General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Dash 5k Run & Kids' Fun Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Monster Dash 5k Run & Kids' Fun Run - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Spokane, Washington
United States
http://spokaneswifts.com/monsterdash/
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 44m 35s
Overall Rank = 243/379
Age Group = 1-70
Age Group Rank = 153/258
Pre-race routine:

Tried to fix my costume, but the pins put my rats upside down, so it didn't work. Ended up hanging them off my race belt. Hung two off my hair clip.
Event warmup:

Blue room break, ate a snack, relaxed in my truck, walked around a bit. Although the temperatures were in the mid-40s, the cold northern wind made it much colder. I was pretty cold. Wore my new track pants and warm-up jacket.
Run
  • 44m 35s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 14m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

No water stations. Before the race started, they had us line up at the start line, and then they had the costume contest. I probably stood for about 20 minutes, which was really hard on my left knee, although I kept moving. However, it wasn't enough, and my knee stiffened up quite a bit. It took me probably a half mile before my knee loosened up enough to run comfortably.

Snotted a lot. Had to slow to a walk sometimes to blow my nose. Constantly blowing my nose.

First two miles in 29 minutes and change; third mile in 13 minutes! I just worked really hard and pushed myself. When I came over the hill and saw the timer at 44 minutes, I pushed myself even harder to come in under 45 minutes and made it! Woohoo!

I was less than five minutes out of third place.
What would you do differently?:

Hopefully, I won't have to stand so much before the start!
Post race
Warm down:

Granola bars and apples while I posted my time to Facebook. Then blue room break and back to watch the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Standing for 20 minutes before the race started while they did the costume contest caused my knee to stiffen up. It took about a half mile to loosen it up enough to run comfortably. Also, mile two had a lot of broken pavement, which caused me to have to watch the ground carefully. It tripped me up once, but I managed to stay on my feet. But, I could have pushed myself harder.

Event comments:

Although awards were given out to age groups, the final race results are not broken out by age group, so I don't know how well I placed within the 50-59 group. All I know is how I placed over all, as well as how I placed among women. I know I was less than 5 minutes behind the third place finisher in my age group, and I know there were several women who finished after her and before me, but that's it.

I would do this again.

Last updated: 2014-09-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:35 | 03.12 miles | 14m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/258
Overall: 243/379
Performance: Good
The autocalculator for the race log is incorrect. Correct pace is 14:17/mile.
Course: Manito Park. Lots of broken pavement on mile 2, which slowed me down and even tripped me once, but I managed to stay on my feet. The weather was good, in the mid-40s and sunny with some clouds, but a northern wind, which made it pretty cold. I stayed cold!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-10-27 1:13 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: Monster Dash 5k Run & Kids' Fun Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Dash 5k Run & Kids' Fun Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

31st Donald R. Carroll Toys for Kids 5K Run/Fun Walk

Started by Jschrenker
Views: 893 Posts: 1

2012-08-18 7:41 PM Jschrenker

CHASCO Healthy Start 5K & Kids Fun Run

Started by katartizo
Views: 523 Posts: 1

2012-05-28 8:21 PM katartizo

"Living in the Light" 10K/5K Run/Walk/Kid's Fun Run

Started by bergerma
Views: 973 Posts: 1

2010-11-06 12:24 PM bergerma

DUMC Upward Sports 5K/10K and Kid's Fun Run

Started by mchutka
Views: 972 Posts: 1

2010-10-30 12:55 PM mchutka

Run for the Kids 5k Run/Walk

Started by bcotten534
Views: 608 Posts: 1

2006-10-16 1:44 PM bcotten534
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.