Georgia Multisports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 25s
Overall Rank = 32/184
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

One protein shake and one bottle vitamin water 2 hours prior to race. Even though I stayed at the site, I didn't get to transition area until 1 hour prior to race. Had to pick up my packet, get set up on some pretty crowded racks, and get marked. My bike seat is so high I had to tilt my bike to get it to fit under the rack to hang it by the seat, and my aerobottle interferred with hanging it by the handlebars. Finished everything about 10 min before race start. Had 3 cliff blocks just prior to start.
Event warmup:

Swam out to the first buoy and back a couple of times. Disocvered that my new tri top was looser in the water than I would like, but it was too late by that point.
Swim
  • 09m 23s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off fast, and quickly was one of the first 3 in my wave. I was doing pretty good until we started catching up to the preceding wave, which happened within 100 yards. I made the mistake of going around the first guy wide, and the next thing you know I'm well outside with a big crowd inside me. Probably went out a bit too fast as well, because by 1/2 way I had to breath every stroke. Visibility sucked and I had two collisions which brought me to a dead stop both times. My new tri-shirt was loose and draggy, and didn't help much either. Time includes about 100-150 yard run to the transition area.

I'm getting very frustrated with my swim. I can swim 1:45/100 all day long in the pool, bilateral breathing, and relaxed. I can do 400 yds in the pool in 6:30 with effort. The night prior to the race I swam the course with my wife, not hard at all, and in fact stopped twice to wait for her, and it still only took 9:12. I didn't panic, I just didn't navigate well, and I didn't stay in the thick of the race as I should have.
What would you do differently?:

I just need more experience in OW racing, and dealing with the mass confusion. Remember to stay relaxed.
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Great and smooth T1. Fastest in my age group and one of fasted overall.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 37m 30s
  • 13.6 miles
  • 21.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried to follow a race plan this time. Started out in zone 3 first mile or two, then began to push it up. I tried to not leave it all on the bike, and consequently tried to stay mid-zone 4 until the last 3 miles. At that point I kicked it in, and had my speed up to 24+ on a nice flat section, with HR right at LT (162). Tried using HEED for my race drink, which I have done twice in training without difficulties. Race day was different. Either I made it too strong, or it clashed with the cliff blocks I ate just prior to the race, because I had some abdominal discomfort from the last half of the bike through the end of the race..

Maybe push a little harder from halfway on, but I was trying to save some for the run. More races to help me get a better feel for the balance.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Unfortunately I came into T2 at the same time as the guy right next to me on the rack. Had a little trouble getting to my gear and letting him get to his. Other than that, which may have cost 10 secs or so I was pleased.

Nothing I could do really. More race experience.
Run
  • 24m 57s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

EXCELLENT! I way surpassed my goal for this race, although it didn't feel like it at all. Came out of T2 with an easy gait, trying to get my legs under me, and my HR down a little. Having lots of bad wet burps. Tried drinking some water, but never more than a swallow per aid station as I did not want to walk, and those little dixie cups are hard to grab on the run without spilling half. At the halfway point a man in my age group told me I was looking good - as he pulled on by. (I think only 4 or 5 people passed me on the run this time.) Shortly after that I decided to pick up my pace and just go for it. I did, managing to catch two people, but in the last 3/4 mile I started having some chest pain even though I was just below LT. With my family history, it made me nervous, so I backed off for a couple of minutes, until it went away. Picked it back up, and let wne guy by at 200 yards to go, as he wasn't in my age group. Came to the chute, and was amazed at my time. I didn't think I had run anywhere near that fast.

All this HR training is paying off. 4 and 1/2 months ago I could barely run a mile, and that took close to 11-12 minutes. Now I'm down to 8 min miles in a tri. I'm psyched.

May use my fuel belt, the better to drink with. Also, if the chest pain becomes a recurring pattern I'm going to the cardiologist for clearance. I did a stress treadmill back in April, and all was good, but my dad, and both my grandfathers had heart attacks by 50-53 years old. That makes me a bit nervous regarding chest pain. Everything else is just pain, and I can push through it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank two bottles of water and ate a protein bar. Found my kids and the babysitter and stayed at the finish waiting on Larissa and several friends in the race. It was great to have friends there, and cheer them in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim - lack of experience, maybe the loose shirt just a bit.
Bike - poor nutrition choices, otherwise great.
Run - hydration, heat, base - but actually I am very happy.

Event comments:

Only my third race, and by far my best to date. My only dissapointment was in my swim. It was great, not just because of my performance, but because I had friends there. Nice venue, and fairly flat, even for a flatlander like me. The more I race, the more fun I have. This is a definite for next year, schedule permitting.

Last updated: 2006-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:23 | 400 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 0/184
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri-top and shorts
Course: Inverted U around nice large buoys. Water was murky and hot. Looking at everyones's swim times, I think the course was a little longer than 400.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:30 | 13.6 miles | 21.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/14
Avg HR probably around 158.
Wind: None
Course: Loop. Numerous turns and little rollers first half. Last half was straight, again with a few small rollers. Except first mile, and last 3 the roads were pretty rough. BTW - published distance was 13.6, but my bike computer, and at least 3 others I know of, measured 13.2 miles.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:57 | 03.1 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/14
Started at HR 158, allowed it up to 160 (high zone 3) until mile two, then gradually picked up the pace to just below LT at 166.
Course: Flat, Y shaped course with 2 turnarounds. Hot and sunny, very little shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Subject: Georgia Veterans Triathlon

2006-08-21 12:50 PM
in reply to: #517541

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Georgia Veterans Triathlon

Looks like you had a good race. I can't stomach those Clif Shot Blocks too often. Seeing your comment about your race top helped me make up my mind to test mine out in the pool before my race in a couple weeks. It is a new Army Triathlon Team shirt and it is a tiny bit bigger than what I am used to. My other ones are tight enough when wet that they feel like they constrict my breathing a little so maybe it is just right.

Good job!

Michael 

2006-08-21 6:51 PM

Veteran
Snellville
Good race!  How did you get out of T1 that fast?  I was camping there compared to your time. 
2006-08-21 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Awesome job all around, Darrell. Like you said, you're stuck in one of the toughest age groups. And no matter how disappointed you were with the swim, that is a great time. You rocked! Your race was something to be really proud of!
2006-08-23 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Nice job! This was also my third race......what a great event. Your bike time was smokin'....keep up the good work.
2006-08-25 4:21 PM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Great race.  Very consistent across the board - and actual placed higher in your age group on the run than you did in the swim/bike!  You had a really strong run at the end and should be pround of this one...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgia Veterans Triathlon Rss Feed