United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 10s
Overall Rank = 55/146
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke up. Had some Chocolate Milk and some of a Clif Bar. Sipped on some HEED prior to the race. Unfortunately I sipped too much and had to hit the john a bunch of times before it actually began. It was not just a nervous bladder either. I wandered around waiting for the start.
Event warmup:

Swam a bit in the water before the start.
Swim
  • 26m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was OK on the swim. Just a bit behind the pace I swam in the springs a couple of weeks ago. With the time trial start it was fairly busy out on course. Plenty of people to swim around and bump into.
What would you do differently?:

I did not push hard enough. I think that since this way my first OLY distance, I was holding back a bit due to the length. In the future I will increase my stroke rate and effort to push harder and swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Good transition. Did everything standing which really sped things up. Since this was my second TRI I had some knowledge of what to do and it worked better. There was also more room at this event given all of the bike stalls were not full. Socks on and shoes on went really well. I also remembered to put on my glasses before my helmet this time.

Nothing really. I felt it went about as good as I could. Perhaps roll up the socks so they can unroll on my feet.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed harder this race given my poor pace at the last TRI. Passed a few people and generally did well in my opinion. I did experience some cramping in my ABS on the right side relatively low. I may need more fluids and thats why I commented on not enough drinking. I also felt some discomfort in the upper hamstring area. I feel that this may be from too high a seat but I did not want to change anything before the race and ran with it where it has been.

Perhaps drink more. And also look into adjusting the seat.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

This transition also went well for me. Put on belt, swapped shoes and dropped the helmet. I also took a pre-mixed flask of gel and water.

Took a few extra seconds tying my shoes. Eventually I should get some of those pimpy speed lace things.
Run
  • 53m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I had some cramping in my lower right abs on the run as well. It was likely related to what I felt on the bike. Overall my pace was too slow and I should have pushed harder. With the time-trial start and being mixed in the AG crowd (ran as a Clyde) I did not have anyone to race against so I did not push as hard. I should have pulled at least half a minute off my pace if not more.

Run like the devil is on my tail. Hydrate a bit more on the bike. I need to spend a lot more time running next season to speed my run up as it is a major limiter for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around and drank some water. Had lunch and drank a beer. Took a while to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental pacing. I did not push as hard in the swim and run as I should have. Also, I feel I may be limited in my ability to go faster due to my limited training time. I really need to spend more time running and put in more miles. I will have to carefully balance that next season to keep from getting injured.

Event comments:

Overall the race was good. As it is my second race I dont have much to base my opinion on. Overall I came in second in the Clydesdale class which is still good for me. Lots of room exists for me to improve next year.

Last updated: 2006-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:20 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/27
Overall: 0/146
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion Sleeveless
Course: Sort of an interesting course. It was an out and back for the first loop and then on the second loop it was a dogleg to the finish. This Tri had a time trial type start where everyone went one at a time at a roughly 5 second interval.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:27 | 24.85 miles | 19.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/27
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Mostly out and back on some rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:01 | 06.21 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/27
Performance: Below average
Course: small rolling hills in an out and back configuration on concrete and asphalt trials.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 9:34 AM

User image

Regular
Lakewood CO
Subject: Rattlesnake Olympic Distance TRI

2006-08-21 10:33 AM
in reply to: #517301

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Olympic Distance TRI

Nice job out there!!!  Sounds like you are getting your pacing down.  Better to wish you had pushed just a tad harder than to have blown up (speaking from experience here!!!)  Nice RACE! CONGRATS

2006-08-21 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, Colorado
Nice job!  but you missed all the fun of the rain on Sat.  Hey did they have the damn flamingos at your race like they said they would have? 
2006-08-21 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Your swim was AWESOME! Great race.
2006-08-21 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Thats a great time and result for only your second tri! Now that you have some experience with pacing you can go even faster next time.
2006-08-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: #517478

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Great race, you missed all the fun rain on Saturday though, you lucky dog.

2006-08-21 2:53 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Hey nice race!  That is an awesome time you put up!  Nice job!
2006-08-21 2:57 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Racing teaches valuable lessons.  Sounds like you handled everything pretty well!  Congrats on the race!  That was a tough course.
2006-08-21 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
I think if you felt your bike, and race for that matter, went will (in your opinion), then it was a success. Nice job out there!
2006-08-21 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

You are going to have to change your screen name....there aint nothing slow about those time....I only wish I could be as 'slow' as you.  Nice job out there.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Olympic Distance TRI Rss Feed