United States
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 46m 27s
Overall Rank = 112/1409
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/74
Pre-race routine:

This routine was about as easy as it gets. I woke up 45 minutes before rendezvousing with the club, and the gun was 45 minutes after that. I'd had a pb&honey and coffee, but think I could have used a little more quick fuel like gels.
Event warmup:

None, really. We walked 1/3 of a mile to the start and hung around, chatted and took pictures.
Run
  • 46m 27s
  • 6 kms
  • 07m 44s  min/km
Comments:

That hill isn't easy! I made sure I was about 10% back at the gun, and went with the pace I'd learned on the course this past year. A *lot* of people go out fast and drop back, especially the last mile when it gets to 20%, people are fried, and walk.

Since I know that hill, I pretty much ignored the crowd which was continually passing and falling back for the first two and a half miles.

It felt like hard work, but I realized that I could have been faster since my run fit the standard definition for an easy training run, being able to hold a regular conversation. Especially at the end I was chatting with people to encourage them, tell them how close we were to the finish, and well, lots of fun stuff.

Here are the results.
What would you do differently?:

Run hard enough so that I have to take a breath between sentences? ;) If I had been more fierce, I would have done what I do in tris and continually work to reel-in the person in front of me.
Post race
Warm down:

I got to chat with my running club members and friends from the bike club who had shown up. That made the endless wait for the shuttle back down the hill worthwhile.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I'm in pretty good shape. I think I could have moved up a minute or two and a few places if I had pushed.

Event comments:

Loved this. It'll probably make the annual list.

Last updated: 2014-05-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:46:27 | 06 kms | 07m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 8/74
Overall: 112/1409
Performance: Good
Course: To the top of the Tram Road!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-25 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: 29th Annual Tram Road Challenge
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 29th Annual Tram Road Challenge Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

29th Annual Paddy Kelly 5 Mile Road Race

Started by joeyg
Views: 1142 Posts: 2

2011-01-21 10:49 AM ClassicTRI

29th Annual Paddy Kelly 5 Mile Road Race

Started by sconner
Views: 878 Posts: 1

2010-02-14 3:53 PM sconner

29th Annual Mayfaire Classic 5K Road Race & Walk

Started by flmonkey_gbp
Views: 800 Posts: 1

2008-05-21 2:58 PM flmonkey_gbp

29th Annual Run for the Magic

Started by unclerobin
Views: 724 Posts: 1

2006-08-19 8:42 PM unclerobin

29th annual Marine Corps Marathon

Started by Fargo296
Views: 1022 Posts: 2

2004-11-04 8:43 PM tech_geezer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : January 17, 2012
author : AMSSM
The purpose of the annual exam is to identify predisposing medical concerns that potentially can distract or diminish the training effectiveness of the triathlete.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : October 30, 2005
author : Ron
Different ways to use and combine the detailed performance member training plans for a complete, annual season. You will be pleasantly surprised by your results on these plans.