Triple Crown of Running
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 55m 38s
Overall Rank = 486/2165
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 103/198
Pre-race routine:

We arrived in Colorado Springs Friday afternoon, picked up our packets and checked into hotel. It rained pretty much all day and night on Friday. We went to a really good Italian place named Roman Villa...highly recommend if in Co. Springs. Woke up Race day to find it raining. Ate a bagel and peanut butter, drank some gatorade and headed out to Manitou Springs.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site and it wasn't raining :) . Stood around and stretched and positioned ourselves in the middle of the pack. Ate a gel about 15 minutes to the start and felt the buzz from all the contestants.
Run
  • 3h 55m 38s
  • 13.32 miles
  • 17m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my 3rd time running the race and it doesn't get any easier. There was 1100 people in my wave so things get a little crowded at the start. We had perfect weather for the race, overcast and foggy, kept things cool at the start and pretty cold at the top. Had a good run/hike and had a good time. Saw the usual "rock huggers", people that can't handle the altitude and hug rocks to keep from falling down. Didn't see anyone passed out this year which was good. Everyone in my group bettered their time from last year, so that was awesome.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go out a little harder on the street portion to get in front of more people. It can be hard to pass on the trail.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished the race and got my sweat check bag and changed into cold weather clothes and waited with ABQKid for our other buddy that was still racing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of specific training. This year I've been training for tri's and didn't really do any trail and mountain running.

Event comments:

This is one of if not the most organized race that I do. They have a lot of volunteers and a lot of fully stocked aid stations. I highly recommend this race to anyone that wants a true physical and mental challenge.

Last updated: 2006-05-09 12:00 AM
Running
03:55:38 | 13.32 miles | 17m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 103/198
Overall: 486/2165
Performance: Good
Course: Starts in the streets of Manitou Springs and then heads up Barr trail almost 8000 feet gain in altitude.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Pikes Peak Ascent

2006-08-21 4:08 PM
in reply to: #517835

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: Pikes Peak Ascent

You ran UP pikes peak!?!  Criminey...and not for the 1st, but for the 3rd time!!

Sounds like an amazing and fave race of yours, but it certainly is a half-marathon that I can never imagine doing myself.  I was whining about the smallest rollers on my 13.1 course yesterday.  I'm a wimp. 

Were the trails slippery/soggy or dangerous?

2006-08-21 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job!! What a great race! I've hiked Pikes Peak; not sure I could run up it.
2006-08-21 5:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Pikes peak is a great race and has become a favorite of mine (not while doing it)
The trail only had a few spots with standing water and some ruts at the beginning, but other than that it was in perfect shape.

I wouldn't call my speed running, maybe a fast walk until tree line, then it slows to a crawl. The last three miles are above tree line, and usually make up 30% of your total time.
2006-08-21 6:18 PM
in reply to: #517987

User image

Champion
Alabama
Awesome! I hike up the Pike one time and it boggles my mind how anyone can 'run' up any of it. I agree, the last 3 miles took forever.

Ya da man! Good job!

~Mike
2006-08-21 8:41 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Good job!  This year was great because we didn't have to deal with any snow in the top.  I think Roman Villa's helped us up the mountain...man that was good!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Ascent Rss Feed