General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eagleman vs Timberman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-05 9:07 PM

User image

Subject: Eagleman vs Timberman
Has anyone done both races? I've done Timberman twice and I'm thinking I'd like to try something different for my third HIM. I live in the Boston area and it's obviously easier to get to Timberman, but the drive down to Maryland isn't so bad. (I'd love to do Mont-Tremblant, but that always sells out in a heartbeat).

I've liked Timberman, particularly the clear lake swim and the fact that the race is well organized. On the other hand, I think the Timberman bike course is pretty boring (it's mostly on a highway) and my other problem is there aren't many good restaurants near the race for great dinners the night before.

I appreciate any wisdom that anyone has. I know that Eagleman is very flat, but I don't mind the Timberman hills. I'm just trying to see if the trek down to Maryland will be worth it.

Edited by halfironmike 2014-11-05 9:08 PM

2014-11-06 7:08 AM
in reply to: halfironmike

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Eagleman vs Timberman
The Eagleman swim is in the Choptank river, and that can be hit or miss (it's named that for a reason), and has been right on the border of wetsuit legal, probably a 50/50 shot.

A lot of people say the Eagleman course is boring.  I'm not sure if it's because it's so flat (not one single hill) or if it's because it's so quiet.  I actually think it's really pretty.. but it does go through a wildlife refuge, and you won't see anybody on the course for long periods of time (spectator-wise).

The thing about Eagleman is that it can get really really HOT.  Also, lodging is tricky.  I am signed up for Eagleman next year and am staying in the closest hotel I could find, in Easton about 20-30 minutes away.
2014-11-06 11:14 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I don't think Eagleman is necessarily the answer for the things you found 'wanting' at Timberman.  You'll get another well organized race, but give up the clear lake swim.  Don't think there is anything exciting, nor particularly interesting about the Eagleman ride or run.  Unless you get excited by flatness.  And potentially sweltering heat.  Lodging options are somewhat limited near the race, though at least the restaurants may be new to you--we found a dedent Italian place not too far away.  Not trying to put down Eagleman.  It's a good race, typically, with plenty of fast people and a good course to really push it.  It will certainly be a change from Timberman.

2014-11-07 8:18 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Thanks for this great feedback. You both mentioned the lodging issue, which sounds challenging. Also, as a longtime New Englander, the hot temps can sometimes make me wilt. Based on this feedback, I'm now thinking about Boulder!
2014-11-07 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Sounds like you're already thinking of looking elsewhere, but in case you're still on the fence, I've done both and am also from the Boston area. I did Eagleman this year and was pretty neutral on it, which is likely not what you want when you're driving several hours to get to a race. The swim ended up not being wetsuit legal and the water was really dirty. Apparently, I had dirt all over my face for the entire race. Timberman's swim is much nicer.

The bike was pretty boring. Honestly, I can remember one part where I saw an eagle and another where I saw a turtle that stood out, but otherwise, I was just pedaling along. My time was fairly decent, but that was to be expected with such a flat course.

The run was brutal! It was really hot and I hate running in the heat. I ended up getting GI issues due to the amount of fluids I was taking in, so that was not fun.

I don't mean to make it sound like a terrible race, it was okay, but if you're looking to travel somewhere, okay is probably not worth it. Good luck finding another one. I'm going to do Pumpkinman next year. Really well reviewed and only an hour or so away so no need for a hotel!
2014-11-07 2:03 PM
in reply to: KiterChick

User image

Originally posted by KiterChick
I'm going to do Pumpkinman next year. Really well reviewed and only an hour or so away so no need for a hotel!

This one is on my list too. I usually try to wrap up my season before Labor Day, but coastal Maine is one of my favorite places.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eagleman vs Timberman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Steelhead vs Timberman

Started by austhokie
Views: 723 Posts: 4

2014-05-08 10:38 AM austhokie

Mooseman vs Timberman?

Started by tcovert
Views: 2744 Posts: 13

2010-11-07 7:52 PM newyorkfan21

Mooseman vs. Timberman

Started by GoFaster
Views: 1393 Posts: 4

2010-08-26 3:14 PM wstchstrTriathlete

Multisports vs Mark Allen vs Bt vs others IM training

Started by timebaron
Views: 2448 Posts: 20

2008-04-10 3:49 PM timebaron

Compare bike course: Timberman vs Buffalo Springs

Started by famelec
Views: 964 Posts: 3

2008-01-17 4:44 PM dmwoods59
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.
date : August 31, 2004
GILFORD, New Hampshire (August 23, 2004) – After thunderous, heavy rains on Saturday challenged sprint triathletes to middle-distance-like efforts, Sunday’s middle-distance Timberman Triathlon (1.9 km