General Discussion Race Reports! » Living History Farms Off Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Living History Farms Off Road Race - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Urbandale, Iowa
United States
Living History Farms Cross Country Race
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night in the hotel with my family. Was actually able to get to sleep at a decent time which surprised me. In the morning I did my usual routine. Showered, got dressed in my race gear, and got my hair put up. Got the rest of the family up out the door without a problem.
Event warmup:

We walked around after packet pickup and enjoyed laughing at the array or customs and get ups that people wore. As usual the giant Wheetes Box was there as well as a few other regulars. Got in the start area 15 min to the start and stretched a bit while we waited.
Run
  • 1h 35m 40s
  • 7 miles
  • 13m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual this is one of my fun runs that I really don't care to much about my time and I really don't push for speed. We started out as a we always do in a tight pack spending more time either walking or stopping. Waiting for us to clear the first of many bottle necks always seemed to take forever.

The first plunge into the cold water chilled my feet to the bone, was very thankful that the water was only from a small ditch and was just up to my ankles. Soon I was off and running again, wet squashy feet all the way.

Up through the first set of corn fields and my feet where finally warmed and I had kept up a fairly steady pace. Had to slow down a few times as people started to slow down too.

The first creek was a hard one. Two guys where at the bottom standing on the ice a little before the actually crossings. As he tried to get over a log the entire ice broke apart sending him crashing into waist deep ice cold water. A collective groan could be heard coming from the witness of this even.

Got down to the crossings and was not looking forward to the coldness I knew was coming. A lady on my right had the same look. We took hands and jumped in full force on the count of three. Suddenly we where in a mass of humanity all tried to get up the three ropes to the top. I grabbed the nearest rope, took the lady's shoulder and pushed up in front of me telling her to climb out first.

The next mile or so was all starts and stops as we wove our way up and out of the wooded ravine and back down into another one. The next two crossings were just a cold and bone chilling as the first two. By this time I had given up all hope for having warm feet for the race.

At mile 4.5 the trail split. harder trails to the left and easier trails to the right. Without a second thought or glance I set my pace to the left and was met with a near vertical wall of cold mud for me to attempt to slid down right into another cold creek. The climb up from that one was also vertical and the use of ropes was only slightly helpful. By this time the ropes where covered in mud and almost impossible to grip.

Made it to the top only to go not even a quarter of a mile to the next crossings. This one too was a vertical drop of about six feet into the cold water and another low climb up the other side. Was so happy to get to the top of that one, only one more crossing to go then all corn fields.

The last crossings I just jumped in. My feet and legs up to my knees where wet, cold, and covered in mud. This climb had no ropes but plenty of tree roots to grasp to pull myself up and out.

Cleared the last of the woods to start my last mile of corn fields. Of course we had to go up a steep hill. And after miles of up and down ravines, creeks, rope climbs, and cold feet must of us simply walked up the hill.

Ran down the hill, around a few corners and headed to the finish line. Crossed the mats hearing the reassuring beeps of my time being recorded. And in a cruel twist of fate we had to walk up yet another hill to get to the wonderful warm stew and hot apple cider. Go figure!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! Yeah I got wet, cold, destroyed my shoes, got bruised up, and was generally miserable for most of the race. But this is one of my favorite because everyone is embracing the course and just having fun and not caring about much else.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my wonderful beef stew, bread, and hot apple cider which warmed me up nicely. Met up with my family in time to get my son set up for the kid races, which he totally nailed without much effort!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, Its always a big race with lots of waiting for the first mile or so.

Event comments:

This race while done off road makes me appreciate the blacktop and gravel that I train on.

Last updated: 2014-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:40 | 07 miles | 13m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Loop course
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-11-23 11:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Living History Farms Off Road Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Living History Farms Off Road Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Living History Farms Off Road Race

Started by ersnyder3654
Views: 1211 Posts: 1

2013-12-19 3:58 PM ersnyder3654

Living History Farms Off Road Race

Started by Hubbie
Views: 822 Posts: 1

2011-11-20 10:49 PM Hubbie

Living History Farms XC Race

Started by Noz
Views: 1627 Posts: 2

2008-11-30 10:22 AM lastcall2003

Living History Farms Cross Country Race

Started by mooremt
Views: 1044 Posts: 1

2008-11-27 3:00 PM mooremt

Living History Farms XC Race

Started by Noz
Views: 1773 Posts: 7

2007-11-19 1:47 PM JohnnyKay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.