General Discussion Race Reports! » Publix Family Fitness Weekend Coca-Cola Classic Tr Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Publix Family Fitness Weekend Coca-Cola Classic Tr - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tierra Verde, Florida
United States
Publix Family Fitness Weekend
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 16/19
Pre-race routine:

Fighting off the cold I received from DS's first week at preschool. Ate a bar and some pretzels and drank water. Got a call from my sister that she was still in Orlando at 5am, but she made it to the race. Tried not to stress about that. Got my bike together, got set up and walked to the beach with DS and DH.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and put my face in a few times to test my goggles for leakage. Peed while I was there. Watched bouys getting set up and other waves start.
Swim
  • 15m 24s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Just kept getting in a glump of folks trying to get around the bouys, but was pretty happy with my swim overall. Didn't get seasick!
What would you do differently?:

Push it a bit more. Get my arms and shoulders in better shape before Miami. They bothered me the rest of the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Still working on the clipins on the new bike, but it was ok. Need some tri shoes.

Not much...just do it all faster
Bike
  • 36m
  • 11 miles
  • 18.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a blast and actually passed a few folks. Then to be humbled by the whirring of a disc wheeled serious triathlete passing me by. Saw one guy with SERIOUS lycra degeneration but he had a nice hiney so I didn't tell him. I love my new bike. I am going to get a fitting for it before the next race.

I would like to dial in my bike a bit better. I think narrower handlebars, and maybe some aero bars would help me just grind it out on a flat course like this.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I really want to learn the thing about leaving your shoes on the bike, and maybe no socks. My feet were so squishy.

Not much, just faster again. Maybe get tri shoes for bike and learn how to leave them clipped in.
Run
  • 38m 46s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot and I was tired. I was VERY happy I brought my water bottle along, as there was one stop you hit at mile 1 and 2, with lukewarm water. Ate a Jolly Rancher cherry at the turn around. It was hard to keep myself running because my SHOULDERS hurt. My legs were ready to roll...weird. I'll have to work on that for Miami. The scenery was nice. Passed my sister who doesn't really run, on the out/back, and slipped her a Jolly Rancher candy.

I wouldn't let that woman with the 45 on the back of her leg pass me in the last minute of the race....
Post race
Warm down:

Drank more colder water, ate an apple and some grapes, got DS ready for his kids duathlon. Ran about a mile with him during his race, DH had to do the rest. (Kid on training wheel bike is faster than I run!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Shoulder/arm strength of all things, and a head cold, and always, need to train more and harder!

Event comments:

They could have used some more help, but they pulled off an amazing race with those they had. The swim was just a bit late, they had to get the bouys set up and seemed they could have used extra folks on the water. It was very well organized and beautifully supported with great sponsors and an AWESOME AWESOME post race party with free dinner and drinks on the Pier in St. Pete where my sister won a cruise to the Bahamas!

Last updated: 2006-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:24 | 440 yards | 03m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pretty much swim out a little ways, turn left and swim along the beach, then turn back in before getting swept under the fishing pier. Some folks said there was a current. I don't know, never swam in salt water other than playing at the beach. It felt ok for me. Started in the middle of the pack because everyone was on the sides. Saw DS and DH walking along the beach when I sited. Finished right with my sister! Felt pretty good tho' not quite in the rhythm.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:00 | 11 miles | 18.33 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Out to one end of the island, then back to the other end, then stop in the middle. Road was a little rough but luckily I'd trained on roads like that. FLAT FLAT FLAT
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:46 | 03.1 miles | 12m 30s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on the bike path. Smooth concrete in the blazing sun.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-20 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: Publix Family Fitness Weekend Coca-Cola Classic Tr

2006-08-20 5:19 PM
in reply to: #516750

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-08-22 10:49 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-08-26 1:08 PM

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Publix Family Fitness Weekend Coca-Cola Classic Tr

Hey Ann,

Great race!  Those were some fast swim and bike times, especially with a head cold.  That was strange with your shoulders effecting your run.    It sounds like you had a good time and way to hold off the women in your age group at the finish.  Tell your sister congratulations on winning the trip and congratulations to you on a great finish.

Ernie 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Publix Family Fitness Weekend Coca-Cola Classic Tr Rss Feed