Palmetto State Triathlon Series
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 42s
Overall Rank = 123/162
Age Group = Novice
Age Group Rank = 15/33
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15, was at the race site by 5:50. Everything was smooth. Derek was with me- he's a big help to hold and carry stuff. Plus he's a good cheerleader. Today is my 34th birthday, so it was extra special to share this with him!
Event warmup:

Did a little bit in the pool. Otherwise nothing else...
Swim
  • 09m 10s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Age Group = Novice Division. Ok first of all let me say that my time included getting out and running to the transition area. That was about 30-40 seconds of my time. Secondly, I want to say this was a horrible swim for me. I started out too quickly, and trying to pass guy #2 was impossible because he was moving from one side of the lane to the other and I ended up having to stop and stand on the bottom because of the traffic jam at the wall, after all this it took me a couple of laps to find my rythm again. Also, I was sucking wind having to deal with a 50m pool. Not used to that, and it is a big difference.
What would you do differently?:

Practice a few times at least in a 50 meter pool. Also need to work more on sprints. Didn't feel particularly strong this morning. But I have to keep it in perspective, I did rank 10th of 33 in the Novice group. #9 was the girl who one our division.....
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

No wetsuit. Because of drag I swam in my bra top and tri shorts and I had my tri top stuffed in the shorts so as I was running to transition I was pulling it up and putting it on. Put shoes on before I tried to mount the bike and I mounted it the old fashion way...

Nothing
Bike
  • 57m 25s
  • 15 miles
  • 15.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Keep in mind my age group rank is really my novice rank. Felt really strong on the bike, was able to pass 2 people. I was able to really crank it out on the flatter areas and hold my own on the hills. I really enjoyed this. I felt like I truly did the best I could.

Ride more! (working on it!) I think I should be able to shave at least 10 minutes off of my ride between now and next year!
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I was last in on my rack and they didn't leave me enough room. GRRRRR. I had to slide a bike over. That cost me seconds. GRRRRRR. Courtesy people that's all I'm asking...

nothing
Run
  • 32m 13s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Remember, my age group rank is really my novice rank out of 33. Felt really strong. Found my legs at 3/4 mile marker. Hated the trail- I was scared I was going to twist my ankle... It was hard to run up, the right side was washed out in places.

Run more. Working on getting my time down.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Derek, got water and food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more base and some speedwork- it will all come in time. I didn't start tri training until the 1st week of June!

Event comments:

My first tri! No longer a tri-virgin! And I loved it, I have big plans for next year! I am going to work hard over the winter to improve. I still have a du planned in October, but I am going to really work hard to increase my base and drop some time. I think I will race novice once or twice more, just so I can improve before I throw myself in the thick of it with the age groupers. I am still nervous trying to ride alongside of a lot of people... But next year, game on baby!!!

Last updated: 2006-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:10 | 437 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/33
Overall: 94/162
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 50 meter pool, 8 lengths.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:57:25 | 15 miles | 15.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/33
Overall: 124/162
Wind: None
Course: Very Hilly!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:13 | 03 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/33
Overall: 130/162
Course: Around the parking lot, up a trail (very rough and uneven) through another parking lot, around a neighborhood and back down through the parking lot and trail, did 2 loops of this.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-20 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: Greenville Triatholn

2006-08-21 1:18 PM
in reply to: #516879

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
Subject: RE: Greenville Triatholn
Congrats on the first tri. I thought about it but decided to do the Lyman race instead. I hope I can do as well on my first. One question: Why didn't you swim in your tri top?
2006-08-21 2:26 PM
in reply to: #517627

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
It was kinda loose and when I practiced with it I noticed a lot of drag. I even noticed the drag with the tri shorts but I couldn't do without those!

I think had I gotten one piece that fit right I would have been fine, but I bought 2 pieces and I lost a good amount of weight before the event so the top was bigger than it should have been....
2006-08-21 2:46 PM
in reply to: #516879

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Way to go, Suzanne! I saw at least two people who had fallen on that trail. It was tricky. Way to hammer that bike course! It says a lot about your biking ability to feel so positive and strong on such a tough course. Hope you had a great birthday. You definitely had a great first tri time. Hope to see you at more of the races.

Pam
2006-08-21 2:51 PM
in reply to: #517763

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Thanks, I really did enjoy it. It does help that I trained on a lot of hills- so I wasn't killed by them (even though I went up them in the granny gear) I recovered at the top and was good to go. Tris are so much fun! I can't wait to see how much I improve over the winter. You will defnitely see me at Parris Island next spring....

I did have a good birthday- I feel much younger than I did last year! LOL!!! Time to get to work on the run and the bike!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenville Triatholn Rss Feed