United States
~70F / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 30m 26s
Overall Rank = 92/190(M)
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/53
Pre-race routine:

Got up ~5am and walked the dog in a near down pour. Had put most of my stuff in the car the night before, so there wasn't a whole lot left to do. Had breakfast - ovaltine and some choc/vanilla pudding. Set up coffee maker for Mary. Stopped for coffee on the way down to Aurora Res. Rain had slowed down quite a bit by now and had pretty much stopped by the time I parked.
Event warmup:

After setting up my transition area, went for ~10 min run. Came back and went over transition area again, then made sure I knew where I was relative to the entrance/exits. Put on wetsuit and went down to the beach. Got in the water, which felt warmer than the air at that point, swam for 4-5 min. As I got out they were starting the physically challenged and then the 60+ age group.

I should have waited a bit to swim as I then stood around wet and it started to rain again and the wind picked up. Felt bad for the women who faced a headwind and some chop for the first part of the race. I was huddled by the corner of the lifegaurd shelter with some other guys, trying to stay out of the wind (heard later that the place to be was the bathroom/changing room - apparently about 50 guys hung out there while the women got started). An unplanned warm-up activity was alternating periods of near convulsive shivering with intervals of hopping up and down to get warm. I don't think that I will keep this as part of my pre-race warm-up routine though.

As I stood shivering on the beach, I wished that my jockstrap (I mean FIANCEE!!) was there. Then I could have had shoes, a rain jacket etc and handed those off to her just before I lined up for the swim start. But no, she was home in the nice warm comfy bed, sleeping away. Or make that oversleeping, since I neglected to reset the alarm, and so she didn't get up in time to make it to the early riding class at the Col. Therapuetic Riding Cneter where she is a valunteer (SORRY!!!!)

Swim
  • 13m 53s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was by far my best OWS. Not that I can swim fast by any stretch of the imagination, but this is the first (out of 4, so far) OWS where I did not resort to side stroke or breast stroke AT ALL!. I was relaxed, found a rythm early on and stuck with it. I did have trouble sighting on the way back into the beach - I kept seeing the buoys for the first half. Then after I passed the last orange buoy I had trouble sighting the exit.

I love my new wetsuit!
What would you do differently?:

For this race, not much. I was pleased with this because I didn't feel like it was a struggle. Now I just need learn to swim faster!
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

The wetsuit strippers were a nice touch at this race. Had trouble with socks and shoes - I think because they were damp from the rain.

Order better weather?
Bike
  • 49m 37s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 17.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty good going out, started passing people regularly once I turned onto Quincy. I've ridden the course a couple of times, so I knew what to expect ITO hills, road conditions, where the turn around was - or make that where it was SUPPOSED TO BE! Turns out they extended it by > 2 mi so that the turn around would be in a wider section and therfore safer on the wet roads. I found this didn't really bother me - I knew where it was supposed to be and it obviously wasn't there, so I knew that my time would be slower than I had projected. Was still passing people and feeling good after the turn around, then at the bottom of one of the hills I got pushed onto a particularly rough section of the shoulder by a pick-up truck that passed a little too close. It didn't really phase me at the time (except that I had to slow some), but I'm pretty sure that led to the flat tire I had 1/2 way up the next hill. I've had so many flat tires on this particular bike since I started riding it 2 months ag0 - it has seemd like at least one a week AAGGHHH!

It was the rear tire, I got the wheel off and then noticed the bright green cap on the stem...and remembered that I had put slime tubes on a couple of weeks ago. So I decided to gamble that it would work, decided not to take the tire off, just used a CO2 cartridge and prayed that it would hold for the last 3.5 miles. It held well enough that I finished without having to stop again, but I felt like I rode hestitantly on that last section. I just wish that I remebered about the slime tube BEFORE I took the wheel off, espcially since it was the rear wheel. So my avg speed on this course was > 2 mph slower than I was at the 5430 sprint in June when I rode my mountain bike.

Get a bike with better wheels.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

No problems ar issues here, might have run faster with the bike, but it the pavement was wet and slick.

Nothing
Run
  • 23m 55s
  • 3.17 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was worried about running on the concrete path as I've battled various forms of shin pain since high school. The first mile or so I did feel some pressure in the front of my right leg, but it settled down without my having to slow down or walk. Felt good for the rest of the run and very strong by the last mile. One place on the race website it says the course would be 5K (3.1 mi), bit another sections said it was a bit longer - 3.17 mi. I've gone with the longer because the description of water stations best matched that.

Passed Z-dog right at the turn around - it was nice to see another BTer out there.

Concrete aside, I liked this course. The winding path kept it mentally interesting.

Nothing. I wanted to finish under 24 min, which I did.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched some, Put on a dry shirt, walked around and stretched some more (calves felt really tight - maybe becuase of the concrete??). Grabbed a sandwich, took a look at the prelim results, then had to head out as I had to be in Wheatridge in a semi-socially presentable form (ie no lycra) by 1pm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flat tire & not being that great on the hills on the bike. Lack of swim speed.

Overall, this was a good race. Obviously I would rather not have had a flat tire which probably cost me 3-4 min. I had been thinking that if everything was perfect, I would finish under 1:20 and if there were some glitches I'd come in between 1:25 and 1:30. So I was just over that with a longer bike course and a flat tire.

When I chose my two races for this first year my goals were to finish and have fun in the first race without caring too much where I finished, but for my second race I wanted to finsish at least in the MOP, which I was able to do in this race.

Event comments:

The race was well organized and fun. The food was okay, but it didn't look like there was much offered in the way of post race activities.

Last updated: 2006-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:53 | 547 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/53
Overall: 134/190(M)
Performance: Good
12:23 was what my watch showed coming out of the water, so ~1:30 of my time for this segment was the run up to the transition area. AVG HR:171
Suit: Orca Predator 2
Course: Out on a diagonal and then back on a diagonal - a V-shape. Time trial start - ~5 seconds between people
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:37 | 14.3 miles | 17.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/53
Overall: 99/190(M)
Performance: Average
AVG HR: 164 (low because of stop for flat tire)
Wind: Some
Course: Out on the park roads, right onto Quincy. Course was extended by 2+ miles to have a safer place to make the turn around.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:55 | 03.17 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/53
Overall: 59/190(M)
Performance: Good
1st 1/2: 177bpm & 12min 25 sec 2nd 1/2: 181bpm & 11min 30 sec
Course: Small rolling hills along concrete path
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 12:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon

2006-08-21 7:39 AM
in reply to: #517079

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon
Good race. Sorry I didn't get to meet you. Also sorry about the weather. Rain is not fun... Good job on the swim, to bad on the bike, but you really did well on the run.

Way to go...
2006-08-21 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, Colorado

Great job!  Your bike split is awesome considering you had a flat.  I use the sime tubes on my mountain bike but now I may consider them for my road bike next time.

2006-08-21 10:00 AM

User image

Regular
Lakewood CO

Sorry to hear about the flat.  I have been running slime and gotorskins for fear of getting one on course.  Great work on the run.  I would love to be able to run that fast!

-Mark

2006-08-21 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Nice job out there!!!  I was one of the wet-suit strippers at this race, so glad to hear we helped   Sorry about the flat, but great news that you finished within your MOP goal!!  Hope to see you at more races!
2006-08-21 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Denver

Sorry I didn't get to meet you, but it sounds like you had a good time out there despite the weather and the flat. Hope you had fun with both your races and will be back at it next year! Nice job with the swim too!

As an aside, if you're getting a lot of flats, you might want to check the rim tape to make sure it's on right.

2006-08-21 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Nice work...flats suck. Glad you had slime.

The weather made this event very interesting!
2006-08-21 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Nice job on meeting your goals despite the bike problems. And it was tough conditions to have a good swim in too, so nice job there as well. As far as the run it looks like you're already pretty quick. Congrats on a great race!
2006-08-21 12:12 PM
in reply to: #517486

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Great race, your bike time was awesome, even with a stop.  Great job.
2006-08-21 1:34 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
well with the flat tire issues since you started riding the bike....you could think of it as having lots of practice before this flat!  Nice work out there, on a miserable day!
2006-08-21 2:53 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race.  Sorry about the tire issue.  At least you didn't change it.  Sorry I missed you again!  Way to go!

2006-08-22 11:48 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Nicely done, Alex!
2006-08-22 11:57 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Sounds like you fared well with all the adversity. I hope to see you again soon. Let me know if you want to join up for training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed