NZ
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 29m 6s
Overall Rank = 281/2906
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 16/184
Pre-race routine:

Up at 2:30am because of the need to get the 4:20am ferry to the start! But because of time difference between Auckland and home this was really 11:30pm body time and it made it a very long day from the body perspective!

2x strong coffee and a bowl of noodles in the apartment. 1 banana about 30 mins before start.
Event warmup:

15 min gentle stretching in apartment before leaving.

5 mins of very gentle jog. Did not want to do anything that would inflame the R) Achilles tendon. Actually was relatively pain-free the by the start.

No issues with the R) adductor at the start.
Run
  • 3h 29m 6s
  • 42.19 kms
  • 04m 58s  min/km
Comments:

Given the injury interrupted preparation [ R) Achilles and R) adductor] and the slow recovery from the last marathon in July I was unable to do any long runs in the lead up. 21km was the longest I was able to do and that was only once in the training cycle. Not the ideal lead up for a marathon.

Given this lack of distance work and also the Achilles injury meaning no chance of doing any hill work or pace work it was inevitable that while I would complete the distance, I would be lacking any ability to hold a fast pace over the whole way. So the strategy was that if it was going to be ugly at the end in any event, I may as well try and see if I could post a reasonable first half and then see where the cards lay over the last half.

Last year this race was my first completed marathon in 4 years due to either non starts or non finishes due to injury. Having sorted out the main problem last August I was able to get enough training in to run a conservative Auckland Marathon and finally get one under the belt again. And so over the next 12 months I completed 3 more marathons (incl. this one) and 3 half marathons. A very good (record in fact) year in all respects even though this marathon was the toughest ever.

During the first half I averaged 4:39 per km which is very respectable given how hilly it is a but the second half was a big struggle with L) hamstring cramp from 28km. Again the left leg rears it's ugly head in long races!

I had to stop 9 times(!) in the last half to fend off cramp and this pushed my average pace out to 5:15 per km. Very disappointing but I got the the end despite a monumental mental and physical struggle to get there!

Despite all the issues, I ran 5 minutes quicker than last year :)
What would you do differently?:

Apart from doing more long runs ( i.e. be uninjured enough to be able to do them), the main issue going forward will be to sort out the ongoing saga of weakness (?) in the L) leg - specifically the hamstrings but the whole kinetic chain needs review.
Post race
Warm down:

Traditional beer at the end (!) plus a 10 min. recovery massage on both legs - calves and hamstrings only.

15 min. walk back to apartment.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As said above I need to find a cure for this L) hamstring cramp which is becoming a (sad) feature of long races.

Event comments:

Very scenic course. Well organised.

Last updated: 2014-02-06 12:00 AM
Running
03:29:06 | 42.19 kms | 04m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 16/184
Overall: 281/2906
Performance: Bad
1st half: 1:38:06 2nd half: 1:51:00 Average HR: 156 Maximum HR: 167
Course: Devonport (start) -> Takapuna -> Harbour Bridge -> Mission Bay -> Victoria Park (finish)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-11-07 12:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
Subject: Auckland Marathon 2014
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Auckland Marathon 2014 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Calgary Police Half Marathon 2014

Started by tcolwell
Views: 729 Posts: 1

2014-09-26 10:34 AM tcolwell

Dam to Dam Half Marathon 2014

Started by midwesttrimom
Views: 2050 Posts: 3

2014-06-14 5:47 PM midwesttrimom

Plattsburgh Half Marathon 2014

Started by elrasc06
Views: 948 Posts: 1

2014-05-22 8:17 AM elrasc06

New Year's Race Los Angeles 2014

Started by johndiaz00
Views: 1295 Posts: 1

2014-01-06 10:43 AM johndiaz00

OWS series 2013/2014 - round 2

Started by biggles69
Views: 1193 Posts: 2

2013-11-16 6:33 AM TriAya
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.
date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!