McHenry, Illinois
United States
21F / -6C
Total Time = 18m 57s
Overall Rank = 13/686
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Up early. Like to get there ahead of the crowds, also to take my time for a good warm-up. Brought a few layers of things as I wasn't quite sure how much I wanted to wear for the race.
Event warmup:

Ran most of the course. Made sure to put in a short tempo interval later on. Also went back out to put in a few accelerator strides at faster than race pace.
Run
  • 18m 57s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 47s  min/km
Comments:

Started just back from the front when lining up. Figured I might get close to 10th based on past results, but also know that people tend to start a bit fast. Also, the little prize money tends to draw a handful of rather fast runners, capable of near or breaking 15 minutes. Well faster than where I'm at.

Opened fairly quick with the slight uphill across the parking lot. A few people didn't seed well and were nearly run over, but most were fine. Garmin pacing was jumping at the start and settled into high 5's once on the roads. Seemed ok to give it a shot here. Had to keep my focus on form and effort, making sure to lean in and push through as I've been learning to do with the faster paced work. Have a tendency to reach forward a bit which can cause some heavier (and less efficient) stomping.

Turned into the housing section and up the hill. Held pace with people here. Saw HR still climbing up like it should, high but not really high yet. Pace certainly slowed down into he 6's here. Cleared the top and still felt ok, able to get back up to speed right as the road began to flatten. Also able to pick up more speed going down the mild decline on the other side, down to around 5:30 for some parts here. and well in control even with the effort high.

Saw the first two women making the turn onto the flat river road section just ahead. I had recognized the one and from past times she's a bit faster than I've shown before, so good to see she was in sight, I had done ok with the uphill pacing. I was more sure she knew what she's doing compared to completely unknowns right around me.

On the flat sections here, felt myself slipping in and out of form at times, watching too much on just trying to push hard, but really need both to go fast. I could see the difference in speed and felt it in the pounding with the slimmer race shoes. Race leaders were coming back from the turn-around now, and I still had near a full minute to go before reaching it. They're just hauling. Something to watch the faster guys go as they are so smooth, body language doesn't show how hard they're actually working.

Made the turn-around and had a few guys just in front. Really wanting to take a short break along the way back on the river rd, like in an interval set, so having the other guys there to chase helped out. Burning was getting really uncomfortable. Made the pass on all of them on the flats which felt nice, but quickly realized that the next guy was well up the road and I would now have to hold them off the remaining mile or so back to the finish. Something I really hate doing.

Turned into the hill and worked on keeping the effort up. Hated seeing the pace drop up well up into the sixes here, but HR says I kept it up ok. Effort is supposed to feel the same, but it always burns so much more. Able to resist the temptation to drop off a little and let one pass back.

Clearing the top, then knew I'd see how well some of the faster pacing would pay off with the quicker descents on this side. Used a little caution as I wasn't sure how fast I could drop pace down too and the slight potential of black ice, but still able to break 5:30 here without trouble. In previous races I've had trouble going hardly any faster than average pace at this point of a race. Also saw I had put a little ground into the guy in front plus the crew behind. Very slowly, but steadily pulled in close to the front guy over the last straight. He picked it up some when we turned into the parking lot towards the finish line. I just held on to finish right behind him.

Saw the clock in the clock in the high 18's. More than I wanted, but still would be a good result. Pushed enough for a gun time at 18:59.
Post race
Event comments:

Fun event and very convenient for a lot of things. Close to me & parents. Decent parking in the same lot we run out of. Hallways & gym are open for people so no one has to stay out in the cold if they don't want.

Also fun to see the handful of fast guys the smaller prize money draws out. 1st & 2nd went around 14:50. All those guys up ahead are so smooth.

Last updated: 2014-11-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:57 | 05 kms | 03m 47s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/686
Performance:
Course: Simple out and back on a few roads out of the high school. Had a small hill in the middle.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-11-30 7:09 PM

Master
Northern IL
Subject: McHenry Turkey Trot For Hospice

2014-12-01 10:19 AM
in reply to: #5070902

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: McHenry Turkey Trot For Hospice

Awesome job! Congrats on a well run race.

2014-12-01 10:46 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Super job, Ben!!  I love reading how you're putting to use all the technique training you've been doing.  Looks like it's really paying off.  Keep up the good work!!

2014-12-01 1:01 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

14:50 is sccchmokin' That's about where our fast guys sit and it's amazing to watch the speed and grace. Glad you had something fast to chase!

Great to see you thinking about form. It's funny how it slips when you you need it most. 

Keep on keepin' on!

2014-12-01 3:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Great race, Ben!  I love reading all race reports, but ones of the speedsters' POV is always extra interesting.  You train hard and it shows in your results, nice work!

Edited by melbo55 2014-12-01 3:43 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » McHenry Turkey Trot For Hospice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

McHenry Shamrock Shuffle

Started by jcwise
Views: 689 Posts: 1

2013-03-16 3:17 PM jcwise

Ann Arbor Turkey Trot

Started by fromer
Views: 1335 Posts: 8

2004-11-21 5:17 PM fromer

UTPB 5k Turkey Trot

Started by zia_cyclist
Views: 935 Posts: 4

2004-11-15 6:45 PM zia_cyclist

Triangle Turkey Trot

Started by lnm6
Views: 864 Posts: 3

2004-10-31 8:31 PM snikpos

Turkey Trot

Started by Tri40
Views: 1501 Posts: 1

2003-12-16 12:00 AM Tri40
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m

date : September 10, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
An estimated 30 to 50% of distance runners experience exercise-related intestinal problems, with women experiencing more problems than do men. Learn how to minimize them in this article.