General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon- My 1st Tri! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon- My 1st Tri! - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m 53s
Overall Rank = 71/190
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/40
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45. Ate PB toast and banana. I hate eating in the morning but did it anyways to get some energy. Went to put my bike rack on the car and could not find the bolt to hook it into the car. I think one of my 3 kids ran away with it...probably sitting in my yard somewhere! Thankfully I have a suburban, so put the 3 kids in the middle seat and put my bike in the back. All loaded, all 5 of us. Got to McDonalds to buy my kids some Sasauge McMuffins...usually stay away from greasy McDs but it is a routine thing when we take them early somewhere. SO we get to McDonalds at 5:15ish, order the 3 sandwiches...waited for about 7 MINUTES!! When you you ever wait at the window for 7 minutes for grease? It figures, the one time we dont need or want fresh hot food, we have to wait for it. The kids were not going to eat the sandwiches until we got to the race anyways! Waiting in line for 7 minutes, my 2 year old daughter asks where he shoes are? We forgot them, we drove back to the house...10 minute waste. Finally on the road at 5:40ish. I drove like a maniac and made good time to the race. Guess what, the transition area is wide open, everyone is going to be late cause it is RAINING! Being my first tri- not too excited to do it in the rain! Found a spot and set up.
Event warmup:

It is freezing outside, sideways rain and everyone is shivering. My age group was supposed to start at 8:30ish...so I got in water. BTW, I could not swim about 10 weeks ago, Ive always had a fear of OW. I practiced alot but nothing can prepare you for race day. Nerves, adrenaline, etc. It was warmer in the water than outside! Poor women had to start in the blowing wind...pretty bad waves/swells. I saw a breaststroker barely moving, I thought she was in slow motion because of the waves. I swam about 100meters..felt pretty good, then I sat in water for about 30 minutes talking to Velocomp, Himself and some chatty college kid from Iowa..felt like forever. Not sure why it took so long to get everyone started?
Swim
  • 13m 28s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Finally ready to start my first tri! They started a person every 5 seconds...Im off. Started very well. About 150 meters in I was kicked by a breaststroker...ARRRRG. Threw me off a bit. Once that happened, my swim sucked! Started thinking about breathing and sighting and thought to much. I had to turn over and backstroke about 50 meters to regain my composed. I swam like a drunk person. I need to work on sighting better!! Finished at my goal of 12 minutes + 1:53 run to T1....but knew I could have done better.
What would you do differently?:

Do some more duathalons and experience getting sucker punched by swimmers. That really threw me off. I will be in the pool tomorrow AM !
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Getting out of the water, I felt like puking. Not sure why? I think I was worked up from the swim, being disappointed with my effort. Other than that T1 was OK. I think I was a little slow on the run up the trans area.

Practice getting out of the water and running hard!
Bike
  • 45m 27s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Finally the bike...I can kick some butt. Didnt happen. Took me about 10 minutes from the swim to calm down and catch my breath. Once I did, I watched my cadence and stayed at 90. Started having some calf cramps, stood up and streched a bit...went away in about 5 minutes. The roads were wet and I did not feel fast. I dont think I rolled well. Felt pretty good climbing, only 1 rider passed me at about the halfway turnaroud...then Himself flew by me. He was riding well. Did the turn and my clock said 22 minutes...WHAT? Shoud have been about 19 minutes. I was pissed! Stewed the whole ride back trying to figure about why my time was so off. Finished in about 45 minutes....I was very dissapointed! Although only 3 people passed me on the bike. Come to find out AFTER THE RACE, the bike mileage was increased from 12 to 14.3 miles to give a wider turn lane due to the rain.

Track my mileage better! What an idiot. I was so focused on cadence, I did not flip over to mileage.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Good T2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so pissed about my miscalculated bike time, that my run started out tough. Could not figure out why I was struggling so much today. Took forever for mile 1 to come, then fell into a decent stride. Followed 2 different guys at different times to get pace. VOlunteers handed me a drink...thought it was water, took a swig and it was Gatorade! I cant stand sweet sports drink while in motion...Saw VeloCOmp and ZDog on the run..finally finish line in sight. Tried to run harder...but did not have much left. Crossed the finish line 1:26. Im officially a Triathlete

Run more. I spent alot of time on swim and bike in past weeks, failed to run train. My run time indicated that. I have nailed a 23:00 5Ks in duathlons earlier this summer...I know I can run faster
Post race
Warm down:

Saw my Wife and 3 kids! What a great sight, they had cowbells and all!

We lost an infant child in June and this race was for her. Love you Pearl, miss you. She was the reason I raced today.

Event comments:

Nice event overall. The food was a little wimpy though.

Last updated: 2006-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:28 | 500 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/190
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Choopy water, raining.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:27 | 14.3 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Wet, slow roads.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-20 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon- My 1st Tri!

2006-08-20 10:35 PM
in reply to: #516976

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon- My 1st Tri!
Nice time, FIRST TIMER !!! I will have to hustle to break 1:30. I'll be chasing you at the Fall Frenzy ! Good job ! (btw, Are you sure we raced 14 mile on the bike?)
2006-08-20 11:50 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Great job, Josh! It doesn't matter how you finish...you're still a triathlete! Sorry the conditions sucked.  That really screws with your brain on your first one!  I'm really proud of you for doing the swim, in OW, under horrible water conditions!

And I am sure sweet Baby P was giving you angel wings today. She knew her Daddy was doing this for her.  She felt your love with every turn of your legs. 

Great job! 

Melanie 

PS. I miss her too. 

2006-08-21 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Way to go. I knew you'd beat me because of the Run. And of course my bike sucked, but it sounds like you weren't too thrilled with your ride either.

Congrats on your first race. You rocked it. And I'm glad you met your goal and did this for Pearl.

Oh yeah and way to turn around and get your kids shoes. I probably would have been like, "O.k. we'll drop me off and then you guys can go back and get the shoes." .
You get an A+ for parenting.
2006-08-21 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, Colorado
Good job and congrats!  I think the conditions slowed everyone down some and the extra bike miles threw me off as well.
2006-08-21 9:37 AM
in reply to: #517208

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
I didn't realize this was your first tri also!  Congrats!  I'll be posting my report soon.  Sorry I didn't get to meet up with everyone after the race, I had to get going because my husband needed to leave.

2006-08-21 9:42 AM

User image

Regular
Lakewood CO

Congratulations!  Great job on your first tri!  I hope to be able to meet you at an event or training one of these days.

-Mark

2006-08-21 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Nice job out there and CONGRATS on your 1st TRI!!!  Sorry I didn't get to meet you, although I'm sure I saw you out there either coming out of the water or at the finish line (or both...  I was volunteering).  Hope to see you at the Fall Frenzy!!  NICE JOB!

2006-08-21 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
Denver

Good job out there Josh - good to see you had fun and hopefully hit some goals! Keep training well and you'll be amazed at the improvements you make for next year. I was looking for you on the run after the turn around, but obviously missed you somewhere. Oh well.

Good luck at the Fall Frenzy!

2006-08-21 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver

Great job on your first tri - especially considering the conditions and unexpected bike course extension!

I have had that same feeling during/coming out of the swim and what has really helped me is wearing ear plugs.  I don't wear them in the pool, but just for OWS.

2006-08-21 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Great job on your first tri. They'll all seem easy now after you survived this one. I hear ya about the bike course. A bit demoralizing when you expect the turnaround and its no where to be seen. Hope to meet you one of these days.

2006-08-21 2:58 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

What a cool race for you to do....and now I get your screen name.....that is just too cool for words.  Pearl would be proud! 

Nice race!  And it is WAY cool that your kids came to see it, especially at that hour of the morning! 

2006-08-21 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Nice race....horrible conditions - but you did well in spite. 
2006-08-22 8:56 PM

First of all... GO ILLINI !!!

Nice job in your first tri!

I'm also a tri-rookie this year...it's a blast...I hope that you're enjoying it, too.

ILL...

Edited by fun2tri 2006-08-22 8:57 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon- My 1st Tri! Rss Feed