DLT Event Management Inc
99F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 47m 53s
Overall Rank = 77/257
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/23
Pre-race routine:

This was my first time to try a low glycemic breakfast instead of my usual bagel with PB and honey. I had 2 cans of Ensure (250 cals each), 1 Yogurt (100 cal), and half of a PB and honey sandwich (200 cals) for a total of 800 calories. I also nursed a 24 oz Gatorade Endurance bottle. This low GI meal didn't leave me feeling a little hungry right before race start like my normal bagel does, so I'll probably continue to use this.
Event warmup:

I very short jog, and some light stretching. I probably should stretch more though.
Swim
  • 40m 2s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt pretty good the whole swim. I knew that I was working a little harder than I normally do in the swim, but I had no idea my HR was 168! I really like the super clear water, though. For the first time ever, I tried to drafting a little bit, but I didn't really like swimming in the bubbles and I didn't really feel that much different. I need more practice at this.

I took FOUR MINUTES off my swim split from my half last year, so I'm really happy with that!
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Pretty slow T1. I had a little difficulty putting on my Gutter head band as it tends to get twisted. T1 is typically slow for me and until I start prioritizing and practicing it will probably continue to be.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

My HRM was not picking up my HR for the first 10 minutes or so and I kept stopping and restarting it. It finally started working, but I think my spoke magnet got twisted b/c my speed stopped. But I'd rather know my HR than my speed. For the first 20 miles or so, my HR was really high (~170) I didn't feel like I was working that hard, but it wouldn't come down much. Finally, it came down to the low 160s and then on the way back I slowed quite a bit, and it dropped to the 150s.

For these longer races, I really need to keep my HR lower on the bike b/c I was not able to absorb the liquids I was drinking. I could just feel them sitting in my stomach which didn't bother me too-too much on the bike, but the run is a whole 'nother ball-game.

I didn't use a CamelBak and the bottle hand-ups worked pretty good, but I need to do a better job of preparing for them before-hand I should I have drank before I got to them. I also need to try installing my aero-bottle and using that if I'm not going to use my CB.

Overall, I was happy with averaging over 20 mph, but I think I could have a lower overall time if I did a better job of pacing on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Slow down a little to keep my HR in the 140s or 150s so I can absorb the liquids I so desperately need .
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Nothing too eventful, just a normal T2 for me.
Run
  • 2h 16m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

As I mentioned, I came off the bike feeling quite bloated with a full stomach. This really forced me to run/walk slower than I would've liked. I did much more walking than I'm used to, and I realize I should definitely practice this for my IM. I was definitely hot, but I did a pretty good job of keeping cool by pouring water over my head at each water station. Plus I think I'm acclimatized to it pretty good. You still have to slow down in that kind of heat/humidity though.

My stomach started to settle around mile 10, and I was able to pick up the pace a bit and that felt good!
Post race
Warm down:

First time ever to get a post race massage and it felt so good and will really help with my recover I think. I was really hot out and after the massage I could still not stop sweating! I was sure to drink a lot though.

Event comments:

Great race. Well organized. Plenty of aid on both the bike and run. They admitted the run course was 12.75 instead of 13.1 which is kind of good and bad. Bad that it artificially inflates your average pace and makes cross race comparisions difficult, but good when you're out there b/c I certainly didn't feel like running another 0.4 miles!

Very pretty bike course when you're on top of the mountain, but of course I didn't get to enjoy it that much b/c I was working too hard!

Last updated: 2006-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:02 | 2112 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 101/257
Performance: Good
168 Avg HR - Wow! My perceived exertion didn't feel this high. I might start wearing my HR monitor in the water more often to see if this value is normal!
Suit: No
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:47:05 | 56 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/23
Overall: 86/257
Performance: Good
161 Avg HR! TOO HIGH!!!
Wind: None
Course: Some of the steepest hills I've ridden on in my 2 year career! The one at about mile 45 was KILLER. I was in my lowest gear, standing, pedaling as hard as I possible could. My HR was close to 190 and felt like it was going to pound out of my chest! The whole course was shielded from any wind by the tall trees on the side though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:16:19 | 13.1 miles | 10m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/23
Overall: 91/257
Performance: Below average
166 Avg HR - AGAIN TOO HIGH.
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: CATS - Half Iron (Iron Mt. Man)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CATS - Half Iron (Iron Mt. Man) Rss Feed