General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Everything Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-21 1:49 PM

User image

New user

Subject: New to Everything

Hi everyone.   I've been trying to find a way to motivate myself to exersize in anyway for years.  I finally deicded one day to Tri.  I have no idea why, perhaps its the challenge of mastering three sports.  I'm the type of person that loves new things and loves to push myself towards goals.  This has just never included sports or exersize before.

My biggest issue here is that due to (minor) exersize induced asthma I've never been able to run, never biked much in my life, and never really liked swimming, so I've really set myself up for a challenge.  For the past two weeks I've just been learning as much as I can and working on my endurce with some training plans. 

So any advice and/or encouragement would help greatly.   I've decided to sign up for an easy 5k in september as my first goal and I've convinced my husband that he wants to train with me (he's always up for any crazy idea). 

Brynn in Chicago 

2006-08-21 2:24 PM
in reply to: #517672

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: New to Everything

Welcome Brynn from Chicago"

This is John from Downstate.  I'll be in your fair city this weekend for the Chicago Accenture Tri.  

You've found paradise for people like you (and me).  You are not the only one suffering from the exercise induced asthma - - I know of at least two others (regulars at BT) who suffer too.  Don't let is discourage you.

Welcome!  Get familar with your on-line log and search the forums for info. 

Tri hard, rest harder! 

2006-08-21 2:29 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Welcome Brynn,

I'm a newbie here too and also convinced my wife to train with me.  We both look at it as a great way to get in shape with a goal at the end (a sprint tri next March) and a routine to follow ("couch to 5k" followed by "12 week sprint" ).  Neither of us regularly bike or swim so that will be new, and my wife walks/runs on the treadmill, but I always hated running.  I now know why... I never had a plan and just tried to go too fast too long too soon.

Anyway, we're 4 weeks into our "Couch to 5k" program, have met some really nice people on here, and reading just like you are.  I bought a beginner triathlete book by Joel Friel (sorry forgot the name of it) and we both like that.  I'm an engineering geek and get into the science, so I also bought the "triathlete's training bible" also by Friel.  That helps explain more of the details and concepts of the training plans.  Both helped me understand its smart to start slow and build up gradually rather than all at once.

Welcome aboard!

Rob

Edited by luminary01 2006-08-21 2:32 PM
2006-08-21 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Welcome Brynn. I don't have exercise-induced asthma, just adult asthma, diagnosed a few years back.

Hang in with it, and don't let it get you down! Make sure that you use the inhalor prior to exercise and again after, and you'll speed like I do with the adrenalin-based drug!

Keep us all posted on your progress!

Jac

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Everything Rss Feed