races as I passed them. Eventually I made it back to the uphill on the return trip to the crest of Diamond Head. On the way out I had thought I would surely have to walk this portion but suprisingly I felt fine and ran the entire way to the aid station at the top. Once at the aid station I had a couple of cups of water as I walked through. I then started running again and took advantage of the downhill to again make up some time. I kept passing racers as I made may way toward the finish. Luckily there were a few markers on the pavement marking total miles from the Honolulu Marathon course which I believe has the same finish location as this race. That was helful since the markers told me when I had 3, 2 and 1 mile left. I again made use of gravity on the downhill headed back to Kapiolani Park. Once back on the flat I took up my steady pace until I got within sight of the finish area. Once I got close I picked up my knees a little higher and strode through the finish gate. The clock said I finished at 1:56 so I subtracted 23 mins for an actual course time of 1:33 which is better than I had expected. I was secretly hoping to beat 90 mins but I didn't miss it by much. I'm quite happy with my performance.
What would you do differently?:

Show up on time!
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down wasn't much of anything. I grabbed a can of juice from the beverages provided, picked up my race packet (they ran out of XL shirts :( ) and walked back to the car where my wife was waiting. After that we drove the long way around the island to home stopping at McD's for some breakfast burritos. Plus, I had a huge ice-water wating for me which was a very nice treat as was the beautiful views we had on our ride home. Once we got home though, I was really stiff when I got out of the car. Hopefully I won't be too stiff and sore tomorrow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could have been faster if I had started training earlier.

Event comments:

I can't really comment on this race as far as good or bad because I reall don't have anything to compare it against. Good enough for me though.

Last updated: 2006-08-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:00 | 9.32 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course was beautiful. We started at Kapiolani Park fronting Queens Beach, ran up Monsaratt and around the park toward the front of Diamond Head. Then we turned left and went along the front of Diamond Head and down Kahala Ave along the multi-million dollar homes until we turned left at the golf course. Run up to the gas station and turn around and head back the same way all the way to the start but without the trip around the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-20 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Subject: Norman Tamanaha Memorial 15k

2006-08-20 4:08 PM
in reply to: #516748

User image

Regular
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Subject: RE: Norman Tamanaha Memorial 15k
Good job on the race. My wife did the race also, I stayed home with the kids. Hopefully we can meet up at next weeks 5k. Keep up the good work.

Aloha,
Matt
2006-08-20 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

I just checked the race results and see that had I started on time I would have finished with a final of 1:23:09 and a placing of 271/745 overall and 30/58 in my age group.

And YES! We should meet up at the 5k next Sunday!

Edited by Shaved_Wookie 2006-08-20 9:32 PM
2006-08-21 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Glad you did the race anyway!! Lots of people would have gone home. Who was Norman Tamanaha?

I used to live in Hawaii Kai and loved the races in that area. Norman must have died after I left the area, whoever he was.
2006-08-21 2:10 PM
in reply to: #517495

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

ropkins - 2006-08-21 7:37 AM  Who was Norman Tamanaha?

I have no idea. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Norman Tamanaha Memorial 15k Rss Feed