BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2014-12-18 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed

Name: Dominion / Chris

Story:

This will the second season for my Mentor Group.  I'll be turning 44 next month and starting my 4th season racing triathlon.  2014 has been a good year for me, the highlights being racing in the Age Group National Championship in Milwaukee, and making my Age Group podium in 10 out of 11 overall races for the year. I'm committed to a healthy and active lifestyle and working to achieve the goals I have set for myself in this sport.  

I'm expanding the focus of the mentor group this time around to include the 70.3 distance as that is my focus of training for this season.  It's been said that the 70.3 distance shares much more DNA with Olympic distance racing than it does with 140.6, so we'll let the long course athletes do their thing and we'll focus on the short and middle distance racing and training.

I'm excited about the upcoming season and getting anxious to get started.  I've recently started a multi-sport coaching service and been asked to manage and coordinate a team for our local tri-shop.  So it should be a busy and challenging 2015!

2015 Races:

The specifics of my schedule hasn't been decided on just yet, but I know it will include a HM in February, several Olympic distance triathlons, a couple of sprints, and at least one 70.3.  

What will make me a good mentor:

I have a true passion for this sport and for a healthy and active lifestyle.  I am willing and interested in helping anyone looking to get into triathlon or those already competing who want to step their game up and be more competitive.    Along with my racing experience, I am a Certified Fitness Trainer.  I don't claim to know it all, but I feel I have been doing this long enough and well enough to be able to answer questions and help others improve in the sport, get started in the sport, or just improve in the areas of health and fitness.

I hope to have many of our core members return and look forward to some new faces as well!  

Edited by Dominion 2015-01-20 8:55 PM

2014-12-31 12:09 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group
I'm in! Training for my first Olympic distance tri this year. Let the training begin!
2014-12-31 11:57 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

In for another season.
Here are my totals for December and 2014.

My December totals
SWIM 58m 07s - 3200.00 Yd
BIKE 5h 26m 40s - 95.21 Mi
RUN 1h 39m 37s - 12.38 Mi

Feels like I haven't been doing anything, but seeing it like this I don't feel as bad. I really the running due to some hip and foot problems that I think I have sorted out.

In 2014
SWIM 77.5 M
BIKE 1120 Mi
RUN 476 MI

Time to get working. Still need to find my first race. When are you guys racing? I'm trying to workout a calender now.

Nate
2015-01-01 7:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: Monthly totals
Here are my (weak) December totals.

Swim:1450 meters
Bike:1h 35m 50s - no idea on distance since most of this was on a trainer
Run:1h 36m 60s - 11.1 Mi

I've got some road races on my calendar already. A 3-race 5K series on March 7th, 8th, and 21st. I haven't signed up yet, but I'm planning on running a 10K in early June (same one I ran last year). My goal race this year is an Olympic tri on August 10th. I'll probably run at least one sprint tri before that, maybe in June and/or July sometime just to get a little competition under my belt.

Edited by rjchilds8 2015-01-01 7:37 AM
2015-01-01 6:05 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Monthly totals

Great to have you guys back for another round!  Not going to post my December totals as all I did was run a little and gain a few pounds.  

Pumped and motivated for 2015 now that it is finally here.  Ready to get back into a training routine and finish out the race calendar for the season.

2015-01-02 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

So what are the big plans for 2015?  

Any big races?  Training goals? What do you want to accomplish in 2015 that you didn't last year?

2015-01-02 2:17 PM

User image

Here my Bio (I cheeted and copied form spring but updated some.

Name: Nate

Story: I ran track and cross country in high school and college. Got started because a back injury prevented me from playing football, and found I really liked racing. My favorite events were the 4x400 and the 800m. I continued running after college but stopped when I entered medical school, but stayed active. I didn't do much physical activity during surgical residency, or my critical care fellowship. I have been in practice now for almost 3 years. I started working out in August of 213. I was significantly heavier than in college (215lbs up from 170lbs). I started by biking and mixed a little swimming in for variation. I didn't run at first because I was afraid of injury. By November I had started doing all three at a low level, and decided one day to look in to triathlon as a training goal. Had no idea about the huge tri community out there, and was amazed to find there were a lot of races around. Last year I did 4 sprint tri's and had lots of fun.

I got a bit injured in the fall that caused me to take some time off, but I am working my way back. Hope to improve on the bike, and run this year.

I hope to do a sprint every month or so from March to September. May make a go at an Oly. Work and family may limit this a little. I would like to get a top three in my age group this year. My best last season was 4th in age group.

Family: I am married and have three children (6, 2, and 4 months). Races are hard because I work every other weekend and I like the family to be there.

This year races: (I haven't finalize)
3/28 Sampson County supersprint
4/12 Arlington Sprint
5/3 White Lake Sprint or 5/16 Carolina Beach Double
6/13 3 Little Pigs
7/25 Washington Sprint
9/12 OBX oly

Goals: Age group podium. Improve fitness. Avoid injury. Be a roll model for the kids. Have fun
2015-01-02 9:26 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

That's awesome Nate. I didn't realize that you ran in college.  You have the potential to be a Beast!  AG podiums this year for sure!!

2015-01-03 12:37 PM

User image

Regular
Chris,

I would like to join your group. I think we have common goals. I will post my bio later!

Looking forward,
Todd

PS: You must have just finished ahead of me at AG Nationals in Milwaukee. I finished at 2:28 and in the same age group :-)
2015-01-03 1:32 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Hi Todd!

Welcome to the group.  I really enjoyed that race in Milwaukee.  The level of competition was unbelievable.  I just looked back at the results, it looks like we were pretty close all day.  You out swam me by a couple of minutes, and I out biked you by a few, then we ran about the same.

Great to have you onboard!

2015-01-03 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
Bio:

STORY: This will be the start of my fourth full year of triathlon. I did my first sprint in the summer of 2011 and was hooked! I have completed about 10 sprints; 3 olympics, and 1 HIM. I also volunteer for many Dare2Tri races guiding parathletes through triathlons. I am mostly self-trained and coached, but I take all the advise I can get from BT, podcasts, and books. My best sport is swimming (albeit I am not a great swimmer) followed by running. I struggle on the bike; likely because of inexperience, weight, and equipment. But, I will be working on my bike extensively over the winter. I turned the big 40 last year, but I feel much better than I did when I was 30. Partly due to triathlon and partly do to better nutrition and a few life changes. I have been sober for 6 1/2 years. Last drink was on July 4th of 2008.

FAMILY STATUS: Wonderful new GF in my life ~ 3 months. No kids, no pets ;-)

CURRENT TRAINING: I took most of December off. I have been battling recurring calf injuries and have consulted some professionals. On January 1, I committed myself to do 60 minutes of training at least 6 days a week. Mostly working on building a base and strengthening/stretching/rehabing my calves. I will gradually increase my run and bike training up until March or so; then I will begin my 20 week half-iron plan.

2015 RACES: I will be doing Steelhead HIM in August and Lake Geneva Sprint in September. I may do the ITU race in Chicago as well. I will likely sprinkle another sprint or two; 5ks, and a half marathon. I will also be doing Dare2tri events this year!

WEIGHTLOSS: Six years ago I was pushing 250 pounds. When I got sober in 2008, I started getting back in shape and lost weight fairly rapidly. Prior to starting triathlon in 2011, I was about 220. Last year I raced at 184 I still fight the weight rollercoaster. I can vary by as much as 20 lbs within a year. This is something I need to change. I would like to get down to 175 for racing this year. I feel this is doable.

Here is to a successful and injury free 2015 to all!

Looking forward,

Todd

2015-01-03 9:42 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
I'll bite.

NAME: FourteenKittens / Dennis

STORY: While I played some organized sports in high school and college (volleyball and baseball), and always loved swimming, I'd never been a runner or cyclist. Then I started working at a company where everyone went running together on their lunch break, and I felt fat and left out. I'd always thought triathlons sounded fun, so I found a plan online and worked up to my first sprint in 2010; came in dead last in my age group. Fast forward 5 years, and I've slowly been moving up in the rankings, setting new PRs every year. At this point I tend to finish around the 60th percentile in the swim, 50th in the bike, and 40th in the run. Still not crushing it, but it's progress. Unfortunately, this year I move up to the dreaded 35-40 AG, so I expect to drop a few places. Where else do people get more competitive as they age?

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids (one 4 years, the other 4 months). Also a dog, who despite my best efforts is a terrible running partner - he wants to stop and sniff/pee on everything.

CURRENT TRAINING: Ummm...about that. Between the job, the commute, and the kids, I'm pretty time crunched. I do most of my running during my lunch break, but that means I have a time cap and can rarely fit in more than 2-2.5 miles. I could run about the same distance in the morning (and have in the past), but the bed has been winning that battle recently. A few weeks ago I finally signed up for TrainerRoad and have been fitting in rides at night after the kids are in bed, and I'm LOVING it. I'm working through the Sweet Spot Base plan right now, which is 3.5 hours per week. The swim, I hate to say, I completely ignore. Even though my gym has a pool, logistically it doesn't work for me to use it on any regular schedule. So I focus on the other two disciplines and accept that it'll be a limiting factor. All that said, 4 months ago my son was born and I got promotion at work, and everything fell off the rails. Training volume has plummeted, diet is out the window, and I'm up 15 pounds. So here's hoping for a turnaround in 2015.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 3 sprints, a couple of 5k road races.

2015 RACES: Despite running only 5 miles in December, I'm signed up for my first 5k of the year tomorrow morning. Probably not the best move from an injury prevention standpoint. Expect to do a few more 5k, and 3-4 sprints.

WEIGHTLOSS: Need to re-lose that 15 pounds I've gained since August, and another 5-10 besides.

GOALS: Given my time constraints, I realize I'm not going to be on the podium this year, nor am I going to race anything longer than a sprint, and that's fine. But I want to continue to improve and set new PRs, and to do that I need to make sure my training is as efficient as possible, and I need to focus on consistency. I do all my training solo, and especially these last few months it's been too easy to come up with some excuse not to do it at all. Hopefully a mentor group will help with some of that accountability. I'd also love to fit in some body-weight strength training, if I can figure out a few basic things I can do at home in the morning or after a run.
2015-01-04 8:18 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

I guess since we're starting a "new" group I might as well post my own story.

NAME: Randy Childs, Username = rjchilds8

STORY: I was never much of an athlete. I "played" football in high school, but at 5'-5" and 110 pounds as a senior I never saw much of the playing field. I wrestled one year (sophomore, in the 98 pound weight class), dislocated my collarbone and didn't go back. I eventually grew to 5'-10", but still only weighed 140 pounds. I focused most of my efforts on weight training, bulked up to 180, and was never much for running. Fast forward to age 42. My older brother took up running and suggested he, myself, and my younger brother train for a 5K and that began my running life. A few years of 5Ks, a 10K, and some obstacle course races later, my younger brother revealed he has always wanted to do a triathlon. I embraced the next challenge and decided to do it with him.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids (one 5 years, one 3 years). I think they're both going to be active kids and I hope to foster that attitude so that they are also active adults (something I never had). They both like to run on my treadmill and play sports. They've really taken a liking to the triathlons and we even do pretend triathlons in the house (some members may have seen my posts in the old groups with pics).

CURRENT TRAINING: Just now trying to get back on track after about 2 months off. My 5 year old just had her 5th birthday party , so it was a busy past couple of days. Hopefully, that is my last hurdle and I can get back into a good rhythm. With winter in New England, I have to do the vast majority of my training indoors. Couple that with 2 young kids, and I do most of my training at night in my basement. I have a good treadmill and bought an indoor bike trainer for this year. It's about a 20 minute drive to the pool, but I'll do my best to get there 1-2 times a week during the winter.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2 sprint tris, 2 5Ks, one 10K, and a Tough Mudder (does that count? it's over 10 miles. :-)

2015 RACES: I don't have all of this planned out, a lot of it will be done on a whim. I have signed up for a 3-race 5K series. I'll do at least one, if not two, 10Ks. I'll probably try to squeeze in a sprint tri in mid-summer and then my goal race is an Olympic tri in August.

WEIGHTLOSS: I don't really make this a goal, it's more of a by-product of my training. I like food and love to cook and eat it! So I don't really limit my appetite too much. As long as I do my training and meet those goals, I won't worry about my weight. I got close to 190 at the peak of my training last year, which felt great, but wasn't my main goal.

GOALS: My big goal this year is to complete an Olympic tri. Last year was my first year in triathlon, so finishing was my only goal and my brother and I chose a sprint for obvious reasons. I feel like I had a respectable time, which was better than my goal time. I'm not sure how my Oly training will go, so I'm not ready to set a goal time for that yet. Finishing is the most important aspect, but my competitive side won't let me set that as my only goal! One other goal I have this year would be to run a sub-25:00 5K. I set my PR in 2014 with a time of 25:23 and I'd like to lower that number.
2015-01-04 10:15 AM
in reply to: #5075698

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Race #1 of 2015 in the bag! Did a local charity 5K this morning. Time was about 2min/mi slower than over the summer, but I felt like my limiter was my knees, and not my fitness (they get angry when I get heavy). So I've got something to work on for the next few months.
2015-01-04 1:43 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Welcome to the Group Dennis! 

Nice job on the 5k, don't worry about being a couple minutes slower than back in the summer.  I think most of us are a little bit slower and a few pounds heavier this time of year.  But hey, that's what January is for...recommitting to the sport and lifestyle we love.  

Consistency is key, even that 2.5 miles at lunch is way better than doing nothing.  Maybe work toward  getting in that 2.5 for 3 days a week and then put in a 5 miler on the weekend.  

2015-01-04 7:08 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group - Open
Here my Bio (I cheeted and copied form someone else)

Name: Priscilla

Story: I ran track and swam in high school. Got started with triathlon bug with Team in training in 2006 and found I really liked triathlons. My favorite events are the fundraising 5k I continued running and biking after TNT but stopped when I went back to school to get my masters. Over the last year my physical activity took a slump with only time for 5k. Now that I have graduated in November I decided I want to complete a Half iron. I orignaily wanted to complete it before I turned 40, but I am settling for 41. I started working out really last week every day with one day off. I am 10 lbs heavier than I was in 2006 triathlon. I started with swimming focus workouts this week as I have been running and biking, but not swimming in years.

I work 12 hour night shift as a nurse. I would like to get through the half iron without injury.

Family: I am married and have three kittens. Races are hard because I work almost every weekend and like my husband to be there.

This year races:

March 16, 2015 California Classic Half Marathon
April 11, 2015 Millerton Lake Triathlon-Olympic
May 10, 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend
7/4/15 4th of july run
July 25, 2015 Barbs 1/2 Iron man
  • ...other not confirmed yet

• Goals: Improve fitness. Avoid injury. Be a roll model for my nieces & nephews & family & friends. Have fun

2015-01-04 7:51 PM

User image

Hello! So this is my first go at triathlons so I thought this mentor stuff might be a good idea ??. I did some running in highschool( on my own) and a couple of years ago started to do some races (I am currently 33yo). I've done 5k (my least favorite distance) all the way to 50 k. I got into cycling this past summer and did a 45 mile bike race. I heard some people talking about triathlons and thought that it was a logical next move for me. I am signed up for an Olympic distance this June and a half distance this September. I have a friend who has done many tris, including Several IMs, who is helping me with a training plan but I probably need all the help I can get. I started swimming 4 or 5 months ago very sporadically but I am trying to get more consistent with it. I have gone from barely being able to swim 6 pool lengths to swimming the 1.2 distance. However, that took me 1 hour and I need a lot of help in this area. Anyway, not married, have a boyfriend ( he is currently trying to get into competitive cycling)and a dog and work about 40-60 hours a week. I am currently training about 6-7 hours a week. Anyway, hope to join this group and get some help/support. Thanks!
    2015-01-05 2:05 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
    Ha ha! I was still hanging out in the old group; I didn't realize this one was active yet.

December totals
    S: 25,260 yards
    B: 100.05 miles
    R: 37.95 miles
    Strength Training: 37h 20m
    Cross-Country Skiing: 8.5 miles

2014 Totals
    S: 83.2 miles
    B: 1,265.75 miles
    R: 283.9 miles

Pounds lost: 99
    Sizes dropped: 6

I added a few extra swim sessions in December because it was swim month for the USAT National Challenge Competition. I finished the month being one of the top five swimmers for Team USAT (the team comprised of triathlon club "orphans"). This month is bike month, and although I have an indoor trainer now, I find it incredibly tedious, so I don't expect to be one of the top five bikers.

This is my second year competing in triathlons. I completed four in 2014; did great in two, and survived two. In my first year, I learned how to swim and went from struggling to swim two pool lengths freestyle, to regularly swimming 1800-2000 yards freestyle without stopping. I've also gone from walking a 26-minute mile to running a 12-minute mile, although that is not a sustained speed. My bike speeds really haven't improved much, and I'm not sure why.

I have no background in athletics, unless high school spirit team counts. I'm pretty mediocre at just about everything, but that doesn't stop me from trying my hardest or from having fun. I'm in the 50-54 age group, also the Athena division. Goals for 2015 are to get faster, get faster, and get faster. Oh, and get faster. I am planning to compete in seven triathlons in 2015, including an indoor event at the end of February. I'm hoping to do my first Olympic in August, but it all depends on how physical therapy goes. I have severe osteo arthritis in my left knee and severe bursitis in both hips, particularly my right. This only bothers me when I run, and hopefully, PT will help. The test will be the Bloomsday 12K Run in Spokane in May. If I can survive that (note the word is just "survive"), then I'll do the Olympic distance in August. If I end up hailing a taxi--or an ambulance--then I'll just stick to sprints.

No family, just a day job and a cat who likes to chew on my arm when I'm on my trainer. I've cut back on my volunteer commitments to focus on my training and currently spend about 3-4 hours a day. Strength training is a big part of that. I think it's making a difference; time will tell. It has certainly improved my endurance in the pool, although it hasn't impacted my speed.

One of my really cool new toys that I'd wish I'd bought a long time ago is my new Timex Ironman GPS watch. I wear it now when I run, ride my bike (outside), and cross country ski. It's pretty accurate and tracks my mileage and time and also shows my current speed, although it's not always easy to check when I'm skiing or riding my bike. I think it will give me helpful feedback when running 5K races.

Cassandra aka "burner2" (I'm a triathlete and a burner, too--a Burning Man participant)
    2015-01-05 2:28 PM

User image

Hi please can I be in? I'm Maria, I'm 37 from the UK and a mum - I mean mom . I have a dog who goes running with me. I have wanted to do a triathlon for years but I keep stumbling. I crashed my bike and injured my spine 3 years ago, I now have 2 bulging discs, and I also have fibromyalgia - so these are my specific challenges (plus way too many biscuits - cookies).

However, I think this year I am ON it and can go, go go because I worked very hard on getting back on track last year. My back pain is sorted with regular Pilates and I can manage my fibro pretty well - but have to be careful not to exhaust myself.

I want to begin with this - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plan...

I cycle 22KM to work and back a day (quite slowly carrying all my clothes, laptop etc!) and I love open water swimming and can easily manage 1km. Running is a weakness, (back and knee get a little soft and hurty but I can do it)

My challenge is to build up gradually and not overdo too soon as this is what sets me back.

So for example: I currently cycle around 40 mins per day, each way (80mins) 3-5 days per week. I don't really want to reduce this to fit in the other sports, but then I also end up so shattered there's no way I can get out running! So this is where I need the advice --- do I cut down on the cycling to work?

I'm one of these people that is "reasonably fit" a "little overweight" – but hasn't kind of pushed through the barrier to the other side where the fit people are. I need to push through it!

I'd also like some tips on diet for training: I'd like to lose around 14lbs for the race (I gained more than 28lbs after injury because stopped exercise).
    I'm trying to eat more veggie /vegan than meat (though I do eat meat) I don't eat eggs /soya (allergy)

Ok that's a lot of info!
    I may have some other UK friends doing this with me too

2015-01-05 8:16 PM
    in reply to: sillycat2000

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by sillycat2000 Here my Bio (I cheeted and copied form someone else) Name: Priscilla Story: I ran track and swam in high school. Got started with triathlon bug with Team in training in 2006 and found I really liked triathlons. My favorite events are the fundraising 5k I continued running and biking after TNT but stopped when I went back to school to get my masters. Over the last year my physical activity took a slump with only time for 5k. Now that I have graduated in November I decided I want to complete a Half iron. I orignaily wanted to complete it before I turned 40, but I am settling for 41. I started working out really last week every day with one day off. I am 10 lbs heavier than I was in 2006 triathlon. I started with swimming focus workouts this week as I have been running and biking, but not swimming in years. I work 12 hour night shift as a nurse. I would like to get through the half iron without injury. Family: I am married and have three kittens. Races are hard because I work almost every weekend and like my husband to be there. This year races: March 16, 2015 California Classic Half Marathon April 11, 2015 Millerton Lake Triathlon-Olympic May 10, 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend 7/4/15 4th of july run July 25, 2015 Barbs 1/2 Iron man ....other not confirmed yet Goals: Improve fitness. Avoid injury. Be a roll model for my nieces & nephews & family & friends. Have fun

Hi Priscilla !

Congrats on your recent graduation and welcome back to the world of fitness!  That's a pretty aggressive race schedule you have there.  I know you said you just started working out last week on a daily basis.  Just don't overdo it too soon.  Ease into training and slowly build volume and intensity.  Consistency is key, so don't burn out or get injured by trying to add too much too soon.  Remember a healthy multisport lifestyle is a marathon not a sprint.  Looking forward to hearing more about you journey and your race season.

2015-01-05 8:35 PM
    in reply to: doreb

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by doreb Hello! So this is my first go at triathlons so I thought this mentor stuff might be a good idea ??. I did some running in highschool( on my own) and a couple of years ago started to do some races (I am currently 33yo). I've done 5k (my least favorite distance) all the way to 50 k. I got into cycling this past summer and did a 45 mile bike race. I heard some people talking about triathlons and thought that it was a logical next move for me. I am signed up for an Olympic distance this June and a half distance this September. I have a friend who has done many tris, including Several IMs, who is helping me with a training plan but I probably need all the help I can get. I started swimming 4 or 5 months ago very sporadically but I am trying to get more consistent with it. I have gone from barely being able to swim 6 pool lengths to swimming the 1.2 distance. However, that took me 1 hour and I need a lot of help in this area. Anyway, not married, have a boyfriend ( he is currently trying to get into competitive cycling)and a dog and work about 40-60 hours a week. I am currently training about 6-7 hours a week. Anyway, hope to join this group and get some help/support. Thanks!

Hi Doreb and welcome to the group!  It looks like you have done some pretty serious racing already and have a knowledgeable support group helping you. Hopefully the collective experience of this group and can a little more and provide some motivation along the way as well.  

2015-01-05 8:57 PM
    in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2 Ha ha! I was still hanging out in the old group; I didn't realize this one was active yet. December totals S: 25,260 yards B: 100.05 miles R: 37.95 miles Strength Training: 37h 20m Cross-Country Skiing: 8.5 miles 2014 Totals S: 83.2 miles B: 1,265.75 miles R: 283.9 miles Pounds lost: 99 Sizes dropped: 6 I added a few extra swim sessions in December because it was swim month for the USAT National Challenge Competition. I finished the month being one of the top five swimmers for Team USAT (the team comprised of triathlon club "orphans"). This month is bike month, and although I have an indoor trainer now, I find it incredibly tedious, so I don't expect to be one of the top five bikers. This is my second year competing in triathlons. I completed four in 2014; did great in two, and survived two. In my first year, I learned how to swim and went from struggling to swim two pool lengths freestyle, to regularly swimming 1800-2000 yards freestyle without stopping. I've also gone from walking a 26-minute mile to running a 12-minute mile, although that is not a sustained speed. My bike speeds really haven't improved much, and I'm not sure why. I have no background in athletics, unless high school spirit team counts. I'm pretty mediocre at just about everything, but that doesn't stop me from trying my hardest or from having fun. I'm in the 50-54 age group, also the Athena division. Goals for 2015 are to get faster, get faster, and get faster. Oh, and get faster. I am planning to compete in seven triathlons in 2015, including an indoor event at the end of February. I'm hoping to do my first Olympic in August, but it all depends on how physical therapy goes. I have severe osteo arthritis in my left knee and severe bursitis in both hips, particularly my right. This only bothers me when I run, and hopefully, PT will help. The test will be the Bloomsday 12K Run in Spokane in May. If I can survive that (note the word is just "survive"), then I'll do the Olympic distance in August. If I end up hailing a taxi--or an ambulance--then I'll just stick to sprints. No family, just a day job and a cat who likes to chew on my arm when I'm on my trainer. I've cut back on my volunteer commitments to focus on my training and currently spend about 3-4 hours a day. Strength training is a big part of that. I think it's making a difference; time will tell. It has certainly improved my endurance in the pool, although it hasn't impacted my speed. One of my really cool new toys that I'd wish I'd bought a long time ago is my new Timex Ironman GPS watch. I wear it now when I run, ride my bike (outside), and cross country ski. It's pretty accurate and tracks my mileage and time and also shows my current speed, although it's not always easy to check when I'm skiing or riding my bike. I think it will give me helpful feedback when running 5K races. Cassandra aka "burner2" (I'm a triathlete and a burner, too--a Burning Man participant)

Cassandra, so glad you made it over.  Hate to think about you "sitting" over there in the old group, alone, and wondering "where is everybody?" lol

Your December swim numbers are very impressive! And congrats on being top 5 on your team for the swim challenge.  Reading through your updated bio, you continue to inspire me with all that you have accomplished.  Plus I love reading about your adventures getting to races.  From your previous race reports I think that is often a bigger challenge than the race itself!  Excited to be a part of your 2015 season!

2015-01-05 9:13 PM
    in reply to: MaiaRoberts07

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by MaiaRoberts07 Hi please can I be in? I'm Maria, I'm 37 from the UK and a mum - I mean mom . I have a dog who goes running with me. I have wanted to do a triathlon for years but I keep stumbling. I crashed my bike and injured my spine 3 years ago, I now have 2 bulging discs, and I also have fibromyalgia - so these are my specific challenges (plus way too many biscuits - cookies). However, I think this year I am ON it and can go, go go because I worked very hard on getting back on track last year. My back pain is sorted with regular Pilates and I can manage my fibro pretty well - but have to be careful not to exhaust myself. I want to begin with this - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plan... I cycle 22KM to work and back a day (quite slowly carrying all my clothes, laptop etc!) and I love open water swimming and can easily manage 1km. Running is a weakness, (back and knee get a little soft and hurty but I can do it) My challenge is to build up gradually and not overdo too soon as this is what sets me back. So for example: I currently cycle around 40 mins per day, each way (80mins) 3-5 days per week. I don't really want to reduce this to fit in the other sports, but then I also end up so shattered there's no way I can get out running! So this is where I need the advice --- do I cut down on the cycling to work? I'm one of these people that is "reasonably fit" a "little overweight" – but hasn't kind of pushed through the barrier to the other side where the fit people are. I need to push through it! I'd also like some tips on diet for training: I'd like to lose around 14lbs for the race (I gained more than 28lbs after injury because stopped exercise). I'm trying to eat more veggie /vegan than meat (though I do eat meat) I don't eat eggs /soya (allergy) Ok that's a lot of info! I may have some other UK friends doing this with me too

Welcome Maria!

My wife and I are big fans of the UK, and it certainly has its' share of triathlon legacy.  You may not know who Spencer Smith is, but he was my inspiration to start Tri's back in the 90's.  

Just looking at your bio, I don't think I would change anything as far as the biking if it is working for you.  Try to work in your running on weekends, or drive/commute 1 day a week, and run that day before or after work.  If your swimming is strong, then you already have an advantage over most entering the sport as swimming is usually the limiting factor for newer triathletes.  As far as weight loss, I think the best thing in the world is triathlon training.  I've never known anyone to not lose weight while consistently swimming, biking, and running.

2015-01-05 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

This group is really starting to fill up, but I'll leave it open a little longer.  Don't want to see anyone excluded, plus experience has told me that not everybody will become active members.  (So everybody prove me wrong! )

Here's the group so far:

Dominon / Chris

rjchilds / Randy

nrpoulin / Nate

ettringite23 / Todd

fourteenkittens / Dennis

sillycat2000 / Priscilla

Doreb /  ???

burner2 / Cassandra

MaiaRoberts07 / Maria

---------------------------------------

Fire away with any questions you may have or any topics you want discussed.  That's what we're all here for!  We've got a good mix of experienced and newer triathletes on here, so there should be a lot we can learn from each other.  Let's get it rolling!!

2015-01-05 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

Oh, and one more thing, if you are not doing it already it does help if you are logging your training here on BT.  Not a requirement but it does help to answer training questions and give advice if we can see what types of things you have been doing.  I think I have my logs set to "friends only" but it's not a big secret, if you want to see my logs just ask.

Hope everyone is getting off to a great start in 2015!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 28944 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : July 1, 2009
    author : mrmarkcole
    comments : 37
    Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
    author : mat steinmetz
    comments : 7
    I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
    date : August 21, 2008
    author : TriChica
    comments : 8
    I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
    author : vm354
    comments : 1
    How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
    date : January 1, 2008
    author : jgosse66
    comments : 0
    Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
    author : jgosse66
    It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
    date : June 6, 2006
    author : Ingrid Loos
    comments : 4
    A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
    author : chrisandniki
    A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?