General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-11-17 1:31 PM

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Just thought I would start this official thread. Who's in for IMOO 2015 and how's the training going?

2014-11-22 10:31 PM
in reply to: jeff417

User image

Veteran
South dakota
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
In! Ain't started yet
2014-12-21 8:00 PM

I'm in also! I'll be starting training officially in March! I got the Steelhead/Wisconsin package.
2015-01-19 2:56 PM
in reply to: JAStudee

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
I'm in! It'll be my first full ironman, after doing 6 HIM's over the past 4 years (3 X Racine, 2 X Kansas, 1 X Silverman). Should be a blast!
2015-01-19 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.

I'm in, will be my second Iron distance race.  Looking forward to the challenge.

2015-01-20 8:47 PM

User image

Regular
I'm not in....but plan on watching you all on the Live Feed while I have a few brews.

2015-01-23 2:50 PM

I'm in...again...sixth time...all Wisconsin.

Rode some of the loop last Saturday. Hope to ride the whole loop tomorrow.

Feel free to ask me any Wisconsin or Ironman questions...I know stuff.
2015-02-18 4:39 PM

I'm in. This will be my first IM. I'll also be doing Door County HIM.

Just working on my base fitness right now. Mostly swimming and biking on my trainer. Anyone from Chicagoland area? Any good places for long rides?
2015-02-19 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I am in .. in second month of base/build about 13-14 hrs per week. Finding out I really need to work on nutrition.
2015-02-19 3:35 PM
in reply to: pnelson

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
You are riding in January???? WOW ... that is bad and I assume WI is a bit colder than Chicago.
2015-02-19 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Question: I have only ridden the loop a couple times so don't have it memorized ... does it stay well marked throughout the year? Hopiing to do rides in April and May as well as the rest of the summer.

2015-02-19 10:29 PM

User image

I volunteered in 2014 and then waited in line to sign up.

1st full IM. Very excited.

Training is going well. Hate riding the trainer in my basement (I am in Minnesota). Been running outside all winter cause I hate the treadmill. Anxious to get back out on the roads with my bike to see how I have improved.

My training club is doing a weekend training camp in July in Madison to swim in the lake and ride the course. I guess they are expecting about 20 people. Should be a fun event in preparation for the real thing.
2015-02-23 3:37 PM

I'm in as well.

This will also be my first full Ironman. After doing full and ultra marathons for several years I decided it would be fun to get into triathlons. I did my first one (a sprint) two years ago and loved it. Last summer I did my fist half ironman (Racine) and half way through the run I made up my mind that I was going to do a full in 2015.

I've been spending the winter working on my swim endurance and bike fitness. I've never been a great swimmer (self taught and then later took lessons) but I can now swim 3000 meters fairly easily with an average time of about 1:50/100. As for cycling I've been on the trainer and taking a performance cycling class that my coach teaches. I've always enjoyed cycling and have done several century rides but taking this class has really taught me about power and how to use my gears. I've always been a strong runner so my coach isn't having me do a ton of running right now (but that will obviously change this spring). I've also been doing a lot of strength and core training.

I'm really looking forward to getting outside for some long rides and open water swimming and seeing if all the work I've put in this winter has paid off. The one thing I really need to get a handle on is my nutrition. I eat pretty healthy, I just need to work on increasing my calories on days I have long workouts.
2015-03-17 4:48 PM
in reply to: carrie639

Originally posted by carrie639

You are riding in January???? WOW ... that is bad and I assume WI is a bit colder than Chicago.

Yea, the snow wasn't good for skiing, so cycling was the next best option. I actually prefer it cold so the roads aren't sloppy and my bike gets dirty and salty. It was in the teens and twenties, so not too bad.
2015-03-17 4:57 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by carrie639

Question: I have only ridden the loop a couple times so don't have it memorized ... does it stay well marked throughout the year? Hopiing to do rides in April and May as well as the rest of the summer.

...sometimes.

There are some arrows from last year, mostly Verona to Mt Horeb (where you really don't need them). Most tri clubs put down arrows (tape is preferred over paint by locals FYI) in the summer, so you can usually find the course without much issue. If you're going to be riding before May or June, it could be harder. If you park at Fireman's Park in Verona (on course, just before the route goes under 18-151), you can find people riding from there all spring/summer.

I can occasionally be talked into guiding foreigners through the Wisconsin mountain passes, but my rates are inversely proportional to speed (the slower you ride, the most it costs...more fun than saying I bill by the hour). I only guide, no Sherpa...you'll have to carry your gear by yourself.

Edited by pnelson 2015-03-17 4:58 PM
2015-04-24 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Hey IM's!!

My sister is training for a return visit to IM MOO, and was wondering how the roads were during the week?

Wasn't sure how much people have started riding yet.

Thanks for any info you can provide...and HAPPY and SAFE Training!

2015-05-06 5:57 AM
in reply to: miami9296

New user
Not racing but..... Volunteering for the swim portion of the race in a kayak, so If you need some help I will be there with my kayak for your assistance. Super excited for the experience. Did IMOO in 2011 and IMAZ in 2013 and PR'd by 7 seconds. LOL. Also water stop on State Street. can not wait for the party,Good Luck to all racing! Enjoy the day. It is a celebration

Kurt.
2015-05-13 10:37 AM
in reply to: miami9296

Originally posted by miami9296

Hey IM's!!

My sister is training for a return visit to IM MOO, and was wondering how the roads were during the week?

Wasn't sure how much people have started riding yet.

Thanks for any info you can provide...and HAPPY and SAFE Training!

I've been riding the loop through winter since we unfortunately didn't get much snow for skiing. Roads are good during the day, not too much traffic out. You'll run into (hopefully not literally) more agricultural vehicles, but there will be less car traffic.

This past weekend was busy. Vision Quest was up this past weekend from Chicago. There were a few dozen athletes Saturday (probably because it was warm and sunny Saturday and Sunday was cool, cloudy and Mother's Day). They or another group painted florescent green arrows on the route, two before turns to show which direction to turn and one after to show you that you're going straight on the right road. ...now for my public service announcement: PLEASE DON'T PAINT THE ROADS!!! One set of arrows is okay, but we don't need every group to paint their own set of arrows in a different color (you can see arrows from past years still on the roads). Ironman and local municipalities asks that you don't use paint to inspire athletes on race day, and this extends to the rest of the year. If you want to add different markings than are currently on the roads, please use chalk or tape (and remove the tape after). Again, not a big deal to have one set (it helps people from being lost for days...which can happen...but hasn't...yet), but please, no more. So, the roads are well-marked now, but a map and/or cue sheet might also be helpful for your first time around. Also, local Sherpas/guides are available, but it can be expensive (I usually charge $100/loop with an extra $1/minute over two hours per loop...so ride faster)...kidding...mostly. If want to find people riding the loop, go to Fireman's Park in Verona (on the loop) on a Saturday morning, and you'll find plenty of individuals and some groups. Some of them might be willing to show you the route if you can find similar speeds/abilities. Fireman's Park is also less than three blocks from the Military Ridge bike trail (flat and crushed limestone), so it is a good place to add a brick run after your ride (or if you ride from downtown Madison, you can brick on the run course). Another note, please do not park in the Fireman's Park parking lot. It is for people using the park for soccer and the beach. Also, swimming outside of the ropes at Fireman's Park is not allowed when the beach is open (for liability reasons). You can (sort of) swim before or after if none of the lifeguards are around. There are shower facilities there, and I think they're $1-2, so a nice option to shower before heading home.

The loop is in pretty good shape. The usual roads (Whalen, Hwy. 78, Stagecoach) are rough, but the rest of them are good and some have been re-paved in the past few years.

The lakes have been cool, but not too cold to swim (50s I think). Lake levels are good and not many weeds.

Hope that wasn't too much information. Feel free to post if you have any more questions or PM me.

-Peter
2015-06-01 1:05 PM

User image

New user

Naperville, Illinois

I'm in!  I rode with the VQ group a few weeks ago.  Great to preview the course. I'm trying to figure out logistics for the race and where to stay - I know, EVERYONE already has their reservation, why did I wait?  I'm a newbie to this race.  

Anyway, recommendations?   - close to transition (yikes!  prices!!), close to the Alliant Energy Center (parking and shuttle to transition) or near Middleton (and drive to Alliant Energy Center to park day of the race?).  

I will be alone - no sherpa for me, so will be shlepping all my own gear back and forth.  I would actually prefer to rent a condo/townhouse for the weekend so I have a stove and a refrigerator (and can cook my own meals and  freeze my nutrition the night before).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2015-06-02 4:09 PM
in reply to: quinnpenny

I did IMOO in 2014 and was fortunate to be able to stay at my parents (west side of Madison). I was able to park downtown on city streets within four blocks of transition (unlimited time with no meter fees because it was Sunday). It was very late when I finished (visualize the "midnight hours" gallery) so I had no problems with driving out of the area - most people were long gone. If I had been an earlier finish this could have presented some problems since the downtown area gets very busy.

Therefore ... OK to stay away from downtown. And if you want to avoid the Alliant Center park-and-ride you will be able to find a parking spot downtown within comfortable walking distance of transition.

Good luck with your Ironman - one of the best things I ever did!

KEN

PS - Good idea riding the bike loop in advance -- I witnessed people experience it for first time on race day and it was really demoralizing for them (and ended their day).
2015-06-16 2:53 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
How's everyone's training going? I had a good weekend with a 12 mile run on Saturday and 70 on the bike on Sunday. I'm trying to get some really solid weeks of training in, but it never feels like enough. Less than 13 weeks to go, but who's counting?

2015-07-06 8:57 PM

User image

Heading to Madison for an Ironman camp with my training team this weekend.

Friday: 36 miles on the bike
Saturday: Partial swim course, 1 loop on bike (76 miles), 6 mile run
Sunday: Full swim course, 1 run loop

Plus coaching and seminars (and resting sore muscles) in between

Very excited.
2015-08-06 9:05 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Good luck IM Moo 2015 participants!  I hope to see you out on the course this year!

2015-08-18 3:47 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Bib numbers are up. It's getting real now.
2015-08-18 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 66093 Posts: 593

2013-11-06 7:43 AM sbsmann

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by bcagle25
Views: 101054 Posts: 1108

2012-09-19 11:52 AM Daffodil

Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by tasr
Views: 133488 Posts: 1394

2011-10-18 8:40 AM WI_tri_guy

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by pennylope
Views: 131490 Posts: 1314

2010-10-29 3:33 PM 1stTimeTri

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by dhyte
Views: 103728 Posts: 1300

2009-09-20 9:58 PM steve1128
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I'm a fairly good climber but don't want to blow up on the run. I'm 60 and have a FTP of 230 watts. Any suggestions?

date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.