Leaping Dog Racing
23F / -5C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 45s
Overall Rank = 134/190
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 30/39
Pre-race routine:

I had to get up super early as Strathmore is about an hour away. I planned to meet Heather in the east side... but she was running late, so I stopped at Tim's for a coffee. Otherwise, just had a bowl of Shredded Wheat and some water. The usual. The car was already packed, all I had to do was get the bike on the rack, and grab my water bottles out of the freezer. I had a nice, quick getaway.
Event warmup:

The race meeting was at 8:15... it started late... I was was in Heat 7 of 10 heats... I did not even get in the water until 10:45!! It felt like a really late start. My warm up consisted of sitting around outside and doing a small amount of stretching with Heather... followed by standing on the pooldeck waiting to get in the water.
Swim
  • 16m 27s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was interesting to swim in the pool. It was disappointing to have to wait so long before getting started, but I think the directors did a good job keeping things flowing.
What would you do differently?:

I would have let that lady pass me and draft off her for a while.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My helmet and sunglasses were knocked off my bike by someone going through the transition before me. I had to run around the rack to get back to my helmet... and I actually couldn't find my sunglasses in my efforts to get going. I probably used some inappropriate language as I was running to the mount line about my missing shades... it was VERY sunny out!

I tried putting my helmet on the seat of my bike to cue myself where my bike was... usually I keep it on my handle bars. Maybe I should have stuck with the handlebar route. I thought I had the helmet secured... but apparently not.
Bike
  • 51m 37s
  • 20 kms
  • 23.25 km/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed the bike portion. I was passed by the same woman who drafted me on the swim. She said hi and have a good ride... she was riding a nice road bike while I hammered away on the old Mountain Bike. Lots of people did have mountain bike though. I passed someone at the very end of the ride going into the transition. Otherwise, I only saw people coming towards me after the turnaround. I cheered everyone on.

My seat kept sliding down. By the end of the ride, I was almost on my cross bar. I should have gotten off and fixed it, but I did not want to waste time. I probably just wasted a lot of energy with my seat so low. I could not get a full leg extension. I also almost swallowed a May fly. As soon as it hit the back of my throat, I spontaneously spat... needless to say, my spitting skills need work. The bug/lougie came out of my mouth and splattered on my shoulder. Classy. Must improve my farmer's Hork.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

For some reason there was NO room on the rack when I got back. The person next to me... probably the same person who sent my helmet flying put her bike in the middle of my spot. I just jammed my bike on top of hers. But then I had to run around to the other side and get my shoes. I also spotted my sunglasses, so I ran around again to grab them. This was a terrible transition.

Try to rack next to someone I know, or next to someone who looks like they know what they are doing. I was a little choked about the whole transition area. But it was partly my fault for not securing my own stuff better.
Run
  • 35m 42s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 08s  min/km
Comments:

It was crazy slow. I really started feeling bummed about my run. I have a mental block about speeding up. I was also passed a million times by... everyone behind me. This awesome lady came up behnd me... she must have been a pro... told me to stay focussed and just give her. She was great. I really wanted my run to be under 30 minutes. I just couldn't do it. I try not to live with regrets... but I really should have just tried harder and run faster. I just get into my comfort zone and run. (I did speed up briefly when a wasp was chasing me, I HATE WASPS). Hmmm. Maybe that should be my new training method.

I don't know what to do about speeding up my run. It is such a struggle for me to speed up with running. While I feel like I could run forever, I can't speed up. I really need to start speed training. Or even start learning to run again. I don't know.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line and wandered around looking for Mike... couldn't find him... wandered some more. Ate a banana, banana, cookie. I was tired. After a race, I can't make a decision to save my life. Oreo or choco chip, oreo or choco chip... Hmmmmm... can't decide... ohhh look a dog... hmm, I wonder where Mike is... maybe I should move my bike... oh wait... oreo or choco chip. Post Race Stupids I guess.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental Blocks. My love of racing in my comfort zone.

Event comments:

The venue was great and I really appreciated racing with all women. I would also say that over half the field wer first timers. I thought that was great. I was irritated about the long wait for the start, but I was happy once we got started. It was just too bad that people were finishing before I ever got in the pool. There were some GREAT door prizes. I got a VO2/LT testing session with a sports lab. They also had an inspirational story competition and they selected me as the winner. I don't think I am all that inspirational, but hey, they picked me. Check out the site if you want... http://www.leapingdogracing.com/tri_heroines.html

I would definitely do this race again!

Last updated: 2006-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:27 | 750 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/39
Overall: 52/190
Performance: Good
I was in a great lane, we all swam out the exact same speed. There was one lady who asked to pass me in the first 50m... I let her pass... and I drafted perfectly off her... her pace was great... then she told me to pass her after 100m... she proceeded to draft off me for the rest of the race. I should have asked her to pass me again and we could share the drafting. HR Av was 165 max 179.
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: It was a pool swim. 4 people per lane. Not too bad considering I was well matched with other people.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:37 | 20 kms | 23.25 km/hr
Age Group: 27/39
Overall: 122/190
Performance: Average
150 Avereage/171 Max.
Wind:
Course: This was a really nice ride. Nice straght country road. It was an out and back. I thought my out was exceptionally fast... turns out it was a perfect down grade... the way bak seemed slower since it was all up hill. I probably could have pushed harder on the bike. My HR was pretty mediocre.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:42 | 05 kms | 07m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 34/39
Overall: 162/190
Performance: Bad
Tried to keep my HR around 170 or more.
Course: This was a nice running route... but the first kilometer felt like murder. Not hilly or anything... I just remember thinking when I saw the 1km marker that I had been running for 11 minutes. Nice route though. And I liked that I could see the finish line coming a few blocks away, it made me pick up my pace.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes