General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clueless people on the bike path Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-12-10 4:39 PM

User image

Subject: Clueless people on the bike path
I just finished a training ride today on out bike path and some of the other users are driving me crazy. I always slow down a little and call out way in advance "on your left", I always say hi as I pass and also thank them. Probably less that 1 out of 5 even acknowledge or says hi back. The rest either jump to the side frightened when I call out even though I am a good 50-60 feet behind them still, glare back and look at me like I am some kind of creep, or do nothing and stay in the middle of the trail. Then you throw in the people with the completely untrained dogs on the 50' extending leashes, and roller bladders weaving back and forth across the entire trail while listening to music totally oblivious to your yelling to get their attention so you can pass safely... The only way I could get the roller bladders attention was to get so close that she eventually saw my shadow. Whenever I go walking or running on the trail I always periodically look over my shoulder to see what's coming up behind me for my own safety and as a courtesy to others. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me maintain my sanity? I could just stick to the roads but we have a really nice 40 mile 15' wide bike path that goes along the river and I would much prefer to ride on the path. During the summer I always just waited until about 1 in the afternoon when it was 95 degrees to ride and the path would be pretty much empty. Now that winter is here there is a lot more activity all day.

2014-12-10 4:46 PM
in reply to: jsrsy

User image

Subject: RE: Clueless people on the bike path
I honestly feel less safe riding on the bike paths then I do on the streets.
2014-12-10 5:12 PM

User image

What you are describing is a multi use path.  Meaning, it was made specifically for joggers, walkers, roller bladers, people walking their dogs, and otherwise clueless people....along with bikes.  A path made for all those type of people is not going to be a great place to train.  As the person passing, it is up to you to do so safely.  Nobody needs to yield to you just because you call out, ring a bell, etc.  They have just as much right to the path as you do, and they have every right to feel that you should yield to them by moving off the path out of their way.  I'm not saying that's what they should do...but there are generally no rules for a MUP, so don't expect any to be followed.

I do ride on a MUP everyday on my commute to work.  But I understand that I am just one of many users and my commute is no more important that the old lady I see everyday pushing a stroller full of bird seed with her two dogs leashed to it.  She takes up the entire path as she feeds the birds...but who's to say that she's not entitled to.  I slow down, sometimes ride off the path, and go on my way.  

Think of it as no different than trying to ride on sidewalk.

2014-12-10 5:53 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
, California

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me maintain my sanity?

Bell for your bike.  They sound stupid but pedestrians know what they are.

And always always slow down when little kids are riding their bikes on the path.  They sometimes wobble and aren't 100% in control.

2014-12-10 6:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

On at least some of the pathways around here people do not have the right of way to go wherever they want. They are expected to hold more to the side and operate fairly similar to a small roadway. The onus is still on the person passing to do so safely so the person up ahead can continue on with what they're doing. People riding side by side or using most all of the pathway (there can even be a centerline depending on location) are expected to move for the person overtaking or oncoming, but just back into their own side. Having said all that, it's still a MUP and expecting to really be able to hit your workout pacing all the time is asking a bit much. Expect these things to happen and just take what is given for the day. I mostly just ride these types of paths when I'm only out to enjoy the day.

2014-12-10 8:20 PM
in reply to: #5073755

Yeah, MUP's are not meant for fast riding bikes. I'll generally stay off it unless the weather is bad and I know no one will be out there.

2014-12-10 8:26 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by ziggie204

Yeah, MUP's are not meant for fast riding bikes. I'll generally stay off it unless the weather is bad and I know no one will be out there.

Many of them have a written (or unwritten) speed limit of 12-15 MPH so it is possible that the glares/hostile glances are related to your pace on the trail.
2014-12-11 6:19 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by ziggie204

Many of them have a written (or unwritten) speed limit of 12-15 MPH so it is possible that the glares/hostile glances are related to your pace on the trail.

Riding on bike paths is not necessarily the best thing… as said, most cities do have a speed limit on bike paths, and it varies quite a bit from expressed speed limit in MPH (commonly 8-12mph) or something like "safe operating speed" which commonly means about the same 8-12. If you go faster than that (and I assume you do), you should probably stay off the bike paths.
2014-12-11 9:43 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jason N

What you are describing is a multi use path.  Meaning, it was made specifically for joggers, walkers, roller bladers, people walking their dogs, and otherwise clueless people....along with bikes.  A path made for all those type of people is not going to be a great place to train.  As the person passing, it is up to you to do so safely.  Nobody needs to yield to you just because you call out, ring a bell, etc.  They have just as much right to the path as you do, and they have every right to feel that you should yield to them by moving off the path out of their way.  I'm not saying that's what they should do...but there are generally no rules for a MUP, so don't expect any to be followed.

I do ride on a MUP everyday on my commute to work.  But I understand that I am just one of many users and my commute is no more important that the old lady I see everyday pushing a stroller full of bird seed with her two dogs leashed to it.  She takes up the entire path as she feeds the birds...but who's to say that she's not entitled to.  I slow down, sometimes ride off the path, and go on my way.  

So much this.

We have a few of these paths in my city and I would never attempt to ride on them. Even running on them is iffy sometimes.

2014-12-11 9:45 AM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Get some good lights and ride early, like 5am. Put some wider tires on your bike, if you can, so going off the path to pass is not a big deal. Slow down a lot to pass and anywhere you can't see around a corner, look at the resulting accelerations as part of your workout. Some people like a bell or horn for alerting other users, I just pull my brake lever back a smidge and let it snap forward, makes a nice clicking sound that works well, helps avoid startling them when calling out 'on your left'.
2014-12-11 10:26 AM

User image

MUP. Give it up and ride the shoulders of the road

2014-12-11 10:34 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Jason N

So much this.

We have a few of these paths in my city and I would never attempt to ride on them. Even running on them is iffy sometimes.

Exactly.  A couple of my regular training ride routes i'll use the well-known MUP more as a connection but i don't worry about maintaining speed. And riding early helps when its mostly bike commuters and runners using the path. I avoid it at all costs on warm summer days after about 10:30 am when it full of all kinds of people enjoying the area in all kinds of ways. 

2014-12-11 10:58 AM
in reply to: #5073804

User image

Agree with everyone else. Multiuse paths are not meant for a training ride.

Those around here have a 20 kph speed limit posted- or about 12 mph. That's leisurely cycling at best.
2014-12-11 12:14 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Dog owners call them leashes.
I call them decapitation devices.

I don't mind absentminded people clogging up paths. Or they're young kids on a bike. I give them all a wide berth and drop speed. They're just making a mistake. We all make absentminded mistakes while driving, biking, walking, you name it. Almost everyone apologizes or at least recognizes that they weren't sharing the trail. It's only dog owners who seem to think the rules don't apply to their dogs. Never had an issue with roller bladers. I only use the trails when I want to enjoy the scenery and just want to ride.

It's the dog owners who make a conscious choice to put an unpredictable animal on a 20 foot leash (if we're lucky they have a leash at all), walk down the right side of the path while their dog is off sniffing daisies on the opposite side of the path. I've had more than a few dogs jump at me, or even 'nip' at me. One or two even get in front of me...causing the squeal of breaks and the ride off into the grass.

One day, if I happen to run over a dog, I'm not going to feel bad about it. I'll probably even send the owners a card every year to help them celebrate the death anniversary of their cherished dog that they caused. All dogs bark. All dogs lose it and do dumb things. Except, I suppose for superbly trained service dogs. But their owners are trained too.

My advice, don't take your dog on the multi-use trail. I don't go fast on the trails. I try to be extra conscious when people are around. Dogs don't have conscious'. They're dumb. All it takes is a 7 year old who doesn't quite have the control on a bike to wipe out your dumb dog.

Although, I have thought several times about a suggestion someone here made once....toss a few puppy treats in my bag and hand them out with a nice note for the owners of well behaved and controlled dogs who are "sharing the trail"
2014-12-11 1:06 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jhaack39 Dog owners call them leashes. I call them decapitation devices. I don't mind absentminded people clogging up paths. Or they're young kids on a bike. I give them all a wide berth and drop speed. They're just making a mistake. We all make absentminded mistakes while driving, biking, walking, you name it. Almost everyone apologizes or at least recognizes that they weren't sharing the trail. It's only dog owners who seem to think the rules don't apply to their dogs. Never had an issue with roller bladers. I only use the trails when I want to enjoy the scenery and just want to ride. It's the dog owners who make a conscious choice to put an unpredictable animal on a 20 foot leash (if we're lucky they have a leash at all), walk down the right side of the path while their dog is off sniffing daisies on the opposite side of the path. I've had more than a few dogs jump at me, or even 'nip' at me. One or two even get in front of me...causing the squeal of breaks and the ride off into the grass. One day, if I happen to run over a dog, I'm not going to feel bad about it. I'll probably even send the owners a card every year to help them celebrate the death anniversary of their cherished dog that they caused. All dogs bark. All dogs lose it and do dumb things. Except, I suppose for superbly trained service dogs. But their owners are trained too. My advice, don't take your dog on the multi-use trail. I don't go fast on the trails. I try to be extra conscious when people are around. Dogs don't have conscious'. They're dumb. All it takes is a 7 year old who doesn't quite have the control on a bike to wipe out your dumb dog. Although, I have thought several times about a suggestion someone here made once....toss a few puppy treats in my bag and hand them out with a nice note for the owners of well behaved and controlled dogs who are "sharing the trail"

I don't know......I haven't met too many dumb dogs....but I've sure met a lot of dumb people.

2014-12-11 1:11 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jhaack39

One day, if I happen to run over a dog, I'm not going to feel bad about it. I'll probably even send the owners a card every year to help them celebrate the death anniversary of their cherished dog that they caused.  

What a lovely post.

2014-12-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by jhaack39

One day, if I happen to run over a dog, I'm not going to feel bad about it. I'll probably even send the owners a card every year to help them celebrate the death anniversary of their cherished dog that they caused.  

What a lovely post.

Person is trolling
2014-12-11 1:29 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-12-11 1:35 PM

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Yup...the bike path is no place for someone on a road bike riding at a fast pace.  There's just too much monkey business going on all over those paths.  IMO the open road is much safer.

2014-12-11 2:04 PM
in reply to: 0

I'm not trolling.

Well, I suppose I am maybe being a bit over the top...

Being that I use trails only recreationally (I don't think I've ever even had my road bike on a trail....hybrid yes, road bike...no)...
I wouldn't actually send a card. But I wouldn't feel one bit of bad if a dog jumped in front of me and got squashed.

I'd feel bad for anyone else that did it. 10 year old kid. Senior citizen out getting some exercise.
Wouldn't feel one bit bad for the owner.

Dogs are your best friend. Not mine. Nor a large percentage of other people respectfully and safely using the trail.

I wouldn't say it would be a feeling of joy like when I kill a mole in the yard with a trap. It would just be a non-existent feeling. No ounce of pity or empathy. Well, maybe for the dog. But not the owner, for sure.

Edited by jhaack39 2014-12-11 2:04 PM
2014-12-11 2:14 PM

Pro

Originally posted by jhaack39 Dogs are your best friend. Not mine.......... I wouldn't say it would be a feeling of joy like when I kill a mole in the yard with a trap. It would just be a non-existent feeling. No ounce of pity or empathy. Well, maybe for the dog. But not the owner, for sure.

HAHAHAHA!!! You're killing me.

2014-12-11 2:43 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
, California

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jhaack39 Dogs are your best friend. Not mine.......... I wouldn't say it would be a feeling of joy like when I kill a mole in the yard with a trap. It would just be a non-existent feeling. No ounce of pity or empathy. Well, maybe for the dog. But not the owner, for sure.

The really funny part is that the dog will probably just walk it off while the rider is suffering a broken collarbone.

2014-12-11 3:26 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I hear your rant. Sorry! I'm not even sure you are talking about multi-use paths. We have bike paths here with walkers all over them, so I feel your pain.

There's a few training rides here that people do on MUPs, the Seymour demonstration forest is one. It's a great out and back and really fun to train on, but you have to be really careful, especially around the blind corners. A couple of years back, a rollerblader crossed to the wrong side, met a cyclist head on and the cyclist died there. So while I do enjoy the Seymour Demonstration Forest and a few other multi-use path training rides, I always err on the side of caution. It doesn't mean that I don't like to rant about it sometimes though.

We also have lots of bike paths/multi-use paths that you must use in some areas. Bikes are not allowed on the roadway. I yell loudly to pass. It seems to work the best.

I went on a group ride from Portland once and we had a large group really flying down a heavily used multi-use path. That was quite frightening. 

Edited by jeng 2014-12-11 3:29 PM
2014-12-11 3:28 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Oh man. I do cyclocross rides in the Pacific Spirit Trails at UBC. The trails are multi-use. There's not that many places to ride cyclocross though and it's a really popular biking area. Most try to be good citizens and stay to the right, but some people with their dogs are insane. I'd feel badly if I hit a dog, but I wouldn't really feel guilty.

Edited by jeng 2014-12-11 3:30 PM
2014-12-11 3:33 PM
in reply to: spudone

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Left Brain

The really funny part is that the dog will probably just walk it off while the rider is suffering a broken collarbone.

And bust your front wheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0dzMp61G5w
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clueless people on the bike path Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Biking in Del Mar - Hwy 56 Bike path questions

Started by runspingirl
Views: 2575 Posts: 6

2013-10-03 6:33 PM fearlessraces

Clueless newbie needs a road/tri bike

Started by Xoccerlvr
Views: 1599 Posts: 19

2012-06-29 4:14 PM m2tx

yet another bike question from a clueless rider

Started by mjbscott
Views: 1782 Posts: 20

2011-07-15 12:56 PM noofus

need a bike, shopping locally, and clueless!

Started by chasing3
Views: 564 Posts: 3

2009-02-21 11:15 AM chasing3

Bike Paths

Started by David14
Views: 708 Posts: 6

2005-07-23 9:29 AM David14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 27, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
We often forget the Other, that person or persons living behind the doors of our individual hubris, that secreted cheerleader who polishes our medals but never wins one of their own.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.