Budu
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 21m 4s
Overall Rank = 3/163
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/32
Pre-race routine:

Had a beer the night before - Two Beers Brewing, Grey Skies Dark Pale Ale. "A nod to the Northwest weather and the flavors our beer drinkers have come to love."

Day of: Pulled on my khaki shorts and knotted my Laura-Dern-Oversized shirt at the waste. Attached my Jurassic Park badge and pulled up my hiking socks. They say "nothing new on race day" but I must say, this was all new territory.
Event warmup:

Ran a really easy loop of the course, up the long hill, through the woods and back down. Made sure I could even run in my get-up, had some water then did a series of strides. All of this just seemed so hilarious dressed the way I was. People in the park who were not doing the race were looking at me like I was nuts.
Run
  • 21m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

As some of you all know I was assaulted at the end of last month. My nose was shattered, a couple teeth broken, a concussion and some pretty bad cuts and bruises on my head. I had to have surgery on my nose and took a pretty significant setback to my marathon training. I've been able to run through most of this but it's difficult to breath and so most of the running has just been easy miles.

I run with a very competitive team and we are in the thick of cross country season. We race with the local D1 and D2 colleges so I get a regular ass-whooping. I really needed a break from the super competitive vibe (don't get me wrong, I love it but it's hard when you aren't in a position to compete.) This race was just down the road and I thought it was a perfect time to take a little break and so something silly.

I lined up near the front. Most of the people in the front were not wearing costumes so, it was a little awkward standing there in my khaki shorts and pink button up shirt, Jurassic Park visitor's badge gently flapping around in the wind.

They did a countdown and 3,2,1 GO! We were off! The loop is basically all uphill on the first half and then across the park, then rolling up and down on the other side. We did two loops of this.

I had to capitalize on my strength, running uphill, without sapping all of my energy for the finish. My plan was to be conservative on the first loop and evaluating where I was in the pack, then strategize my moves for the second half.

The first lap left me in fourth place overall, first woman. As we came around to start the second loop I was able to look around and see who was nearby. I didn't see any women and there was one guy right in front of my who had passed me on a downhill segment. I knew that in order to hold him off I would have to pass him on the uphill and get enough separation so he couldn't get me on the down. Downhill running is something I need to continue to work on. I'm getting better but it's not a strength.

As we reached the top of the hill I had put a pretty good gap between us. I could hear his steps but not his breathing.

Coming into the down I really focused on quick turnover and not overstriding. The trail was pretty muddy and slick and I alllllmoooost ate it. My khakis were riding up and my short was sliding off my shoulder. I rolled up my sleeves a little more as I was running.

I was passing a lot of the slower folks who were on their first lap and really having to communicate so I could get around them on the narrow trail. For the most part, people responded well and moved to the right. One little girl did NOT want me to pass. She was unwilling to respond to "on your left," a true competitor deep down. I tried another approach, complimenting her on her speed. While she was distracted by the compliment, I darted around her. Take that 5 year old! Don't mess with Dr. Ellie Sattler, she's a real b****.

On the last section of downhill I didn't hear the guys footsteps at all and I knew I had dropped him. Now I just had to stay on my feet and finish strong. There was one more roller section of hills I navigated before I rounded the corner to the finish chute which was the one asphalt portion of the trail. It was also downhill so I had to be reallllllly careful coming through. So, instead of the usual death sprint to the finish I slowed down a bit and gave high fives to the people cheering.

I ended up #1 woman and third overall, the second place was at least 2' behind.

What would you do differently?:

Nada, this was just for fun
Post race
Warm down:

Ran the trails for a few miles then watched the kids races before the awards ceremony

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Recovering from a broken face

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-10-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:04 | 03.11 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/32
Overall: 3/163
Performance: Below average
Course: We will be running mostly on trails, and the entire run will take place on the upper part of the park. We will be running two loops. The race starts near Shelter #1, near the zip line. We'll run North along trail #6, passing the wading pool and shelter #5. At the North end of the park, runners will loop up and around to head South on trail #2, down and around the bathrooms near zipline park, then back north again for loop #2. Finish line and starting line are in the same spot.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-10-27 1:32 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Monster Dash 5k Trail Race

2014-10-27 3:41 PM
in reply to: #5063218

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Monster Dash 5k Trail Race

Great way to have fun with a race and kill it!! 

Good call to do a more "fun" event over the intensity of cross country right now.

2014-10-27 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Sounds like a fun race and a great change of pace.  So glad to hear you're healing up and still killing it with your running!

2014-10-27 4:35 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Awesome!  Sounds like a lot of fun.  

Glad to hear you are recovering well.

2014-10-27 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I like that you found a fun, competative outlet. And even killed it... IN COSTUME!!! You are such a badazz!!!!!!! As for the little girl, maybe you should've gone Lolo and hurdled her
2014-10-27 7:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

Nice going! Like the getup.

2014-10-27 8:24 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Great job on the race and costume! If anyone could out run a velociraptor it's you. Hope the healing process goes well.
2014-10-28 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Don't mess with Dr. Ellie Salty, she's a real b****!!!!

You rocked another one, congratulations. It sure seems llike the setback will not be a setback for too long, you are really moving quite well.  Keep on healing.

2014-10-28 9:18 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

*smiling* You are such a bad azz inspiration!  Love so much about this - your perseverence, attitude, sportsmanship, and of course performance.  Big congrats, Salty, so glad to see you having fun AND kicking butt in the process!

2014-10-28 12:51 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Kicking azz, giving compliments as a strategy, and looking hawt doing it.  How much better does it get than that?  Super race, Salty!!

2014-10-29 10:45 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
You are clearly a world class A$$ KICKER!! Awesome job and cute costume!

2014-10-31 12:01 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner I like that you found a fun, competative outlet. And even killed it... IN COSTUME!!! You are such a badazz!!!!!!! As for the little girl, maybe you should've gone Lolo and hurdled her

HAHA! That would have been great. I think I would need more stretch in my khakis for that.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Dash 5k Trail Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Monster Dash 5k Run & Kids' Fun Run

Started by burner2
Views: 938 Posts: 1

2014-10-27 1:13 PM burner2

Monster Dash 5K

Started by kati_lh
Views: 833 Posts: 1

2013-11-04 8:55 AM kati_lh

Dirt Monster 5 Mile Trail Race

Started by warriorprncss3
Views: 730 Posts: 1

2010-11-26 8:28 PM warriorprncss3

Monster Dash 5K

Started by maria40nc
Views: 1358 Posts: 5

2009-10-28 10:48 AM neuronet

Monster Dash 5K

Started by teachertrek
Views: 818 Posts: 1

2007-10-27 9:20 PM teachertrek
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.