General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is walking REALLY that helpful? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-08-21 1:28 PM
in reply to: #517115

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Subject: RE: Is walking REALLY that helpful?

I'll beat the dead horse.  If that bit of walking is all the movement they do, god bless them.  Walking is hard for lots of people.  I can attest to the fact that you can train in your HR zones by just walking, if you are not already fit.  The other benefits of the old couples, or any couples walking for however long, is just that, spending time with each other, just talking.  Too often we don't take the time to just talk about whatever.

Ok, i've stopped beating the horse.  Can someone get a chainsaw so we can get it out of Dean Wormers office.......

2006-08-21 1:32 PM
in reply to: #517647

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Doughboy - 2006-08-21 1:28 PM

Ok, i've stopped beating the horse.  Can someone get a chainsaw so we can get it out of Dean Wormers office.......

"fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"....yeah right!
2006-08-26 8:51 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

just thought i'd add my 2 cents worth - my mom has two new hips and can now walk the block she knows she is slow but i am so damned proud of her. six months ago she couldn't even walk down the garden because her hips wer so knackered. she wasn't even allowed to swim.

slower walks with my dad may not generate as much of a high h/r for her but they get them out the house and that's a good thing. also walks round the block stop my dad doing stupid things like trying to do kung fu for the first time aged 63 and getting a hernia

2006-08-26 8:58 PM

Elite
Thought I'd stumbled onto SlowTwitch there for a moment...
2006-08-26 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
In my book doing something beats the hell out of nothing.  Good for them, support them and be happy they are not driving to KFC for a bucket of fried shicken.  And yes I just said shicken
2006-08-27 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
when walking one burns close to the same amount of calories per mile as running, except when running you can actually get much many more miles in during one day, and hence burn more calories.
Go to mapmyrun.com , then plot out your usual running course, input your weight, age, height and time and it will calculate how many calories you burned.
example:
I used my stats, 3.1miles at 9 mile pace- took 27 minutes, burned 488calories.
Now walking it at a 15min/mile pace, 45minutes: burned 423 calories. pretty close.

I may have the time in a day to run 13 miles and burn 2000calories, but it is much less likely I will have the time to walk them.

2006-08-27 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
you also have to remember, you don't know what's going on with them. as someone pointed out in another thread about not wanting to be "that guy" on the $6k bike getting passed by everyone on their $1000 bikes - you don't know if there is injury or illness or recovery or physical problem that is causing a person to be what in your mind is not optimal.

so just like everyone said - better that they're getting out and making the blood flow. truly better than doing nothing. and those drinking the decaf latte wtih skim and 5 equals while talking on the phone...if they didn't walk and talk on the phone, that latte might be hanging around with them a little longer. everyone's got their own motivation and as long as they're out there doing something, more power to them.

2006-08-27 6:57 PM
in reply to: #517253

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

KSH - 2006-08-21 7:12 AM I know what you are talking about. It's kind of like the person at the gym, who is on the treadmill walking, at a 2.0 mph pace, and hanging on to the rails for dear life. You want to lean over and tell them that if the up that pace and let go of the rails they might get a little sweat and workout in. But for some people... THAT is a workout. Sure, slow walking may not do what running/biking/swimming can do... but those people are still moving and are going to be able to walk around the store and to/from their car in their old age. 

In 2003 I was one of those people walking 2.0 mph and hanging on for dear life. I'm sure there were people looking askance at me judging. What they didn't know is that I had just been through three major surgeries for a pancreatic tumor, had multiple complications, and was working my way back to fitness ten minutes at a time.

We don't know why people are out doing what they are doing. For some they may be just starting an exercise program. It may be a time that they spend together. It may be all they can do...you don't know if that person is infirm, arthritic, overcoming an injury, or what. That same person may be running a marathon in two years (that was me). I'm just happy for them that they are out there.

My husband bikes with me while I do my long runs and sometimes people make fun of him thinking he can't keep up. He can, he just prefers to bike. He's run a marathon, but doesn't choose to do another one. (I'll talk him into it...) He bikes long rides with me, and stands and watches over me on open water swims. The assumption might very well be that he is not a driven person. He is. He is just not driven in the same manner I am. He is in shape and enjoys exercise, but does not want to compete in endurance events.

You do what you do for your reasons. I do what I do for mine. The man in the pale blue slacks does what he does for his reasons. I think live and let live and pray that someday you'll still be out walking with the woman you love carrying a stick for balance or dogs or whatever when you are of a ripe old age.     

2006-08-27 7:01 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
I'm thinking without walking as a viable option with associated benefits ... many of us slow, fat triathletes in training might never have seen past the swim/bike/run to even get started.
2006-08-27 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
I had this problem today...it was my first Olympic, and I had to walk some of the run...I tried my hardest, and finished...and I got out there and did it...

Tonight, the sandwich shop guy asked us how I did, and as soon as I said that I walked some of the run, he acted as if I had failed...it really bummed me out, I cried the whole way home...because I HAD felt like I had done a really good job, because I had gone from couch potato to a freaking Olympic!! in two and a half months...and this guy has the nerve to say that I probably shouldn't have tried since I couldn't do it...

But, I did do it, and it took me a bit longer, but I was out there, trying...busting my butt...does walking mean that you are failing, no...it means that you might just not be as good as someone who isn't walking...

But, you are better than the 99% of people who dont even tri!!

Same for the old lady and old man...at least they are doing something...

This thread actually made me feel a bit better (I was really upset tonight)...

PS-And, I was really sick on Thursday and Friday!! BOO!!

Edited by tbctbc 2006-08-27 7:24 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is walking REALLY that helpful? Rss Feed  

of 2