General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
JMC Partners
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 6s
Overall Rank = 263/661
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 56/96
Pre-race routine:

I went crazy and switched things up this time. Instead of just having my usual banana and orange juice for breakfast, I also had a Clif Bar about 1/2 hour before race time. I actually think it made a positive difference and it's something I will add to the routine.
Event warmup:

Because of the very early start time (transition closed at 6am) and the fact that we were so late getting to transition, I barely had a chance to do any stretching much less a warm-up.
Swim
  • 31m 7s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the leg I was happiest with. Considering how tough the navigation was, I stayed on course and nailed a great time. The only negative was that I didn't find a good pair of feet to draft behind and basically swam solo the whole race.
What would you do differently?:

Keep looking for that elusive pair of feet to draft behind.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Yeah, I knew my transitions were going to be long, considering how much progress I had made in this area this summer. But I didn't care. Quite frankly, I needed the time to recover my HR and prep for the next event.

Practice taking wetsuit off more ( I didn't do it at all before this race.)
Bike
  • 1h 15m 24s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Honestly, I hit this bike as hard as I could. When I was passed, it was by people on much better bikes with aerobars. As I have noted on previous RR's, I really need to upgrade to aero's to time better. That doesn't mean the engine couldn't also use a little work :) Also, my cornering is comparatively much better than other racers. I always seem to choose good lines and make up time on others in the turns. The one thing that cost me a 20mph average was losing my water bottle coming out of transition after hitting a storm sewer grate and having to retrieve it.

It's just a matter of training harder now. I have to hit the CT hard this winter.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Again, not great, but it was fine. I took some extra time to take a good long drink. Compared to previous races, I will note that my butt wasn't nearly as sore-- maybe I'm in better shape.

Nothing.
Run
  • 52m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Going forward in my training, I think I need to push myself harder on some longer runs to really learn where my "redline" is. While I felt I pushed things hard here, I think I need to push things too hard to know where that point lies.

Nothing-- it was a decent run for me for an Oly.
Post race
Warm down:

I reache dthe finish line and stopped. Then I drank a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having a tri-bike/aerobars, need to keep improving my running.

Event comments:

Great race. Decent setting and very well organized Only negatives were the Saturday bike check-in (a royal pain in the a$$), the very early start (transition closed at 6am) and the lack of a very good selection of food afterward. At $100, it's also a bit pricey.

Last updated: 2006-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:07 | 1640 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 56/96
Overall: 0/661
Performance: Good
Suit: promotion wetsuit
Course: The venue was a complete surprise-- a beautiful spring-fed lake in the middle of an industrial corporate park beside a power plant. The course was a triangle. The water was absolutely perfect-- clean and just the right temp for swimming in a wetsuit. The only negative was the bright early morning sunshine made spotting the buoys nearly impossible and probably added to my time.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:24 | 24.85 miles | 19.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 55/96
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was fast and flat as a pancake. Even better, the pavement was excellent and not "sticky" like the rural roads I'm used to.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:45 | 06.21 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 58/96
Performance: Average
Course: Flat, flat, flat. This was a course built for speed and again I think I hit it about as well as I could at this point. Ideal conditions, plenty of aid stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-20 9:23 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race

2006-08-20 9:55 PM
in reply to: #516973

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race

I don't think we knew you were there???!!! We had a little BT gathering! You could have been on one of our teams for the Pleasant Prairie Team Challenge!

We'll get you next year.

Nice job!!! Laughing

2006-08-21 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
great race. Again, way to hit your goal! This sounds like a really nice course (esp. for speed). I think this one might be on the schedule for next year. It is a bit expensive but I hear you get a great goodie bag.
2006-08-21 10:52 AM
in reply to: #516999

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Yeah, I didn't really decide to do this one until Tri-ing for Children's got shortened by rain. I'm sorry I missed you all-- it sounds like you had a great time!
2006-08-21 2:23 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I think I pm'd you a week or so before the race, didn't know how else to let you know about the Challenge.  Too bad but I'm sure we'll be doing races together at some point.  If everyone keeps using the race nexus we can keep setting up get togethers like this.  It really enhances the event.  Congrats on a great race.

BTW, I heard there were people trying to make up for the high entry fee by snagging multiple bottles of Gatorade Endurance that were left out on the table by the run start, but that could just be a rumor.

2006-08-21 3:29 PM
in reply to: #517724

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I don't know what you're talking about and you can't prove anything.

2006-08-21 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
Hey, great race! Reading these race reports makes me even more excited to do an Oly next year. I wish I could have met you, but there's next year. (See comments left on Hangloose's report...darn headache/bee sting...)

So this means the results are in, right?
2006-08-21 4:04 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great race. shoot, you were even in our age group and we missed you. We had a blast, next year you will have to join the madness. If you haven't seen the thread, check it out on Challenge me.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed