General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon (Relay) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon (Relay) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 28m 59s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Nothing really. I hadn't really done any sort of real workout outs since the Tri for the Cure, and hadn't been in the pool or open water since that race, so I knew up front that this wasn't going to be my best effort.
Event warmup:

Shivering in the cold?? Man I was freezing. Opted not to do a 'warmup' since I was just doing the swim leg, and getting the water didn't appeal to me right then, so we just stood around and watched all the age grouper take off in their 5 second intervals. Got in my wetsuit about 20 minutes before it was time for the relays, and felt a little warmer. I felt sorry for my hubby and daughter as they were already soaking and they still had to bike and run...at least I was supposed to be wet.
Swim
  • 13m 43s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I suck at sighting...what can I say. I felt pretty good going out...I was the second to the last one to enter the water (We were sent off in 5 second waves) so I didn't have to worry about anyone swimming over me. Breathing was good, I was in a rythym, and thinking this wasn't so bad - considering I haven't been in the water in over two weeks. Decided to lift my head and see where I was - and would you know it, I had already gone WAY off course. Redirected myself, and tried to find the best angle to the buoy, but every time I tried to do freestyle, I would pull to the right. Began to think that I would almost be faster doing breast stroke and swimming a straight line...but felt like such a weenie every time I switched to breast stroke. I don't know why....just felt like I was letting myself down. Rounded the buoys ok...caught up to the swimmer in front of me....swam till my hands touched the sand, and ran up the beach. I'm not sure how fast I actually swam the 500, but I'm estimating that my run up the beach took about a minute and half. So my swim didn't really suck as bad as I thought it did.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to swim straight??? That is sooo dang frustrating. I could probably have pretty decent swim times if I could just swim in a straight line!!! I end up swimming way more yardage than I need to.
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Found Jay in transition and passed the chip off to him. Caught my breath and got real discouraged about my swim.
Bike
  • 48m 23s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 17.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Jay had a good time on the bike course. He hadn't trained at all for this - only rode once or twice in the last couple of weeks - but was doing this race for me and my daughter. He and another lady played cat on mouce on the hills. She would pass him going up, and he would pass her going down. He was disappointed with his time...but hey...what do you expect when you don't train! I can barely go that fast when I do train - doesn't seem fair.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Pretty quick transition. Don't know how we could have been faster - The fastest relay time for this transition was 28 seconds...so we weren't too far off.
Run
  • 25m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Jessie wasn't happy with this run at all. She usually averages 7.5 min miles so this was slow for her. I think the lack of eating breakfast, or late start, and the fact that she had to waste so much energy shivering before she got a chance to run had a lot to do with it. She had a good time though, and really enjoys being out there in the triathlete environment. She's thinknig of doing a duathlon next (still won't attempt the swim)
What would you do differently?:

Wake her up earlier and force her to eat??? Nah...this was just a family thing for fun...so it is what it is. The team that beat us - beat us by 2 minutes, and we beat the number 3 team by 2 minutes...So we were solidly second. My daughter and I like to point out that the team that beat us had two men on it...so....we actually did pretty good.
Post race
Warm down:

Got our meals...sat down...shivered....shivered some more...found out we took 2nd place in the mixed relay division (there were 6 teams)...so waited around for the awards ceremony. Should have just gone home....For our prize we each got a somewhat cheap off brand swiss army knife...Hey I guess its better than nothing :-) I think I would have preferred a plaque.

Last updated: 2006-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:43 | 547 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless promotion
Course: Triangular with buoys to the right.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:46
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:23 | 14.5 miles | 17.98 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly - up and back on Quincy. They lengthened the course for safety reasons...didn't know that until after the race.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:38 | 03.11 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 5:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon (Relay)

2006-08-21 8:50 AM
in reply to: #517098

User image

Veteran
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon (Relay)
Great job!  That is so cool that you race as a family.  I think I saw you all getting your award.   
2006-08-21 6:30 PM
in reply to: #517229

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Thanks :-)  I was obviously the one with the wild hair!!  I had brought a hat to put on afterwards to try and calm it down, but my daughter begged it off of me....she is a little more vain than I am :-)
2006-08-21 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

Congratulations on the 2nd place finish!  And I think it's fanatastic that you are doing this with your daughter - in the long run that's going to mean a lot more than whatever trinkets they hand out.

2006-08-21 7:13 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Congrats on the "hardware!"  Your team had a great race!
2006-08-23 5:25 PM
in reply to: #518061

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Congrats on the 2nd place.  That's really cool that your daughter did this with you.  What a great role model you must be for her.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon (Relay) Rss Feed