BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-20 2:00 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by melbo55

Hey, kids!  Lots of good stuff this week: new bike, less PT restrictions, upcoming resolutions to a nasty situation, good races, good vacations, and fun upcoming races.  Dear Yanti and Lisa dog need some TLC.  (((hugs for you both!)))

Quick update on my world: Dad has been pretty good overall this week (thankfully!), my tooth extraction at the oral surgeon went very smoothly on Wed., kicking off my life as a pirate, but now my dear, precious Coco has an infected tooth/puffy face.  She goes to the vet shortly (EFP is taking her, he's off today), so I forsee some antibiotics and then probably surgery after the infection clears up.  Ah, when it rains it pours. 

The stoopid endodontist nailed me with a $407 bill that I wasn't expecting.  They quoted $142 out of pocket, which I paid the day of the 'services' (I use that term loosely because they didn't do much, IMO), then they sent me this new bill.  I need to call them, I suppose, to try to find out the discrepancy in cost, but I keep putting it off because I'm imagining it not going the way I want it to and don't feel like arguing the point with them (but I will, eventually).

Also, it's crazy cold here today.  My car read -1*F on the way to the pool and the Weather Channel reported that with the wind chill it was -24*F.  Winter: please take your [snow]ball and go home.  I live in PA, not Siberia.  I think we are supposed to get a little reprieve from the cold on Sunday.

Remind me never to visit PA in winter. Brrrrrr. Glad your Dad is on the mend.

I agree with Big D! That is cold.

My run this morning was in the coldest we've had yet and probably as cold as I'll see for some time. 34* F. I actually had some mental images of a few of the pics I've seen from some of you that encouraged me to get out the door. I kept thinking "if you can deal with that crud, then I can sure deal with this."

Enjoy the weekend!

Chris, that's about 45* higher than it was here this morning.

Yowza, tha's COLD! In the winter of 98/99 there were double digit snow storms and single digit temps on Long Island, where we lived. I returned to Florida in August of 1999. All of you might want to start looking 

South is the last direction I'd look.

2015-02-20 2:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

News of the Weird report:

• For all of you afflicted with Frozen-obsessed young'uns, Elsa appears to be in a bit of trouble.
  • Deadly bra holster.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Edited by laffinrock 2015-02-20 2:13 PM
2015-02-20 3:12 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

OK Pod, Q&A time.

About to hit the button and register for a 70.3 end of April in Houston.  Would be a tune up for end of June triple Oly.  Also never been to Houston for a weekend, so might take the family.

Only question is whether a HIM on about a total of a 3 month decent build (with OK but not great base) is... well, really is it just NOT stoopid.  Doesn't have to be a smart idea (I need a race!), but just can't be a really bad one, you know? 

I still have a sore Achilles (slowly improving with PT and not limiting in terms of training, except staying away from high intensity intervals - which, though not ideal, is OK for my HIM training where I stay at 5-10k pace or below even for short intervals generally).

Logs are open.  Appreciate any thoughts (and the suspected chorus of either DOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! or STOOOOOOOPID!  depending).

Matt

2015-02-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

OK Pod, Q&A time.

About to hit the button and register for a 70.3 end of April in Houston.  Would be a tune up for end of June triple Oly.  Also never been to Houston for a weekend, so might take the family.

Only question is whether a HIM on about a total of a 3 month decent build (with OK but not great base) is... well, really is it just NOT stoopid.  Doesn't have to be a smart idea (I need a race!), but just can't be a really bad one, you know? 

I still have a sore Achilles (slowly improving with PT and not limiting in terms of training, except staying away from high intensity intervals - which, though not ideal, is OK for my HIM training where I stay at 5-10k pace or below even for short intervals generally).

Logs are open.  Appreciate any thoughts (and the suspected chorus of either DOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! or STOOOOOOOPID!  depending).

Matt

I give you a tentative DOOO EEEET and also a question or so: which is more important to you, getting the HIM in for a tune-up or being successful in the triple (?!) Oly?  Do you expect to actually race the HIM or just complete it to get a feel of the distance/time on feet/race day feel/etc.?  My hesitation is because Achilles injuries can be a slow recovery and easily re-aggravated, which could be a concern if you start upping distances too quickly.

2015-02-20 3:44 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by laffinrock

News of the Weird report:

• For all of you afflicted with Frozen-obsessed young'uns, Elsa appears to be in a bit of trouble.
  • Deadly bra holster.

You just can't make this stuff up.

The Elsa thing is kind of funny.  The bra holster - well, that I'm just going to shake my head at for various reasons.

2015-02-20 5:02 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

OK Pod, Q&A time.

Matt

I'd have to vote for a DOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!  Your February training looks very solid and I wouldn't think you would have to do much ramp up in terms of volume or intensity to have a pretty good day.  If you are comfortable with how things are going and you are not aggravating the achilles at all just keep doing what you're doing. 

2015-02-20 5:17 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by popsracer

OK Pod, Q&A time.

Matt

I'd have to vote for a DOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!  Your February training looks very solid and I wouldn't think you would have to do much ramp up in terms of volume or intensity to have a pretty good day.  If you are comfortable with how things are going and you are not aggravating the achilles at all just keep doing what you're doing. 

I'm no expert on volumes needed for a HIM v. a triple Oly, but Steve's advice makes sense to me.  I'll jump on the bandwagon and say DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEET as long as you think your Achilles truly won't be an issue.  Plus you could meet Jonathan TX.  He's doing that HIM too.  Manatee Meet-up!!

2015-02-20 7:31 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

GO POPS!!!
GO KATIEFROG!!!
GO GOLFIE!!!
GO SALTY!!!

GO MR. YANTI (KINGSLEY)!!! He's about 3km into the 20km Rottnest Channel Swim (his 7th) in pretty tough conditions (not the worst, but tough).

Disabled List
Shorter. Not longer PLZ!!!!! My goal for the rest of the year is to be on the racing list more often than the disabled ... is it possible for Yanti HeadtoToe? Stay tuned! Blah

2015-02-21 6:32 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Heading out a bit for my first of two "races" this weekend...5K this morning.

Fortunately, the arctice Augusta, GA freeze was in town long enough to not allow my 8th graders go on yesterday's field trip (temps in the 20s and most of my kidlets show up for school in shorts and t-shirts), but today's high is 50 and tomorrow's is 60.

Not really "feeling" this morning's race, and since it's an untimed 'fun' 5K, will likely hang with my niece and support her (she's 15 and running her 3rd 5K after starting running in November). Tomorrow's 5K will be much warmer, but rain is expected. I really don't like running in the rain.

Oh well...time to soldier on.
2015-02-21 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

OK Pod, Q&A time.

Matt

Matt, I thought about this a bit after reading the question and my concern for you is based on the fact that you are a fan of "RACING". You state that it would be a tune up. If so, then have fun and tune well. My caution for you is not to overdo it, which you may have done in the past. Train smart and careful from here, treat your Achilles with care and don't overrace and I'd think you'll be fine. Overrace and the tripleO is out of the question due to injury. 

Keep the end goal in mind!

2015-02-21 11:11 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

OK Pod, Q&A time.

Matt

Matt, I thought about this a bit after reading the question and my concern for you is based on the fact that you are a fan of "RACING". You state that it would be a tune up. If so, then have fun and tune well. My caution for you is not to overdo it, which you may have done in the past. Train smart and careful from here, treat your Achilles with care and don't overrace and I'd think you'll be fine. Overrace and the tripleO is out of the question due to injury. 

Keep the end goal in mind!

That might be a more important question to address than other aspects.

2015-02-21 12:40 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

So...an interesting little 5K this morning.

First, as it was untimed and because I'm running a 10K tomorrow, I decided to be 'good family' and hang back with my sister and her 15-year-old daughter (my niece). My niece is most definitely in that hormonal angst ridden teenage phase, and she's been a pretty good sport about starting running this past fall. However, she announced quite clearly about 1/2 mile in that "This WILL be my last race." Okay, whatever...2.6 miles to go.

At mile 1, there was a 0.6 mile loop that went into a beautiful little neighborhood. Very scenic, but also pretty hilly. Well, my niece about had a conniption fit halfway up one of the little hills, and started to rant, "This is SO STUPID. I'm quitting and going back to the car." Fortunately, between us and the car was a huge lake, and the only way to get back to the car was to follow the run route, so cheerio, carry on.

Mile 1.5, she's had enough. "THIS IS CRAP!" Her mom tries to push her gently. I turn back, jog beside her trying to help her tell that voice in her head to just shut it, but she's having none of it. Her mom finally grabs her hand and she either has to jog slowly with us, or be dragged. Keep in mind, we're running 11+ minute miles, so it's not like we're trying to bust tail around the track, and she's been running 10:30/pace 3 mile runs for the past few months...she's just having a really bad run day.

Finally, I get behind her and start talking about all the things that are worse than running: Writing 5 paragraph essays, picking up dog poop, shoving sharpened #2 pencils into your eyes, your brother's breath, etc. She finally lightened up and started jogging again.

mile 2.5...we can see the baseball stadium where the finish line is located (you actually had to stomp on home plate to finish), BUT to get there, you have to circle around the stadium, go through a parking lot and enter from the opposite side. She's complaining and moaning the whole time, "HOW MUCH FARTHER DO WE HAVE TO GOOOOOO TO FINISH THIS STUPID THING??????"

Then, we make the turn into the baseball stadium and enter into right field where we see the Clemson University baseball team warming up for their 11:00 game. My 15 year old NIECE, who happens to be wearing a Clemon sweatshirt, immediately cheers right up. We have to run around the warning track in the outfield and then down the 3rd baseline to home plate. Damned if that girl doesn't start sprinting around the outfield and ends up running the final 1/10 of a mile in less than 40 seconds.

Afterwards, we're sitting in the bleachers drinking water, eating oranges and watching the baseball players. It's warmed up to the mid 40s at this point and she says, "That was the best run ever."

(Palm to face)

Teenagers.
2015-02-21 12:45 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Also...with regards to a non-niece question...

Does anyone here use the Scosche Rhythm + heart rate monitor? I've totally given up on traditional chest strap monitors (too many battle scars and none of the suggested fixes have helped one bit...once I run more than 8 miles, I cut the hell out of myself with every chest strap I've tried.

Anyone, DC Rainmaker gave a pretty solid review to this one: http://www.scosche.com/rhythm-plusand was interested in any feedback someone who actually uses it had.

2015-02-21 12:47 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by glfprncs So...an interesting little 5K this morning. First, as it was untimed and because I'm running a 10K tomorrow, I decided to be 'good family' and hang back with my sister and her 15-year-old daughter (my niece). My niece is most definitely in that hormonal angst ridden teenage phase, and she's been a pretty good sport about starting running this past fall. However, she announced quite clearly about 1/2 mile in that "This WILL be my last race." Okay, whatever...2.6 miles to go. At mile 1, there was a 0.6 mile loop that went into a beautiful little neighborhood. Very scenic, but also pretty hilly. Well, my niece about had a conniption fit halfway up one of the little hills, and started to rant, "This is SO STUPID. I'm quitting and going back to the car." Fortunately, between us and the car was a huge lake, and the only way to get back to the car was to follow the run route, so cheerio, carry on. Mile 1.5, she's had enough. "THIS IS CRAP!" Her mom tries to push her gently. I turn back, jog beside her trying to help her tell that voice in her head to just shut it, but she's having none of it. Her mom finally grabs her hand and she either has to jog slowly with us, or be dragged. Keep in mind, we're running 11+ minute miles, so it's not like we're trying to bust tail around the track, and she's been running 10:30/pace 3 mile runs for the past few months...she's just having a really bad run day. Finally, I get behind her and start talking about all the things that are worse than running: Writing 5 paragraph essays, picking up dog poop, shoving sharpened #2 pencils into your eyes, your brother's breath, etc. She finally lightened up and started jogging again. mile 2.5...we can see the baseball stadium where the finish line is located (you actually had to stomp on home plate to finish), BUT to get there, you have to circle around the stadium, go through a parking lot and enter from the opposite side. She's complaining and moaning the whole time, "HOW MUCH FARTHER DO WE HAVE TO GOOOOOO TO FINISH THIS STUPID THING??????" Then, we make the turn into the baseball stadium and enter into right field where we see the Clemson University baseball team warming up for their 11:00 game. My 15 year old NIECE, who happens to be wearing a Clemon sweatshirt, immediately cheers right up. We have to run around the warning track in the outfield and then down the 3rd baseline to home plate. Damned if that girl doesn't start sprinting around the outfield and ends up running the final 1/10 of a mile in less than 40 seconds. Afterwards, we're sitting in the bleachers drinking water, eating oranges and watching the baseball players. It's warmed up to the mid 40s at this point and she says, "That was the best run ever." (Palm to face) Teenagers.

Sounds like "fun."  You win today's award for Best Aunt Ever (even if your niece doesn't realize it).  Too bad that earlier in the run, she didn't realize that the baseball team would be there.  That might have made her a little more interested in finishing.  Oh well.  At least you, her mom, and the Clemson baseball team got her over the finish line.  Good job, Nancy!

2015-02-21 12:53 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by glfprncs So...an interesting little 5K this morning. First, as it was untimed and because I'm running a 10K tomorrow, I decided to be 'good family' and hang back with my sister and her 15-year-old daughter (my niece). My niece is most definitely in that hormonal angst ridden teenage phase, and she's been a pretty good sport about starting running this past fall. However, she announced quite clearly about 1/2 mile in that "This WILL be my last race." Okay, whatever...2.6 miles to go. At mile 1, there was a 0.6 mile loop that went into a beautiful little neighborhood. Very scenic, but also pretty hilly. Well, my niece about had a conniption fit halfway up one of the little hills, and started to rant, "This is SO STUPID. I'm quitting and going back to the car." Fortunately, between us and the car was a huge lake, and the only way to get back to the car was to follow the run route, so cheerio, carry on. Mile 1.5, she's had enough. "THIS IS CRAP!" Her mom tries to push her gently. I turn back, jog beside her trying to help her tell that voice in her head to just shut it, but she's having none of it. Her mom finally grabs her hand and she either has to jog slowly with us, or be dragged. Keep in mind, we're running 11+ minute miles, so it's not like we're trying to bust tail around the track, and she's been running 10:30/pace 3 mile runs for the past few months...she's just having a really bad run day. Finally, I get behind her and start talking about all the things that are worse than running: Writing 5 paragraph essays, picking up dog poop, shoving sharpened #2 pencils into your eyes, your brother's breath, etc. She finally lightened up and started jogging again. mile 2.5...we can see the baseball stadium where the finish line is located (you actually had to stomp on home plate to finish), BUT to get there, you have to circle around the stadium, go through a parking lot and enter from the opposite side. She's complaining and moaning the whole time, "HOW MUCH FARTHER DO WE HAVE TO GOOOOOO TO FINISH THIS STUPID THING??????" Then, we make the turn into the baseball stadium and enter into right field where we see the Clemson University baseball team warming up for their 11:00 game. My 15 year old NIECE, who happens to be wearing a Clemon sweatshirt, immediately cheers right up. We have to run around the warning track in the outfield and then down the 3rd baseline to home plate. Damned if that girl doesn't start sprinting around the outfield and ends up running the final 1/10 of a mile in less than 40 seconds. Afterwards, we're sitting in the bleachers drinking water, eating oranges and watching the baseball players. It's warmed up to the mid 40s at this point and she says, "That was the best run ever." (Palm to face) Teenagers.

Those thoughts have happened to a lot of us at some point during various races. Good job keeping everyone going!

2015-02-21 1:47 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Heck yeah those thoughts enter our minds! In fact, I've only recently been able to figure out how to best silence the voices in my head that say the negative things.

As ticked off as she was at the time, she did admit afterwards that my listing of "things worse than running" really did help take her mind off the fact that the running part really did suck at the moment. She said the best one when I said that "squeezing your dog's anal glands" was worse than running.

Perhaps having help pushing through something that was really uncomfortable made an impact. You never know.

2015-02-21 3:35 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by glfprncs Heck yeah those thoughts enter our minds! In fact, I've only recently been able to figure out how to best silence the voices in my head that say the negative things. As ticked off as she was at the time, she did admit afterwards that my listing of "things worse than running" really did help take her mind off the fact that the running part really did suck at the moment. She said the best one when I said that "squeezing your dog's anal glands" was worse than running. Perhaps having help pushing through something that was really uncomfortable made an impact. You never know.

I'll have to remember that one the next time I don't feel like doing a workout!  Too funny.

2015-02-21 5:15 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

OK Pod, Q&A time.

Matt

I have zero experience, so I can't offer any advice (sorry). But I'm curious what race you're looking at? I'm doing the 70.3 in Galveston April 26 so I think you should do that one instead.
2015-02-21 5:43 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Experienced a whole new level of pain and suffering today.  Toughest run of my life.  I did good but it was brutal. And now after a few beers I can say it was kind of fun.  Race report later.

2015-02-21 6:10 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Experienced a whole new level of pain and suffering today.  Toughest run of my life.  I did good but it was brutal. And now after a few beers I can say it was kind of fun.  Race report later.

Way to go! I can't even imagine!
2015-02-21 7:01 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Glad you survived to tell the tale!  Looking forward to reading about it.

2015-02-21 10:48 PM

User image

Master

This is me in every race I have ever done.  Good job, Auntie

2015-02-21 10:48 PM

User image

Master

Great work Steve. Can't wait to read about it.

2015-02-22 9:23 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Hmm, haven't specifically trained in any of the disciplines for the last month.    Did do a bit of working out with hand weights most every day.  Not weight lifting, per se.   I needed a break.  PTSD demons and all that.  Reassessed coping mechanisms and this morning I am back in the saddle again.   Did an hour's ride on the trainer.   Couldn't get outside with this dratted weather.      Lovely, lovely are endorphins.    Time to clean up and then surprise Dr. Shortstop with a brunch of mimosas, strawberries, and cream.     One must eat healthily even when one is splurging....

Time to get back in the game and sign up for some races.     Huff 'n'  Puff on the Bluff is in a few weeks.   Don't plan to run a record, so will do it at a leisurely pace.   Will run ~2 or ~3 miles a day to get ready for it.   It's a 15K by the way.

How's tricks, y'all?

2015-02-22 10:07 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Just in from this mornings very wet 10K and while I'm a smidge disappointed that I didn't finish within my goal time (I missed it by 35 seconds), I'm still ridiculously happy with my overall race.

The weather was not very enjoyable. Steady rain started 15 minutes before the start and continued all morning. Fortunately, it was 30 degrees WARMER than it was on Friday morning, so temps were in the upper 40s.

Every mile (except mile 3 which included the steep 3/4 mile climb up Walton Way hill) was faster than the previous mile and I had a very solid negative split. Miles 4, 5 and 6 were run in 9:17, 9:11 and 9:10, so I'm super pleased with that pace, particularly at the end of 6 miles.

It's nice to see that my commitment to training and nutrition is starting to show in my run. I can honestly say that this is the fittest I've felt while running during my entire 'career' as a runner. I'm glad I made the choice to pursue shorter races and triathlon this year so that I could push the pace and base fitness rather than always struggling to build.

On a side note, one of the boys I taught last year when he was in the 8th grade saw me at the start of the 10K and he started in the corral ahead of me. I caught up with him at mile 5.5 when he was walking and helped him push through that voice in his head, too. He finished strong just ahead of me. I even got a big hug at the end.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54102 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.