United States
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 22m 55s
Overall Rank = 65/414
Age Group = m30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/40
Pre-race routine:

The usual. Yoghurt, oatmeal & oj then pack up and head to Aurora. Grabbed a TZ spot near the bike exit (no assigned rows) and went & sat in my car just as a downpour started.
Event warmup:

Short 5 minute run w/ stretching, then a short bike. Transition closed around 7:30 I think and due to the time trial type start I didn't actually get going until much later so this warmup probably didn't do much to warm me up. It was freezing, raining and windy waiting for the start so I huddled in the heated bathroom with everyone for a while. Finally went and stood around in the water (which was warmer than the air) with just a quick swim before the start.
Swim
  • 11m 19s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

Happy to get going after standing around freezing for a while. Swim was a bit choppy but not as bad as earlier in the day. Started out nicely & felt strong for about the first 200m. Had to pop up a couple of time to avoid running into people and navigate around them. Flailed a little rounding the buoy and by the last 200m my stroke was pretty ragged and I was gasping for air. Saw Julia who was stripping wetsuits but I passed on this and went staright to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Dish out my effort a little more evenly. Didn't have much by the end. But I was out of the water under 10 minutes - 9:51 - (my best 100m in the pool is only about 2 minutes) which gave me a boost when I saw that. My breathing was so hard I couldn't do more than an easy jog up to transition though.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

First time I used the shoes-on-the-pedals technique. Wobbled a bit right in front of another guy but overall it worked well. Fastest t1 in my age group so very happy with that.

My helmet fell to the ground when I grabbed my sunglasses. Lost all of 5 seconds there. Would this loss of 5 seconds keep me off the podium? More on this later.
Bike
  • 43m 44s
  • 14.4 miles
  • 19.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed a good pace out of the rez and passed a number of people who just seemed out for a sunday ride. Passed a number of people who were wandering around the traffic lane and not staying left, blocking, etc. Tried to push a big gear up the hills but about the second one my legs decided they didn't like this idea. I started to get a pretty good side stitch so I decided to ease off and spin up the hills and give away a little time so that I wouldn't get a sidestitch on the run. At the 5430 Sprint I pushed hard the whole time and had a bad run due to cramping so it would seem I'm learning a lesson or two out there. Started raining on the way back in.

Not much. My legs just didn't have it in them to push hard up the hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Got out of my shoes a little too early. There was no mount dismount line so the guy in front of me rode his bike practically across the timing mat. Got to my spot and the woman next to me had left her bike at a 45* angle across my spot and onto my towel. Thought about just throwing it over but she was nice to me beforehand. Struggled a little to get my socks on over wet feet but not much you can do about that.

Rack next to someone who knows what they're doing.
Run
  • 25m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt good. Settled into a good pace and just tried to maintain it. Ryan went by me just before the turnaround & was quickly out of sight. Legs started getting tired towards the end and I started getting a couple of hot spots due to the wet feet but I pushed a harder pace for the last 1/4 - 1/2 mile and took about 2 minutes off my previous best 5k time so I was very happy.

Nothing, happy with my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Changed into some dry clothes and hung around with the BT group who all did awesome.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Doing a HIM 5 days before.

Event comments:

Race seemed a bit disorganized. There was no pre-race meeting so people were everwhere on the bike course, no mount-dismount line so people were on/off their bike at the mats and they lengthened the bike course by 2 miles without even telling us. Quite a difference from the in organization and competitiveness of the field from the 5430 series. Still I had a good race & had fun so I was happy at the end. Turns out I missed the podium by just 13 minutes, so dropping my helmet didn't matter one bit.

Last updated: 2006-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:19 | 500 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/40
Overall: 94/414
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra full
Course: Triangle- turn around at the point. Time includes about 1 minute run to transition. Time trial start so there were people starting about every 5 seconds.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:44 | 14.4 miles | 19.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/40
Overall: 47/414
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Leave the rez & make a right on Quincy. Then 3 three rolling hills. The turn-around was at the top of the last, biggest one, about 1 mile past where I was expecting it.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:47 | 03.11 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/40
Overall: 126/414
mile 1: 8:37 mile 2: 8:24 mile 3.1: 8:47
Course: out and back along a paved bike path. Some small rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon

2006-08-21 11:09 AM
in reply to: #517426

User image

Veteran
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon
Nice job!  I noticed the jam at T2 as well.  I had to wait for four other people.  Since it was my first race I did not think much of it.  What did bug me was the jam at the finish line.  They should have let people get out of the way before they tried to take your chips off.
2006-08-21 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Way to go! Nice race. Im in the same AG but behind you a few spots. We should meet at the next event...we probably saw each other out on the course!
2006-08-21 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice race Drew, and good job on having a solid swim and run! Good to see that some of the pacing efforts are evening out as well with how hard you can go on the bike and still have a good run. Looks like it worked here.
2006-08-21 12:10 PM
in reply to: #517504

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Sounds like you had a good race.  Too bad I didn't get to meet you this time around.
2006-08-21 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Great job - especially so soon after your (1st right?) HIM!

2006-08-21 1:29 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Nice race Drew!  Great RR too....you have some funny stuff in there.  No mount/dismount line?  WHAT? 

you have gotten really fast!  Nice work!

2006-08-21 3:01 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Good for you on the run PR.  It feels good to have some successes each race.  Cramps suck and show up out of nowhere!  Congrats!
2006-08-21 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Nice race!!  Too bad I didn't get to meet you....I didn't get the chance to catch anyone except Zev....maybe next time :-)
2006-08-23 10:02 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

FAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST.

Good for you! And way to go after the prior weekend's HIM! Nice!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed