General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 11m 55s
Overall Rank = 122/1162
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/196
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15 and had breakfast of oatmeal, bananna & peanut butter (Thanks to the HIE for opening up breakfast early). My wife dropped me off at the site and prepped and relaxed until the shuttles for the half started. Was on one of the first shuttles and then relaxed some more. We watched the full athletes swim by and then put on the wet suit and got in the water.
Event warmup:

None really, swam a few stokes from the shore to the dock where we were starting.
Swim
  • 34m 23s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

We started from inside a dock area because the tide was still pretty strong. I was near the back but still managed to take a pretty swift kick in the face in the first 15 seconds. I attempted to get my goggles back in place but could not get the left eye to seal, so I swam with it mostly filled with water the entire time. It was tough to sight with one eye, but I was able to breath bi-laterally and as long as I saw swimmers on both sides I was pretty comfortable. The tide created a very nice push and I tried to just relax and take it reasonably easy. I realized about half way through that the lube on the back of my neck was not doing the job and I was getting burned pretty bad. Was able to spot the exit and get up the ladder pretty comfortable.
What would you do differently?:

Not get kicked in the face, better lube on the neck
Transition 1
  • 05m 52s
Comments:

Strippers had a little problem getting my wet suit off and then there was a very long run from swim exit to T1. I had quite a bit of trouble getting my long sleeve UA shirt on.

Roll sleeves on long sleeve shirt, maybe stash some shoes/flops for the long run
Bike
  • 2h 46m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I was able to mount the bike ok and took it easy getting going with lots of turns and some speed bumps. Riding over the grates on the bridge was interesting. Once I got off the island, I was able to settle in to aero and stay pretty steady. There were a few headwinds and tailwinds, but generally the wind was not bad. The course is mostly flat, but since I do most of my rides on the trainer, I am used to continuous pedaling. I was able to keep a pretty steady pace for the entire ride. On the turn back onto 421, I was grabbing a drink of water and it slipped up on me. I almost missed the turn but was able to correct without major trouble. I took 4 gus and a bottle each of gatorade & water.

Not much, I have been riding almost exclusively on the trainer so it was difficult to know how that was going to translate to actual riding. I did not want to blow up on the run, so I maybe could have gone a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

Decent transition, took time to change socks.

Wear same socks for bike and run
Run
  • 1h 42m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to avoid blowing up so I planned to run about 8:15 miles while walking each of the aid stations, hopefully averaging 8:30/mile. I started a little fast but was feeling pretty good. I settled in a little less than 8 minute miles, and skipped every other aid station. I continued to feel good and picked it up for the last few miles to the finish. I had 1 gu coming out of transition and then a little coke and water every other mile, with no stomach issues (yay!)

Run in shoes after changing laces to get them loosened up. They were way too tight for the first few miles.
Post race
Warm down:

6:17 to 5:12 in 5 months!!!!!!!

I came across the line and had purposely not looked at my watch tracking overall time, just the run split. I knew I had crushed my stretch goal of 5:40 but had not done the math to see how much. I ended up being an hour+ faster than Raleigh 5 months earlier. The course was much faster, but I was also in much better shape, especially on the bike. I have been doing the mid-volume half plan on Trainerroad for the last 2 months and it definitely helped.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I felt like it was pretty close to a perfect race to end my first season of triathlon. The weather was great, the course was a perfect fit for my skill set. It was a great reward for all the early mornings and time spent training.

Event comments:

Great race, considering doing the full for my first iron distance next year.

Last updated: 2014-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:23 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 82/196
Overall: 476/1162
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Sleeveless
Course: point to point with several turns through the channel
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:46:07 | 56 miles | 20.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/196
Overall: 216/1162
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly 4 lane roads with long stretches of no turns
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:42:00 | 13.1 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/196
Overall: 62/1162
Performance: Good
Course: One small out and back and then another longer out and back. Reasonably flat and shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-10-26 5:45 PM

Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2014-10-27 2:40 PM
in reply to: #5063054

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Great job out there! that's a heck of an improvement in 5 months! Too bad about being kicked! Flustering and can get you started on the wrong foot.
Have to say that this course is meant for ppl that like to do most of their work on the trainer! The lack of wind was beautiful! Made for a good ride!
Once again, great job out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by mdfahy
Views: 2073 Posts: 3

2011-11-07 1:36 PM RunRene

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1693 Posts: 1

2011-10-30 3:49 PM La Tortuga

Started by t-ray2
Views: 1423 Posts: 2

2010-11-30 11:27 AM kenbert61

Started by ceco911
Views: 2318 Posts: 1

2010-11-18 8:57 PM ceco911

Started by carterbarton1
Views: 1658 Posts: 2

2010-11-15 1:10 PM argylemonkey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.
date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.