General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tarsal coalition? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-30 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: Tarsal coalition?
Hello all - About four years ago, I finally got a good diagnosis for ankle issues I'd been having for years prior. It's called tarsal coalition, and it is affecting both of my ankles. Essentially, where most people have space in their joint for it to move and bend properly, I just have more bone. Some of the bones that make up my ankle joint never separated properly and instead formed a coalition. I was born like this but didn't feel it until I started being more active in my 20s (I'm looking at you, triathlon).

If you want more detail and some pics, here's a link: http://www.orthopediatrics.com/docs/Guides/tarsal_condition.html

Anyway, I am having a hard time finding anyone (in person or on message boards) that's had the surgery that's being suggested for me - a complete ankle fusion, meaning a screw in through my heel and up toward the center of my ankle joint, with possibly some additional hardware on either side of the screw. I am in a great deal of pain all the time, and my ability to even walk properly is severely limited due to the pain. I believe that the surgery could take away some of the pain but what I am not sure of is what my ability to walk, cycle, swim, etc will be. I am seeing my surgeon again soon and will ask, but I would rather hear from anyone who has had to deal with this.

Please weigh in if you have any advice or feedback! Thanks in advance!

Edited by smarti 2014-10-30 5:34 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tarsal coalition? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Stress fracture 2nd meta tarsal

Started by joelcrad3
Views: 1613 Posts: 12

2012-07-23 2:10 PM Hilltopper1972
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?