General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 12m 13s
Overall Rank = 114/654
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/93
Pre-race routine:

Went out to eat Rigatoni at Terrazzo Trattoria the night before. Went to bed around 9:00pm or so and woke up around 5:00am. Ate 2 blueberry muffins and a small banana with lemonade juice.
Event warmup:

Walk around and watch full distance athletes swim by the channel. Stayed out of the water until 5 minutes before the start time. Not much of warming up for the swim. I figured I'd save the energy for the race.
Swim
  • 29m 51s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was confident of the navigation up to the first orange buoy. I didn't see any other buoy after I made the first left turn. Followed some sign and swimmers to make sure I was heading the right way. Felt pretty good throughout the whole swim. Salty water taste is hard to forget. Felt some neck chafe towards the end of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Remember to put extra Body Glide on my neck.
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

Out of the swim, took some extra time to shower in a warm water to rinse salt off of myself. Running about thousands yards to get to transition and figuring out which direction I'm coming into transition was a bit confusing. Didn't take too long to figure out where I was, so that was good.
Bike
  • 2h 52m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Did the bike leg comfortably to save some energy for the run leg. I think it was a smart decision. Bike course is a bit busier than what I'm used to on smaller races. There was a lot of passing and be-passed moments. Caught up to some full distance athletes on the bike course. There were some older full distance riders riding 2 abreast (hoping not purposely).

Get more saddle time, which obviously would improve over time. Not much else.
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Dropped my rear water bottle as I was getting off my bike at transition. Thankfully, an awesome volunteer picked it up for me, which saved me times from chasing the bottle. Everything else went as planned, except I didn't go in the changing tent. Just sat at the corner of the racking area to put my shoes and socks on.

Don't sit in front of women's changing tent.
Run
  • 1h 43m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Kept a steady pace of being slightly faster. I felt a little cramping on my thigh around mile 8, so slowed down the tempo and then drank more water before getting my speed back. Ate 1 vanilla GU, 1 vanilla Cliff Shot from the course, and 1 espresso Cliff Shot before finishing strong. Pretty much took some water at every aid station.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with water in my hand. Stretched enough to make sure I don't tighten up. Went to grab some food and beer. Went to go watch other athletes complete the course. Walked back to the Convention Center to grab some of my transition bags.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike leg. Need more training on my bike.

Event comments:

Great fun race! The race was very organized and great enthusiastic volunteers abound. If you want a fast course to do your Half Iron distance, this would be it. Great idea on the video athlete meeting. This saved time tremendously for traveling participant like me. I wish there were more T1 bus tickets available, since I missed out on buying them. Grabbed a cab with a help of hotel close by to get back to T1.

Last updated: 2014-10-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:51 | 2112 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/93
Overall: 183/654
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU T:3
Course: Water channel that has a current to help with the swim this time. Not sure when the high tide was, but seemed like everyone got a pretty fast swim time.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:52:42 | 56 miles | 19.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/93
Overall: 291/654
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty flat and fast, except for some bridge climb and rolling hill at few spots. The grated section of the bridge was a bit iffy. It made my bike travel left and right. I made sure to stay on my horn to stay in balance and made conscious effort to stay straight.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:43:00 | 13.1 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/93
Overall: 61/654
Course: Out and back. Starts with some cobble stoned streets and ends the course the same way. Glad I'm OK with uneven surfaces, but I imagine that could easily trip off some people. Some hills going up at mile 1, but overall a pretty pleasant course. Cheering on the course was phenomenal and entertaining.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-27 10:22 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by mdfahy
Views: 2064 Posts: 3

2011-11-07 1:36 PM RunRene

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1683 Posts: 1

2011-10-30 3:49 PM La Tortuga

Started by t-ray2
Views: 1417 Posts: 2

2010-11-30 11:27 AM kenbert61

Started by ceco911
Views: 2311 Posts: 1

2010-11-18 8:57 PM ceco911

Started by carterbarton1
Views: 1651 Posts: 2

2010-11-15 1:10 PM argylemonkey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.
date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.