General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2014-11-06 7:04 AM
in reply to: rsmoylan

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread
Originally posted by rsmoylan
Are you referring to the Ironman Louisville 2015 group? If so, I agree. There is some great chatter and information there.

Yes, that's the one.

2014-11-06 8:38 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
So what is everyone focusing on now to improve or get ready for this IM. I can start:

Swim: I swim 6 days a week and 2 days with a master's squad. Focusing on hard sets of 50's and 100's and a lot of IM strokes

Bike: Easy efforts mostly. 4 workouts a week. One day of VO2 intervals.

Run. Really concentrating on breaking 20 min in the 5k this winter, then will dial it back some and begin to build for the IM again.

What is everyone else doing?
2014-11-06 9:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Miami

So what is everyone focusing on now to improve or get ready for this IM. I can start:

Swim: I swim 6 days a week and 2 days with a master's squad. Focusing on hard sets of 50's and 100's and a lot of IM strokes

Bike: Easy efforts mostly. 4 workouts a week. One day of VO2 intervals.

Run. Really concentrating on breaking 20 min in the 5k this winter, then will dial it back some and begin to build for the IM again.

What is everyone else doing?

Eating and sleeping as much as I want!

I finished my season 10 days ago with 70.3 Miami and I did IM Barcelona on October 5th, so October was an intense month for me. I am going to take probably all November off, except for some swimming (2-3 times a week). It is by far my biggest weakness, so I don't want to lose the little I picked up this year. Then I will start easing back after Thanksgiving.

Edited by davidfedez 2014-11-06 9:20 AM
2014-11-06 11:51 AM

User image

New user

Springboro, Ohio
Gold member
That's a tough month !

My last IM was Chattanooga, and I spent most of October taking a break from SBR, and got back in the weight room a little. I'm now just starting to add in some easy swims, bikes, and runs. The winter goals are to improve speed in the swim and run, and improve FTP on the bike, before the build begins. Hopefully maintain at least some of those gains through to Louisville. I spent too much time on endurance-type workouts training for IMTX, and IMChoo.

2014-11-08 6:34 AM
in reply to: rwekin

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was sedentary for 6 weeks after my bike crash, so it took a while to get back into some sort of pattern. I'm running 5-6 days a week, building for a Dec 10k and Jan HM. I'm riding 3-4 times a week with a focus on short, intense rides. Lots of speed work on bike. I'm taking the month off from swimming. Will join a masters squad in Dec-Jan. My tri club puts on a 10k swim challenge at the end of winter and I plan to do that. Lowest hanging fruit is on bike and run.
2014-11-08 10:02 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Originally posted by jarvy01

I was sedentary for 6 weeks after my bike crash, so it took a while to get back into some sort of pattern. I'm running 5-6 days a week, building for a Dec 10k and Jan HM. I'm riding 3-4 times a week with a focus on short, intense rides. Lots of speed work on bike. I'm taking the month off from swimming. Will join a masters squad in Dec-Jan. My tri club puts on a 10k swim challenge at the end of winter and I plan to do that. Lowest hanging fruit is on bike and run.

Is your 10k swim challenge indoors or outdoors? Our master's squad does a 100 x 100 on or around new year's every year in the pool. Very fun, then we go have a huge brunch.

2014-11-09 6:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Is your 10k swim challenge indoors or outdoors? Our master's squad does a 100 x 100 on or around new year's every year in the pool. Very fun, then we go have a huge brunch.

The challenge is indoors at a 50 meter pool…similar to what your masters squad does. I'm really hoping to use it as motivation to get back in the pool. I absolutely love to swim. Don't know why I haven't been more disciplined about getting to pool lately! It isn't like me.

You swim 6 times a week? I think most of us could benefit from some sort of swim focus like that. I think it's fantastic! How many times per week will you swim once you are in build for IMKY?
2014-11-09 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

The challenge is indoors at a 50 meter pool…similar to what your masters squad does. I'm really hoping to use it as motivation to get back in the pool. I absolutely love to swim. Don't know why I haven't been more disciplined about getting to pool lately! It isn't like me.

You swim 6 times a week? I think most of us could benefit from some sort of swim focus like that. I think it's fantastic! How many times per week will you swim once you are in build for IMKY?

I had an injury last year that limited my ability to run, so I hooked up with this amazing master's team. I became good friends with the coach and asked her to coach me for my swimming in tri's. So I have been swimming 6 x's a week for the entire year and it has done amazing things for me. Not only am I swimming faster and coming out of the water more towards the front of the pack, I am feeling stronger on the bike because of my increased fitness. This allows me to take advantage of my bike and run strength.

This is my first full IM, so initially my plan is to continue the swimming 6x's per week. I will talk more with my coach once I see how the volume affects me.

I agree with you, most triathletes would do well to be in the water more frequently. How about you? What will your breakdown of workouts look like on your build?
2014-11-10 5:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I had an injury last year that limited my ability to run, so I hooked up with this amazing master's team. I became good friends with the coach and asked her to coach me for my swimming in tri's. So I have been swimming 6 x's a week for the entire year and it has done amazing things for me. Not only am I swimming faster and coming out of the water more towards the front of the pack, I am feeling stronger on the bike because of my increased fitness. This allows me to take advantage of my bike and run strength.

This is my first full IM, so initially my plan is to continue the swimming 6x's per week. I will talk more with my coach once I see how the volume affects me.

I agree with you, most triathletes would do well to be in the water more frequently. How about you? What will your breakdown of workouts look like on your build?

A generic version of what it will look like: 4 bikes (2 weekday rides with intervals + 1 mid-length ride on Saturday + 1 long ride on Sunday), 4-5 runs (long run on Wednesday), and 2-3 swims. I'll swim twice a week thru Muncie 70.3 because I can pull off a decent HIM swim on 2 x swims a week, but after that I'll bump to 3 swims (2 with masters squad and 1 OWS, as I live on Lake Erie).

I'm really going to focus on getting quality sleep this season. Last summer was brutal with a few 3 am wake ups in order to fit in the long rides. I think my training suffered because I wasn't getting enough sleep. I will definitely cut volume this time around if the same thing happens. A little bit of sleep sacrifice is normal, but that was just crazy.
2014-11-10 9:50 AM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Question about nutrition.

What is your approach for nutrition at IMLOU? I understand when I should be fueling up but do you carry your own nutrition or do you rely on what they have on-course? If you bring your own, where is your favorite place to stock up?
2014-11-10 10:24 AM
in reply to: lanzodt

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally posted by lanzodt

What is your approach for nutrition at IMLOU? I understand when I should be fueling up but do you carry your own nutrition or do you rely on what they have on-course? If you bring your own, where is your favorite place to stock up?

In training I train with what is on the course so I don't have to carry so much nutrition on race day. This won't be an option for everyone as all of our digestive systems are different. Give it a try and see if it will work for you.

2014-11-10 11:06 AM

User image

New user

Springboro, Ohio
Gold member
For the bike I carry to bottles of custom Infinit on a rear carrier, and just get water from the aid stations.
For the run I bring salt tabs with me, but otherwise live off the sports drink, water, and gels on the course.
You'll need to experiment with different things during training to see what works best for you.
2014-11-10 11:56 AM
in reply to: rwekin

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by rwekin For the bike I carry to bottles of custom Infinit on a rear carrier, and just get water from the aid stations. For the run I bring salt tabs with me, but otherwise live off the sports drink, water, and gels on the course. You'll need to experiment with different things during training to see what works best for you.

Same for me, on the bike I use a custom Infinit drink and concentrate the bottles (3x strength so I only have to carry 2 bottles for 6 hours - simple and easy). I also have a Bento box with items for variety's sake: Payday candy bar, Sports Beans, ibuprofen

On the run I make sure to have my favorite flavor of gels on my person (they usually don't carry mint chocolate or pineapple on courses - and I will gag at anything berry which seems to be the most popular) so I know I will be able to get something down. Everything else is from the aid stations on the run - a few grapes here or a few potato chips there. I never pass up Gatorade or Coke either. 

2014-11-10 4:27 PM

User image

Regular

I gave up gels and solid food due to GI issues and switched to concentrated Infinit. 2 bottles on the bike and another hand bottle for the run. I typically start consuming the on course Coke for the last 1/4 of the run. Outside of that, just water from the course.

It worked great at IMFL, and it'll be my plan for IMLou.
2014-11-11 4:28 AM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have Celiac disease, so I can't just grab whatever I want from aid stations. On bike I use 2 x concentrated bottles of Skratch labs sports drink, and 1 bottle premixed with all my gels. On run I use Skratch labs and 2 packs of Honeystinger chews. I'll grab coke on back half of marathon.

For Infinit users, how long did it take to get your custom mix right? It seems like trial and error. I'm interested in trying it. I have a few friends who swear by it.
2014-11-11 10:24 AM

User image

Regular
For Infinit users, how long did it take to get your custom mix right? It seems like trial and error. I'm interested in trying it. I have a few friends who swear by it.

I was mostly happy with my first custom Infinit mix. For my 2nd order, I changed it a bit to get ~50 more calories into a single serving, and to dial back the flavor a bit since I drink it concentrated (I use the fruit punch flavor). I suggest you keep an eye on the osmolality of the mix, ensure it stays in the green range.

I have yet to try it in a truly hot race, but love it so far.

2014-11-11 11:23 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jarvy01 I have Celiac disease, so I can't just grab whatever I want from aid stations. On bike I use 2 x concentrated bottles of Skratch labs sports drink, and 1 bottle premixed with all my gels. On run I use Skratch labs and 2 packs of Honeystinger chews. I'll grab coke on back half of marathon. For Infinit users, how long did it take to get your custom mix right? It seems like trial and error. I'm interested in trying it. I have a few friends who swear by it.

Hey I have Celiac too!

I also have upped my Infinit mix by 50 calories per hour after the first batch - I think I started at 200 per hour and found I was still getting hungry. 250 seems to be my sweet spot.

2014-11-11 12:13 PM

User image

New user

Springboro, Ohio
Gold member
It probably took me a few tries at it. I mix up 2 bottles with 5 scoops of powder apiece. I also shoot for around 250cal/hr. For me the issue was the sodium content, especially for the hot races. I've found that I need about 1000mg/hr, so to the Infinit mix I also add Elete mix-in to up to sodium. Definitely keep an eye on the osmolality, and dial back the flavor if you're going to concentrate the mix.
2014-11-11 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by lisac957

I did this race - Louisville - in 2011 but Nina it's a FULL Ironman, no half option (is that what you meant?)

I've also done Redman and it is VERY flat. A great race!

The rumor is that Kansas 70.3 (traditionally held the first weekend in June in Lawrence, KS) is "moving" to St. Louis on that same weekend - nothing has been announced yet so it's all hearsay, but pretty strong rumors. There's a good thread in Tri Talk and in the Kansas forum right now on it. 

Somebody over at ST dug this up, which seems to confirm the St. Louis 70.3 on June 7: http://www.cityofwildwood.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/2127?fileI...

It's not official yet, but seems to be getting very close. The doc lists the towns the bike course will visit, and I'm told it would be a hilly course. So it might be a good summer race for IMLou'ers. I'll consider it myself, if it happens.
2014-11-12 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Being as this is my first full I am reading what you guys and gals have been posting on nutrition plans. I have found through my long rides that I need some more substantial than Perform or Gatorade, and at some point I need something solid. So I am thinking about using Perpetuem (Which I know my body does well with) in a 5 hour bottle. Water and Perform for a bit of variety to fill in the gaps and some kind of power bar (so far cookie dough is heavenly). I will try and target 250 calories an hour in some longer training rides and see how that goes. I'll up the calories until I find that spot that I am not getting weak. Does that sound about right for a plan?
2014-11-12 1:30 PM

User image

Regular
Scott, I've never used Perpetuem, but the main knock I've hard about it is that it spoils rather quickly in the heat. But that shouldn't be an issue in an October race.

I'm a lightweight (race at about 140lbs) but 250 cal/hr on the bike seemed to work for me at IMFL. I didn't get bloated or hungry, and didn't bonk during the run, where I took in 125-150 cal/hr. It was cold that day, it's more difficult to get right in the heat. Testing what gets you through a 5 hour ride is one thing, but a failed bike nutrition plan might not manifest itself until well into the run.

2014-11-12 7:50 PM

User image

Regular
, Ohio
Alright, hate to change the subject but there is a ton I starting to think about for IMLOU. What is everyone planning on doing for the swim? XTERRA is having a decent sale and I'm thinking that it may not be a bad idea to get a wetsuit while it's on sale. I'm leaning towards the Vortex Sleeveless as I think I would get annoyed in a full suit. Thoughts?
2014-11-13 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I prefer a sleeveless wetsuit. I just have a better feel for the water with it, and I want to be comfortable. I own a Blue Seventy full and wore it for IMMT because it was so darn cold, but I prefer the sleeveless. I grew up swimming and don't have any major technique flaws, so I don't get as big a benefit from the full as others do. If I were at the super pointy end of races, I'd wear the full because it provides a marginal speed benefit.
2014-11-13 8:46 AM

User image

Miami

Alright, hate to change the subject but there is a ton I starting to think about for IMLOU. What is everyone planning on doing for the swim? XTERRA is having a decent sale and I'm thinking that it may not be a bad idea to get a wetsuit while it's on sale. I'm leaning towards the Vortex Sleeveless as I think I would get annoyed in a full suit. Thoughts?

Hey landzodt! I am selling my Xterra Vector Pro (full sleeves); it is a size medium. I only used it once for IMTX this year and haven't touched since. I live in Miami, so I don't really need one all year round, only when racing in colder places. Next year my team will be sponsored by a different brand and I have to wear their wetsuit now, that's why I am selling it.

PM if you are interested!
2014-11-13 9:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Sleeveless wetsuit for me. I have a full that I used for IM Wisconsin but every time I used it my shoulders would ache the rest of the day (including on race day). I'm like Jarvy I don't have any major technique flaws, but the material pulling on my shoulders for 80 minutes impacts me more than I'd like. 

With that said, if anyone is interested in buying my full sleeve wetsuit let me know It's a women's Xterra size Medium Small. It's VERY snug on me at 130 pounds, would probably fit perfect on a 120-pound female.

Edited by lisac957 2014-11-13 9:15 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville 2015 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 56358 Posts: 370

2013-12-14 11:11 AM Cajuntriguy

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by vasqlartek
Views: 105032 Posts: 1070

2012-09-06 6:49 AM 7ofClubs

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by sdanaher
Views: 228132 Posts: 2778

2011-11-01 2:10 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by dlink
Views: 164918 Posts: 1740

2010-11-07 9:12 AM kdlsch111

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173276 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.

date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: