General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedarville, New Jersey
United States
Piranha Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 15s
Overall Rank = 71/315
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

Raced the NJD today. Woke up early (5:15am) to get ready. Breakfast at 5:30: two strawberry Pop Tarts, 1 apple, 1 banana, some trail mix. Keeping track of nutrition will be important, especially for IM Wisconsin.
Event warmup:

Drove to race site w/ Tom Petersen and Lisa (fiance). Setting up the transition area and doing all the pre-race stuff takes up a lot of time and leaves very minimal time to warm up properly. Overall, I was pretty efficient and I was prepared for the swim start.
Swim
  • 19m 59s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim (0.6mi): This sucked a lot. The start happened so fast. I didn't realize that I was supposed to go to the front of the pack of swimmers since I was in the first wave. The gun went off and I stuck my face in the water and saw darkness. The muck--probably sewage sludge--was so thick that it looked like I was in a darkroom. Luckily, I didn't really panic, but I was caught a little off-guard. I started swimming with my head down and, when I stuck my head out to check my line, I realized I had turned 100 degrees to the right--I was going backwards. It's pretty important to swim a straight course! Anyways, after a long struggle through sludge and shallow weed-slime, I finally made it around some buoys. The last buoy threw me off because I had to swim around the left side of it. This teaches me that I really need to look at the course map before ever starting a tri. I got out of the water, feeling relatively comfortable but a little winded from the experience. I think I was out in around 19 minutes. Not bad for my first open water swim in blackness over a course that probably ended up being 1100 meters or so. Wetsuits really do help.
What would you do differently?:

I would make sure to know what the course looks like before swimming in it. I would make sure to put defogger on the goggles so I can find the next buoy. I would slow down, take some deep breaths, relax--anything to prevent me from tensing up and wasting energy.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

T1: I stumbled into T1 with my wetsuit ready to be stripped off. I think I ran a little bit too fast out of the water to the transition area because my HR was above 180 at this point. I need to take it easy. The biggest problem I had in T1 was that i had set all of my stuff up on a towel that I needed to use to dry my feet. Good thinking Wookie. I had to act like a magician and pull the towel out from underneath my other gear (it didn't work), and dry my feet after using a water bottle to rinse them off. Socks were a pain to get on. Shoes were easy. Helmet and glasses and I was off. Running to the mount area was annoying in my Look Keo cleats. Should I have kept the cleat covers on? After mounting, I was ready to rip up the bike course.

I would set up the transition area a little better, especially with the towel. I would make sure to have an effective way to clean my foot from grime and dry it quickly. I would generally speed up the transition a little bit more.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 20s
  • 22 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike: (22mi--is it 23mi?): This was the sweetest segment of the race. I took it out at a relatively easy pace, just so I could get comfortable. Pretty soon, I was going pretty hard. Riding my bike was perhaps the best part of the tri--minus the winds. I know that I am a lightweight rider so I need to be as aero as I can so that the wind does not hold me back or toss me around. Once I get my Carbon Strykes this week, I need to test them out a lot. At one point during the leg, I found that I was cruising at a steady 25mph. I met this one woman (#223) who I rode and chatted with for a bit. She was really nice--and really fast. I ended up cruising past her though. In the end, I made it back to Cedarville in about 1:06 at a very very fast 20.4mph pace. This was 2 mph faster than I had hoped or expected for. I was not looking forward to the run at this point.

I would be a little bit more aero. I would make sure to keep my head up so I can spot road debris. I would work a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

T2: the bike dismount was fine and I ran into the transition area with ease. Switching into running shoes was not a problem. I exited the other side after taking a quick swing of some water and dousing my head a little bit too.

Not much. I had a good transition. Maybe I would try to do a faster dismount. I don't think it's that important though.
Run
  • 27m 4s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Run (4mi): I was anticipating brick-like legs but I realized that maybe I wasn't that fatigued. Perhaps I had gone too conservatively on the bike (HR averaged around 160). My legs felt heavy for the first 800 meters but after that I was on a roll. I made it to the 2mi turnaround on the flat course in 12:34. That's decently fast. At this point, I realized that I could make it back to the finish in under 2 hours if I could push the last 2 miles. Considering that I run the first half of road races conservatively, pick up the pace in the second half, and really start to pick it up in the last 1/4, I knew I could easily reach 1:59:59. So that was my goal--until I messed up really bad. Instead of taking the turn to the finish, I took a right one street early and ended up back at the bike dismount area. What an idiot I am. I had to backtrack out to the main road and out around the school to the finish line. I lost a good 2 minutes of real time, plus a good minute of "motivation" time; at this point, there was no reason for me to kill myself by sprinting. Nonetheless, as soon as I saw the finish chute, I really started to turn my legs over faster (I regret this now, because my shins are pretty sore; the sprint probably wasn't worth it and only shaved off 15-30 seconds or so). I made it across the finish line and released a big shout of relief. I was done! My first triathlon completed in approximately 2 hours and 3 minutes.

I would familiarize myself with the course a lot more! I missed getting sub-2 hours because I made a turn prematurely and went to the bike dismount area instead of the finish line!
Post race
Warm down:

Post: I met up with Austin Whitman and Victoria Arrigoni (both SOM students) and we talked about tris and stuff in general. At this point, my shins were killing me. Perhaps it was a bad idea to race in running flats, especially after a long bike segment. Anyways, Austin offered a ride so I grabbed my gear from the Markesich's van and we took off. No stretching was involved--I was just too tired.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of planning and mental preparation messed me up. I really really should have looked at the course map and visualized each and every step of the race.

Event comments:

he day was truly an awesome day. I had an awesome race and an awesome time. THe whole atmosphere of the triathlon was stunning. Everyone is so friendly and it is so easy to relate to any stranger that one talks to. I received so much help this weekend in terms of logistics and moral support. The Yale Triathlon Team is truly awesome.

Dinner on Saturday night was at Lucia's with Josh Hunsberger, Jeff (Shoreline Sharks buddy), Tom Petersen, Lisa, Roland (Shoreline Sharks), Sherry, and the Markesichs.

Last updated: 2006-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:59 | 1000 meters | 01m / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 129/315
Performance: Below average
Heart rate was higher than expected averaging at 166 with a high of 175 at the end.
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro 2
Course: Sludge-slime pond. 4 or 5 buoys in a counter-clockwise direction.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:20 | 22 miles | 18.77 mile/hr
Overall: 93/315
Performance:
Average 162, high of 177 (out of T1). Was I going too easy?
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Relatively flat and smooth with a few bumpy sections. Too much wind for comfort.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:04 | 04 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 21/315
Performance: Average
Average 167, max 176. Could this be higher?
Course: Flat and smooth. Pretty hot sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 9:13 AM

Washington, DC
Subject: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed