General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Boulder? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-10 2:04 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman Boulder?
Anybody want to train? (i'm in Aurora, but when it warms up I can meet most places especially for long rides, my weak sport)
I'm considering signing up but i'm nervous would be my first ironman.
Did harvest moon in 6:30. Starting cycling really in May and worked my way up to 100 miles twice and one 80 miler. I've run 14 or so marathons and used to be a swimmer...
The half ironman went great, I almost felt too good.. i think the 2 century rides and training concurrently for the Berlin marathon helped... So i know i could do the ironman...
Still the thoughts of it seem daunting!!

I barely learned "click" shoes this past summer... I'm worried about having to get "aerobars" for my road bike or a tri bike.. just afraid i will fall over.
Also concerned about the logistics of it all and do you get to go back to the transition area if you are running in the dark to get a head lamp? Or just have to wear it the whole time?
I have a wetsuit and feel like i'm dying/choking, its so tight around the neck it causes me to panic.. So i did multiple triathlon this past summer all with NO wetsuit. Almost everybody else was wearing a wetsuit and passing me, i do feel this is slowing my time on the swim.

I've been a runner for 10 years and swam prior to becoming a runner... I signed up for a marathon before i ever did a 10k race.. Go big or go home.. But i feel like the ironman is a whole different ballgame with super fit, strong, athletic, super fast type people... (Not average slower type people like me)

I feel like i'm not "elite" enough to be signing up for an ironman...
Do i need to be more of a pro before risking the holy grail?

Any words of wisdom?

Should i jump or not?

2014-12-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: marathongirl21

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ironman Boulder?
I might be the one & only here to simple say NO. Wait, What?!?!?NOOOOOO, Are You Crazy?!?!?! My point of view comes from this side of the the greener grass. I say that your 1st Ironman should not be in Boulder for a number of reasons. Like, way too many people, very unhealthy water conditions, & volunteering would be way more rewarding. I say way too many people because its a zoo during the days leading up to & in the swim area. I say unhealthy conditions because a number of bloggers had GI issues & a number of folks DID NOT start the bike or dropped shortly into the bike & have previously competed in AND finished other Ironman distances before. And I say volunteering because the Boulder coarse is awesome w/crazy beautiful views.

I am totally supportive on your idea of training, reaching out to others to train with, & the idea of you setting goals. We all know that your journey will be one of triumph & reflections. Smaller races though out the summer will be perfect stepping stones so I totally encourage you to find an Ironman race outside of your comfort zone.

I am on the other side of the divide ( GJ,CO ) from you & we will have a number of events out here for you. Marathons, Ironman's, Mt Biking, & Utah has much much more as well.

Last But Not Least, Stay Strong!!
Feel Free To Ask Me More Questions,
Cheers
2014-12-13 4:02 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Sounds like you are mentally ready and know what you are in for!
I'm happy to bike with you. I love biking I'm off in the summers (mid May to Mid Aug) so I'll be flexible in summer.
I have no idea how the first year of IM Boulder went - from an expense standpoint, it's a whole lot cheaper to race in state. If you are willing to branch out, Coeur d'Alene looks like it is still open and it is an amazing race/course. Beautiful!
Good luck!
2014-12-14 11:57 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
and....to answer your questions about headlamp, etc, Mid way through your bike and run, you can have a "special needs" bag and put stuff in it that you might need (but nothing super valuable b/c there is no guarantee of getting your bag back later). For my run special needs bag, I had a long sleeve shirt and extra pair of socks. So you have options for stuff. I believe you have to use reflective gear from the start of the run if you will finish after dark.
2014-12-15 7:34 PM
in reply to: COgirl

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I strongly recommend a headlamp in your SN bag (or carry it with you until you need it out of T2). It was DARK on the canyon/north end of the run course. My running buddy tripped over a large twig and nearly fell. We then walked a whole bunch, figuring it was safer to walk than to run and trip on something in the dark.
2014-12-16 2:21 PM

User image

I volunteered at IM Boulder last August which is what got me into the sport. It was my cousin's fifteenth Ironman and he said it was a challenging course especially the bike with so much climbing. I'm doing the 70.3 in Boulder in June but he recommends IMAZ or IMKY for first timers attempting the full distance.

I'm new to the sport and have only been training since August so I'm not very accomplished... new to running but can swim decently and can pound the pedals. I'm in Aurora too with Aurora Reservoir nearly in my backyard and am always up for not training alone.

2014-12-16 6:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

It sounds like you're more ready than others have been for the first IM.  You are a strong runner, comfortable swimmer, and have already handled long bike rides.  A 6:30 HIM easily puts you in the 17 hour window for finishing with proper training/training plan.

I finished IM Boulder and thought it was a great race but I did have GI issues that started during the bike.  Blame it on the Rez, blame it on the heat, who knows.  I didn't think the crowds were any worse than IMAZ.  The swim format made the swim relaxing and the bike was beautiful.  The run course was crowded but it wasn't a problem and the atmosphere was amazing.  The run course was, however, very dark as time went on.  There is something to be said for being able to sleep in your own bed the night before and train on the course.  But yes, the heat can be an issue and there were certainly concerns about the water quality.  A 27% DNF rate has unfortunately given the race a black eye.

My first was Arizona and it is a perfect first IM.  As for IM finishers being some sort of other world athlete, you couldn't be more wrong; just watch the finish line coverage (Hawaii not withstanding).  Anyone can finish an IM as long as you put in the time, effort, and training prior to the race and then, more importantly, execute a sound race and nutrition plan.  Things can and will go wrong on race day but typically you have time to correct your problems and still finish.

2015-02-25 5:00 PM

Do it! As others have stated you are in better shape than most people taking the plunge. I did it last year and had a blast. the bike course is hard but manageable.
2015-04-02 5:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
I did Harvest Moon in 2006 in the 7:20s and did Ironman Arizona in Nov. 2008 in the 14s. Just put in the Training so I didn't slow down at twice the distance, mostly.

Besides a 2nd for IMAZ as a 1st Ironman with the lower altitude and easier course and NOT Humid as is KY, I would say someone who's a Swimmer and Multiple Marathon Finishing Runner who found a Half IM at Altitude had you feeling almost too good, means you're poised to make an excellent Ironman, and you're exactly who SHOULD do a first Ironman, provided you can put in the same kind of time on the bike as last year, stretch out the Swims, and act again like you're training for a Marathon at the same time.
I think you've got it made(!) if you do the work.

Ironman is more about "energy management", than even a Marathon which after 14 I'm sure you have dialed in and is at least somewhat about pain/effort management.
Fueling to finish vs 'Racing' is a good thing to learn the 1st time at the LONG distance, especially if it's at Boulder, where you'll want to Climb as 'gently' as you can to avoid GI shutdown on the Bike.

At IMAZ I didn't even come out of the saddle at corners etc on the Bike and took in massive liquid calories as I had trained to do, so that even a slowpoke with lots of Bio-mechanical issues could enjoy the Ironman experience well within the cutoffs.

It's not bad to feel a little apprehensive/tentative/scared because it'll make you do everything right. You can think of an Ironman Entry Fee as a Gym Membership and being entered as a sort of Personal Trainer... and get your $$'s worth!
As you elude to, time to either get rid of or modify that Wetsuit, or try on others that don't constrict the neck so much, and put in the easy time on the Bike- couple more Centuries sounds perfect.

I would suggest the main things you'll need, is DO the Training, and enjoy YOUR fitness, staying in control at the event of your desire to 'Race Hard'.
Fact is, once you've done it, you'll know how much faster you'd like to go... or that faster is not for you. Who knows, you sound like you have the basic skills, enjoy the training, and continuing you could find you have exceptional fat burning capability, and that combination is what creates elites in the making. :-)
I found Gordo's "Endurance Essentials" and "Pacing Your First Ironman" invaluable.
http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/index.html
Best of Luck, Ironman!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Boulder? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Boulder City Council to Consider full distance Ironman in 2014 Pages: 1 2

Started by Dino019
Views: 5036 Posts: 30

2013-07-08 9:31 AM rick4657

Ironman tent sale in Boulder

Started by TL2
Views: 1981 Posts: 5

2010-10-02 8:22 AM acefaser

Ironman 70.3 Boulder Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by ouradventure
Views: 9530 Posts: 84

2010-02-02 12:51 PM xmann1102

Boulder Peak training

Started by joeinco
Views: 1826 Posts: 23

2005-07-20 11:06 PM aphoric

Cyclist killed in Boulder on Memorial Day--Memorial ride info

Started by Holliewd
Views: 1430 Posts: 3

2005-07-09 12:50 PM nealy_uk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
comments : 1
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.