United States
Hudson Valley YMCA
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-39(combined)
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

I was supposed to call Autumn a little before 7 am, before leaving home. I woke up and looked at the clock--7:02. Crap!! Rushed around getting dressed, teeth brushed etc. Ate a tbsp of peanut butter and grabbed an odwalla juice for the road. Call Autumn and am out the door by 7:12. Not too bad.

Picked up Autumn and headed to the race. We both decided to change to the 1 mile rather than the 2 mile we had planned. Autumn is still not feeling 100%, and I had to get on the road ASAP to meet my parents in northern WI.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam a few laps out and back. Watched Autumn do summersaults since I couldn't stand to look at the weeds beneath the surface. *shudder* Blech. We very briefly met birkierunner just before the whistle blew.
Swim
  • 29m 55s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

I finished about 2 minutes faster than last year, so I was glad for that. My start wasn't really very good (everyone in the race starts at once so it's very crowded), but the race went pretty well overall.

They had us swim counterclockwise this year; I'm thinking that is because sighting into the sun was such a problem last year. Luckily, it was overcast this time anyway, so sighting was much easier overall.

From the start to the first buoy was mainly jockeying for position. From the first to the second was pretty uneventful, since I seemed to be the only one swimming my particular line. That meant that I couldn't find anyone to draft off of, as much as I tried. Second to third buoy was the choppiest part of the swim. I took on water a couple times but was able to breathe left well enough to avoid inhaling too much. I apparently don't sight as well breathing to the left though, and was doing some zig-zagging.

It was a straight shot from the third to fourth buoy (end of race), so I concentrated on swimming the straightest line I could and trying to keep my energy up. I was swimming right with this guy as we rounded the third buoy so I made it a goal to drop him. Shortly after the the buoy though, we entered Water Weedville, and I was having a terrible time getting into a good rhythm because I just hate weeds so much. So I gave myself the "Kelly, get a grip! They are only weeds!" talk and managed to finally find a decent rhythm and drop the guy.

Unfortunatly at the end, my goggles really started to leak and as I approached shore, my entire left goggle was full of water. I closed that eye and sighted with just my right eye, which was pretty hard. I ended up standing and running a lot sooner than I normally would have since I just wanted to get those goggles off. That probably slowed me down some since I don't run in water very well.
What would you do differently?:

Eat a better breakfast. Get a better position at the start.

As an aside I think there needs to be more than 4 buoys on the course. When I rounded one, I couldn't even see the next one for a while, so I was just kind of following the pack at times. When I was off on my own a bit, I wandered a bit of course a couple times since I couldn't really see the buoys. Oh well.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water and a banana, hung out on the beach watching for Autumn. We stayed a little while hoping to see birkierunner come out of the water, but unfortunately I had to get on the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inadequate breakfast, leaky goggles, irrational and ridiculous fear of weeds

Event comments:

I really like this race--very low key, everyone is friendly, and it's nice to throw in some racing variety sometimes. Autumn and I are *definitely* doing the 2-mile next year (for real this time!).

Edited to add: Apparently I got 3rd in the 30-39 age group (combined men and women). Cool. The Y called and said I have to go and pick up my medal. :)

Last updated: 2006-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:55 | 1760 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Nike one piece swim suit
Course: A big one mile loop around the perimeter of Perch Lake. Very weedy in some parts. Gross.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Perch Lake Swim

2006-08-21 8:15 AM
in reply to: #517184

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: Perch Lake Swim
Damn;
Wish I could swim that fast... Weeds or not. Thats a mighty nice swim
Well done

Ian

Edited by lincsguyus 2006-08-21 8:16 AM
2006-08-21 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Nice job Kelly! You are my swimming hero. Now we just need to work on those weeds
2006-08-21 9:17 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
it wasn't THAT weedy! hee hee.

fantastic job, as usual. 2 miler for sure next year. and cafe latte. remember - next year we'll be slower because our bf % will be so low...and we'll have to drown our skinny sorrows in chocolate torte
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Perch Lake Swim Rss Feed