BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-12-28 4:33 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors - OPEN to all kinds!

Originally posted by StaceyK Mary my goal for the Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge is 30 minutes of physical activity a day. ETA - and Yanti's should be NO SWIMMING as per Doctors orders. Really disappointed to see that 5k open water swim listed in your races, happy that it's not the 20k Rotto swim but how does training for a 5k fit into the NO SWIMMING thing?

Bad Yanti!  Bad!

2014-12-28 10:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by StaceyK Mary my goal for the Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem Challenge is 30 minutes of physical activity a day. ETA - and Yanti's should be NO SWIMMING as per Doctors orders. Really disappointed to see that 5k open water swim listed in your races, happy that it's not the 20k Rotto swim but how does training for a 5k fit into the NO SWIMMING thing?

Bad Yanti!  Bad!

I don't think Yanti takes orders from anybody, least of all doctors.

2014-12-29 9:45 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by msteiner

Ha!  I'm fine with that designation, and welcome all new and returning members.  

Everybody got fun training going on this weekend?  It's going to rain all weekend here, so I have lots of trainer time ahead.

Welcome, Matt MS, and welcome back everybody else!

I tried aqua-jogging for the first time as a way to "run" without hurting my already hurty knee.  It worked great, although I felt like a dork wandering around the deep area of the pool.  Then I did a little 800 yd. swim.  And for the record, I've done *two* strength training sessions this week, have a 3rd scheduled for tomorrow and definitely plan to do it!!  I've decided that instead of being annoyed at the playful dog who thinks strength training = play time for her, I'm going to enjoy it and giggle my way through.  It definitely makes it less dreadful.  Plus if I can manage to do all my assigned strength training sessions for 4 weeks, I get a new, fancier (and better) foam roller.  My coach will be pleased that I'm doing what I'm supposed to do and I'll be proud of myself for not skipping.  I might even get some benefit and get stronger.  What a concept! 

Good girl, Mary, trying aqua-jogging despite worrying about the dork factor and excellent job "doing what you are supposed to be doing" per the coach.  I hope PT gets you back on track soon!  Yes, dogs can make strength training extra challenging, but taking your approach is the best way to deal with it, IMO.  Roll with it, you'll eventually get the workout in between dog toy throws!   My Jack Russell thinks as soon as I'm on the floor for core work she needs to climb on me and stand on my chest/stomach, so I've actually held her to my chest and used her as resistance weight while doing crunches!  Oddly enough, she doesn't mind and seems to like it...no one  ever claimed that dog was normal...

2014-12-29 9:46 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Pennsylvania

I love Yanti's race list - 7 different countries!!  So cool.

2014-12-29 10:15 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jmkizer

Bad Yanti!  Bad!

I don't think Yanti takes orders from anybody, least of all doctors.

Hey, I never said I was gonna TRAIN for the thing! It's a nice little dip to get reacquainted with the water and because I have to drive Kingsley to do the 10K there anyway. Based on an earlier start time for him and an incredibly much slower me, we should finish around the same time.

If there are jellyfish during warmup, though, I'll probably DNS. I kind of like the arrangement my skin is in and it's been rearranged enough already lately!

I just have to post this pic again. It's so awful 4 days before my wedding. Sexiest bride ever, face like that and I was covered in blood too by the time I got to the actual wedding!

2014-12-29 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hello!!
I would love to join your group, it sounds like the place for me to begin again...

I started doing Triathlon's in 2007, have since done sprints, Olympic and attempted a HIM, I finished the swim and bike, but didn't make the time limit on the run. The last two years I have put my passion for Triathlons on hold due to tragic circumstances, loss and grief...I just lost myself in the process.

I feel I am now prepared and ready to rejoin the sport I love and that fulfills my desire to challenge myself. I am 50lbs heavier than I was two years ago, and I'm a little older. But I love this sport and I love to encourage, inspire and watch others achieve while I myself reinvent myself and my goals. I was considering becoming a mentor, but I don't feel I'm ready to do that yet and I don't want to overwhelm myself while just getting back to the sport.

I hope you have room for me. Yanti I recall you from my years gone by here on BT, I remember feeling you had a wonderful spirit and were a joyful person. Maybe you are just what I need to make my comeback at 53 years old!!

Thank you!!

NAME: Amy Mutz
Occupation: Full time student, attending college to get a Masters in Social Work
FAMILY STATUS: Married, two grown children
CURRENT TRAINING: Biking, Power Walking/Running, Swimming
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Compete again in two sprints, 1/2 Marathon Louisville, Possible Olympic at end of season
BODY COMPOSITION: 50 lbs overweight, strong athletic build

2014-12-29 11:16 AM
in reply to: amy mutz

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by amy mutz Hello!! I would love to join your group, it sounds like the place for me to begin again... I started doing Triathlon's in 2007, have since done sprints, Olympic and attempted a HIM, I finished the swim and bike, but didn't make the time limit on the run. The last two years I have put my passion for Triathlons on hold due to tragic circumstances, loss and grief...I just lost myself in the process. I feel I am now prepared and ready to rejoin the sport I love and that fulfills my desire to challenge myself. I am 50lbs heavier than I was two years ago, and I'm a little older. But I love this sport and I love to encourage, inspire and watch others achieve while I myself reinvent myself and my goals. I was considering becoming a mentor, but I don't feel I'm ready to do that yet and I don't want to overwhelm myself while just getting back to the sport. I hope you have room for me. Yanti I recall you from my years gone by here on BT, I remember feeling you had a wonderful spirit and were a joyful person. Maybe you are just what I need to make my comeback at 53 years old!! Thank you!! NAME: Amy Mutz Age: 53 Occupation: Full time student, attending college to get a Masters in Social Work FAMILY STATUS: Married, two grown children CURRENT TRAINING: Biking, Power Walking/Running, Swimming THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Compete again in two sprints, 1/2 Marathon Louisville, Possible Olympic at end of season BODY COMPOSITION: 50 lbs overweight, strong athletic build

Welcome back and welcome to the Manatees, Amy!

This is an amazing group of people and you are no exception. Life is an endurance event, especially when it's rough--congrats on getting through the last couple years, and these folks will have your back through thick and thin in the future.

I think you and I joined BT around the same time, a few eons ago

2014-12-29 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Got a fun 5.5 hr ride in yesterday for 110 miles, despite it being a bit wet and cold.  My team got new kits in, so we had to try them out.

2014-12-29 11:25 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Ha!  I'm fine with that designation, and welcome all new and returning members.  

Everybody got fun training going on this weekend?  It's going to rain all weekend here, so I have lots of trainer time ahead.

Welcome, Matt MS, and welcome back everybody else!

I tried aqua-jogging for the first time as a way to "run" without hurting my already hurty knee.  It worked great, although I felt like a dork wandering around the deep area of the pool.  Then I did a little 800 yd. swim.  And for the record, I've done *two* strength training sessions this week, have a 3rd scheduled for tomorrow and definitely plan to do it!!  I've decided that instead of being annoyed at the playful dog who thinks strength training = play time for her, I'm going to enjoy it and giggle my way through.  It definitely makes it less dreadful.  Plus if I can manage to do all my assigned strength training sessions for 4 weeks, I get a new, fancier (and better) foam roller.  My coach will be pleased that I'm doing what I'm supposed to do and I'll be proud of myself for not skipping.  I might even get some benefit and get stronger.  What a concept! 

Good girl, Mary, trying aqua-jogging despite worrying about the dork factor and excellent job "doing what you are supposed to be doing" per the coach.  I hope PT gets you back on track soon!  Yes, dogs can make strength training extra challenging, but taking your approach is the best way to deal with it, IMO.  Roll with it, you'll eventually get the workout in between dog toy throws!   My Jack Russell thinks as soon as I'm on the floor for core work she needs to climb on me and stand on my chest/stomach, so I've actually held her to my chest and used her as resistance weight while doing crunches!  Oddly enough, she doesn't mind and seems to like it...no one  ever claimed that dog was normal...

That's awesome!  I've heard of people using their infants to work out too; they make great weights.  My play dog (the other one is the "love dog") gets all excited when I do active stuff.  She was absolutely thrilled by the mini-trampoline.  She kept putting her ball on it for me to kick while I was using it, then kept playing with it when I was done.  She finds a way to turn everything into a game.  She's quite an inspiration, really.  She has bad hips but such a sunshiny spirit that she never lets it slow her down.

Got an email from my coach yesterday.  She and her boss (the head coach of the group) want to do another run assessment to see if the way I changed my gait after my video assessment in Nov. is contributing to the knee problems.  I also got a PT appointment for 1/12.  At this rate, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do my HM in March.

2014-12-29 11:32 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amy mutz Hello!! I would love to join your group, it sounds like the place for me to begin again... I started doing Triathlon's in 2007, have since done sprints, Olympic and attempted a HIM, I finished the swim and bike, but didn't make the time limit on the run. The last two years I have put my passion for Triathlons on hold due to tragic circumstances, loss and grief...I just lost myself in the process. I feel I am now prepared and ready to rejoin the sport I love and that fulfills my desire to challenge myself. I am 50lbs heavier than I was two years ago, and I'm a little older. But I love this sport and I love to encourage, inspire and watch others achieve while I myself reinvent myself and my goals. I was considering becoming a mentor, but I don't feel I'm ready to do that yet and I don't want to overwhelm myself while just getting back to the sport. I hope you have room for me. Yanti I recall you from my years gone by here on BT, I remember feeling you had a wonderful spirit and were a joyful person. Maybe you are just what I need to make my comeback at 53 years old!! Thank you!! NAME: Amy Mutz Age: 53 Occupation: Full time student, attending college to get a Masters in Social Work FAMILY STATUS: Married, two grown children CURRENT TRAINING: Biking, Power Walking/Running, Swimming THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Compete again in two sprints, 1/2 Marathon Louisville, Possible Olympic at end of season BODY COMPOSITION: 50 lbs overweight, strong athletic build

Hi, Amy.  Welcome to the Pod; it really is a wonderful group and you sound like you'll fit right in.  I have an MSW too, although I'm not currently using it.  I graduated a little after my 40th birthday.  It was the most expensive therapy I ever did, but totally worth it!!  Congrats on making it through your rough couple of years and finding your way back out of the darkness.

2014-12-29 11:36 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Denver, CO

Got a fun 5.5 hr ride in yesterday for 110 miles, despite it being a bit wet and cold.  My team got new kits in, so we had to try them out.

Pretty spiffy new kits!  Which one is you? 

Great job on your ride.  Taking on the elements makes that kind of achievement all the sweeter, doesn't it?  Plus it helps justify a nice hot drink or two with your fellow sufferers. 

2014-12-29 11:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

First post on BT! I would like to join you guys if its still possible! I am currently on lunch break so I will complete my bio later tonight at home.

Bio: Grew up playing sports and was always a little overweight, not by much though.  Dropped all of the extra weight my first season of track where I did sprinting and pole vaulting.  I was down to around 175 or so and could run all day long! Finished high school off playing soccer and moved on to college.  Drank too much beer and ate too much pizza for 5 years and here I am a year after college at the age of 24 in the worst shape of my life!  Looking to change that now and look forward to working with everyone :)

NAME: Michael

FAMILY STATUS: Married w/2 dogs

CURRENT TRAINING: Since I am so dearly out of shape (2 mile bike ride plus a bunch of house chores wore me out today!) I decided to start it easy in the attempt of losing weight.  I will seek performance down the road! This plan is what I intend to use and will be joining the local YMCA to have access to their swimming pool this weekend.  Biggest thing will be cleaning up the diet...

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: None planned at the moment, but I imagine I will try a local 5k or two.

BODY COMPOSITION: Badly out of shape...unless of course you count being round as in shape! 260ish at 5'11

Edited by Havok 2014-12-29 9:07 PM
2014-12-29 11:47 AM
in reply to: Havok

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Havok First post on BT! I would like to join you guys if its still possible! I am currently on lunch break so I will complete my bio later tonight at home. Bio: NAME: Michael STORY: FAMILY STATUS: Married w/2 dogs CURRENT TRAINING: THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: BODY COMPOSITION: Badly out of shape after graduating college a year ago, looking to drop the weight and start up a new sport.

Hi Michael! Great to have you. Welcome to BT and the Manatees!

LOL on the married with two dogs bit ... I always tease Janyne (jmkizer aka NyNy) about saying she's married with one dog, people usually marry other people ... here you are married with TWO dogs!

2014-12-29 11:50 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Fun with big T.I.T.S. !

For anyone who doesn't know ... that's Time In The Saddle.

It's really great to have you focused on cycling and sharing it here. Several of the Manatees do some pretty serious cycling but I think you're our only current dedicated biker. So far

2014-12-29 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you so much! You don't know how you just made my day!!

Looking so forward to this group!
2014-12-29 11:59 AM

User image

Hi folks here's the details...

NAME: Hi everybody, I’m Neil across the pond in England, looks a great group already, would love to be part of the gang if you’ll accept a Brit!

STORY: Started running about 10 years ago, a new years resolution which stuck! I progressed from 5ks through to marathons and then decided to give triathlon a go. I struggled with swimming (and still do), hadn’t done front crawl before, but managed a few sprints and have done 5 olympic distance triathlons now. I missed most of 2013 and 14 due to back problems which I still have to manage, so in that time gained my British Triathlon and British Cycling coaching qualifications and have coached children through to beginner adults since which has been great fun. I’m not doing much coaching at the moment as I am focussed on building my fitness back up as I turn 50 in March and have signed up for the UK 70.3 in June, my first long distance tri!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 daughters aged 16 and 13, cat called Pluto!

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting to build my running and cycling (mainly indoor at the moment), swimming is a bit of a problem at the moment due to my back but will start easing my way back into the pool in January.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: So far a 10 mile running Race in January and the UK70.3 in June

BODY COMPOSITION: No real goals and pretty lean, will hopefully get leaner as I pick up the training

I'm looking forward to being part of the group.

Cheers

Neil

2014-12-29 12:00 PM
in reply to: Neil65

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Alright! I made it over to the new thread on the second page.  Not bad!  Will do bio and all that soon.

2014-12-29 12:01 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I think this marks my two year anniversary with the pod.

2014-12-29 12:17 PM

User image

Seattle

I want in if the group would have me.  

NAME: Matt
STORY: 

I ran track and played football in high school and got really out of shape in college (5'7 and 190lbs).  After I started working I started training for a half marathon.  I lost about 10 lbs after 6 months of running and was frustrated in how slow I was losing weight.  During my half training I heard about this local triathlon that was a half mile swim, 40k bike, and 10k run.  The format sounded crazy to me, but I said out loud "one day I'm going to do that race!".  

After finishing a beginner tri training group program put on by a local running store I went on to finish the tri that got me interested and got hooked.  I have raced 5 seasons of triathlon and have gone from hoping to finish races to competing in my age group to shooting for overall podiums.  

Now that I finished my 5th season I've been looking for something different, so I've been in the process of converting to road racing.  I'm looking forward to seeing how my first season with that goes!

FAMILY STATUS:  I'm engaged and will be married in April.  My fiance has a two year old boy, so another reason I'm converting to road racing is due to having to cut back on training time a good bit. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm riding my bike A LOT!  I also have picked up mountain biking some to keep things fresh, which is a lot of fun!

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:   There is a TT/Crit in February that will be my debut in the road racing world.  Rouge Roubaix in March will be my first big race.  It's a 106 mile road race featuring terrible roads, lots of hills, and gravel!

BODY COMPOSITION:  I'm relatively happy with my body composition, but you can always be leaner, right?

Yo Matt, congrats on the engagement and welcome!

2014-12-29 12:19 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Neil65 Hi folks here's the details... NAME: Hi everybody, I’m Neil across the pond in England, looks a great group already, would love to be part of the gang if you’ll accept a Brit! STORY: Started running about 10 years ago, a new years resolution which stuck! I progressed from 5ks through to marathons and then decided to give triathlon a go. I struggled with swimming (and still do), hadn’t done front crawl before, but managed a few sprints and have done 5 olympic distance triathlons now. I missed most of 2013 and 14 due to back problems which I still have to manage, so in that time gained my British Triathlon and British Cycling coaching qualifications and have coached children through to beginner adults since which has been great fun. I’m not doing much coaching at the moment as I am focussed on building my fitness back up as I turn 50 in March and have signed up for the UK 70.3 in June, my first long distance tri! FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 daughters aged 16 and 13, cat called Pluto! CURRENT TRAINING: Starting to build my running and cycling (mainly indoor at the moment), swimming is a bit of a problem at the moment due to my back but will start easing my way back into the pool in January. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: So far a 10 mile running Race in January and the UK70.3 in June BODY COMPOSITION: No real goals and pretty lean, will hopefully get leaner as I pick up the training I'm looking forward to being part of the group. Cheers Neil

Welcome, Neil! Happy this group is gaining even more international momentum! 

2014-12-29 12:20 PM

User image

Seattle

Welcome, Amy!

It will be exciting to see you get back into tri! 

2014-12-29 12:21 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Neil65 Hi folks here's the details... NAME: Hi everybody, I’m Neil across the pond in England, looks a great group already, would love to be part of the gang if you’ll accept a Brit! STORY: Started running about 10 years ago, a new years resolution which stuck! I progressed from 5ks through to marathons and then decided to give triathlon a go. I struggled with swimming (and still do), hadn’t done front crawl before, but managed a few sprints and have done 5 olympic distance triathlons now. I missed most of 2013 and 14 due to back problems which I still have to manage, so in that time gained my British Triathlon and British Cycling coaching qualifications and have coached children through to beginner adults since which has been great fun. I’m not doing much coaching at the moment as I am focussed on building my fitness back up as I turn 50 in March and have signed up for the UK 70.3 in June, my first long distance tri! FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 daughters aged 16 and 13, cat called Pluto! CURRENT TRAINING: Starting to build my running and cycling (mainly indoor at the moment), swimming is a bit of a problem at the moment due to my back but will start easing my way back into the pool in January. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: So far a 10 mile running Race in January and the UK70.3 in June BODY COMPOSITION: No real goals and pretty lean, will hopefully get leaner as I pick up the training I'm looking forward to being part of the group. Cheers Neil

Very impressive!

Welcome to the Manatees about being a Brit, well ... we already have a crazy Welshman so we reckon you should be quite manageable hope your back continues to build back well.

2014-12-29 12:25 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Alright! I made it over to the new thread on the second page.  Not bad!  Will do bio and all that soon.

Welcome back, Tom!  How's the knee?

2014-12-29 12:28 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Welcome Michael and Neil! 

Michael, we have another Michael too.  He's in Alabama (I think) and drops in occasionally.  What state are you in so we can differentiate between the two of you?

Neil, Darren is another Manatee in your part of the world.  He lives in Wales.  He hasn't come over to the new thread yet, but I imagine he'll be here soon.

2014-12-29 12:33 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Okay, one more post and then I'll go back to "work".  There are a grand total of 4 people on my floor (out of a usual 40 or so) so it's pretty quiet.  ANYWAY....

To all the new Manatees (yay, lots of you!!), be sure you check out the first page of the thread for info about the Salty Manatee Month of Motivational Mayhem and let me know if you want to participate and if you want a daily goal other than the standard 10 min.  Also, be sure to make your workout log accessible so I can check your progress and include it in the weekly report.  (BTW, the "Salty" in the name is Adrienne's nickname, and she's the one first issued the challenge.  We had to give her credit somehow.)

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54113 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.