General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diving Well Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-14 8:51 AM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: Diving Well Swim
I thought some of you would get a laugh out of this brief story. I have been avoiding swimming in the diving well on campus (which is only open in the morning slot) for two reasons: (1) it's open a little earlier for my schedule with an hour drive in to work 5:45-8:00AM, where me and morning haven't been getting along well as of late AND (2) I won't lie..........it seemed a little scary to swim in 17 ft deep water! :D However, an experiment I am running forced me to be in to work before the birds even got up and I finally gave it a shot and to my surprise there were 5 other people who are crazier than me! This is not what I expected. The first few laps I did it actually felt kind of neat and the nerves quickly dissipated. I could also tell that the diving well water is significantly warmer than the regular competition pool, which was a nice touch with the harsh winter weather setting in here in Iowa. So to any others out there like me who were perhaps more of number (2) than (1), it will be OK!

Cheers,

"no longer scared runner in the deep end" Ha!

2014-11-14 9:27 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Diving Well Swim

I bet you swim in more than that in OWSs.  Good for you for conquering your apprehension!!

2014-11-14 10:21 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
You should try vertical laps in the well. That would be really cool.
2014-11-14 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
That totally brought back some memories for me! When I first started swimming a few years ago I could barely get across the pool. After about 4 months of this I got myself a lesson at the local university. I about had a heart attack when the instructor asked me if I was comfortable swimming in the diving well. I of course said yes. Ended up not being a big deal. I just made sure I had caught my breath before each lap. Now I have done several pool sprints at the same place. They let us warm up in the diving well and we do the race in the main pool. No biggie now. . It's good to concur fears!
2014-11-14 9:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ChemNerd23 I thought some of you would get a laugh out of this brief story. I have been avoiding swimming in the diving well on campus (which is only open in the morning slot) for two reasons: (1) it's open a little earlier for my schedule with an hour drive in to work 5:45-8:00AM, where me and morning haven't been getting along well as of late AND (2) I won't lie..........it seemed a little scary to swim in 17 ft deep water! :D However, an experiment I am running forced me to be in to work before the birds even got up and I finally gave it a shot and to my surprise there were 5 other people who are crazier than me! This is not what I expected. The first few laps I did it actually felt kind of neat and the nerves quickly dissipated. I could also tell that the diving well water is significantly warmer than the regular competition pool, which was a nice touch with the harsh winter weather setting in here in Iowa. So to any others out there like me who were perhaps more of number (2) than (1), it will be OK!

Cheers,

"no longer scared runner in the deep end" Ha!

You should have seen the old Los Angeles Coliseum Olympic pool.  The "shallow" end was something like 12 feet and went down to 33 feet in the deep end.  That pool was built for the 1932 Olympics and the theory at the time was a deep pool is a fast pool.  That is still somewhat true, but they have figured out it doesn't need to be quite so deep.  That pool was so deep that the water actually had a blue tint.

Glad you got over the deep end!

Edited by k9car363 2014-11-14 9:15 PM
2014-11-14 10:20 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I just got in the diving well, so vertical laps will be for next season

2014-11-15 7:09 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
This reminds me of my first time swimmimg in a new rec center. I commited to tri and my local rec only had a 5' deep section in the MIDDLE of the pool, shallow, " deep," then shallow again at the walls. This is where I learned to swim.

Finally I ventured out to a new pool and during my first lap I see scooba divers practicing off to my right. It really freaked me out & for quite some time if was apprehensive of swimmimg there.

Yadda, yadda, yadda it's all good now & the open water is my new favorite place to swim. Cheers!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diving Well Swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I BETTER get better at swimming

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1673 Posts: 10

2010-04-04 6:54 PM PennState

Swim questions - backstroke/freestyle/diving

Started by lvthgme
Views: 997 Posts: 8

2007-03-23 6:43 PM TRIFOR40

Best Swimming Instructional Video

Started by Motivated
Views: 1033 Posts: 6

2004-09-21 11:08 AM lifesgreat

Just had the best swim!!

Started by toppings17
Views: 885 Posts: 13

2004-05-16 8:05 PM Aikane

personal best swim

Started by aircontrol
Views: 868 Posts: 4

2004-03-29 4:24 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2014
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
Is there an ideal head position? The criteria below will give you a general idea of when you know you have found your sweet spot for head position.

date : February 24, 2012
author : SwimSmart
comments : 9
Improve your technique and swim better with less effort by knowing these simple facts.
date : July 7, 2009
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Work less to swim better. Part two of this video series covers the principles of active streamlining to swim faster with less effort.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.