Australian Triathlon Forum Western Australia » Need Advice - which Aus/NZ IM race ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-11 2:11 PM

User image

Danville
Subject: Need Advice - which Aus/NZ IM race ?
Looking for some advice from someone in Australia or New Zealand, or someone who has done a couple of the IM races there.

I have a once in my lifetime (probably) opportunity to go to Australia/New Zealand in 2015 or 2016 for a full IM distance race (would be my third). I'm looking for a flatter bike course (or at least not too climby) and mild temps (I tend to melt in the heat above 80).

Question : if you could only do one IM race in Aus/NAZ, which one would you choose and WHY ?
- IM Australia
- IM Western Australia
- IM Melbourne
- IM Cairns
- IM New Zealand

Leaning towards IM WA but see reports that the weather can be hot and windy.

Any thoughts or advice is welcome !
(I'll also post this in the AUS/NAZ forum).

2014-12-17 7:27 AM
in reply to: Kevin26.2

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Need Advice - which Aus/NZ IM race ?
I haven't done IM WA but spectated there this year. It was beautiful, no wind until later in the evening, around 8:30pm and a lovely 27*C which is smack on your 80*F mark. Truly a fairly mild summers day and I would say that the average temp is probably normally higher than this.
2015-03-03 9:51 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Need Advice - which Aus/NZ IM race ?
Originally posted by Kevin26.2

Looking for some advice from someone in Australia or New Zealand, or someone who has done a couple of the IM races there.

I have a once in my lifetime (probably) opportunity to go to Australia/New Zealand in 2015 or 2016 for a full IM distance race (would be my third). I'm looking for a flatter bike course (or at least not too climby) and mild temps (I tend to melt in the heat above 80).

Question : if you could only do one IM race in Aus/NAZ, which one would you choose and WHY ?
- IM Australia
- IM Western Australia
- IM Melbourne
- IM Cairns
- IM New Zealand

Leaning towards IM WA but see reports that the weather can be hot and windy.

Any thoughts or advice is welcome !
(I'll also post this in the AUS/NAZ forum).

I did IMWA last year. Beautiful conditions, very flat. The swim is probably one the best you'll do. Even 2km out to sea, the water is only 10 - 15ft deep and crystal clear. The bike is flat and goes through a picturesque forest. The run is also flat and has spectators lining the route most of the way. It runs parallel to the beach. It is exposed though, no shade and it can get hot and windy. Usually the winds don't come in till later in the morning/lunch when most people will be off the bike or nearing the end of the bike.

I would say if you don't like the heat, maybe avoid IMWA? You could get lucky and get low 70s which would not be unusual, but generally you'd expect 80s. A few years ago it hit 100.

Edited by zedzded 2015-03-03 9:55 PM
New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Western Australia » Need Advice - which Aus/NZ IM race ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anybody racing Hillarys?

Started by nigelw
Views: 2809 Posts: 5

2010-04-03 4:40 AM nigelw

Any Tri Bikes for sale? and anyone need a rider for the Busso Tri??

Started by djrdiesel
Views: 2489 Posts: 3

2010-02-01 7:27 PM daisymouse

Im from WA

Started by Jamie79
Views: 2096 Posts: 7

2009-05-20 8:48 PM daisymouse

Mock Race Day Distances

Started by Crazytracey
Views: 2245 Posts: 6

2009-06-21 6:30 AM Try-Athlete
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.