Other Resources The Political Joe » Sony Hack Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-12-23 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Sony Hack

Just keeps getting more interesting.  It's like a movie in and of itself.
I figured the original hackers found something illicit that they threatened to expose.  I can't think of any other reason other than people going to jail at Sony that would cause them to cancel the movie altogether. 

This just released by Anonymous (Hacking Group)

I Dear Mr. Michael Lynton (CEO of Sony Entertainment),

We shall first-off begin this message with an expression of sympathy as you have failed to release “The Interview” as you believe that hackers shall carry out a new operation to cause malicious damage within your organisation.

I would like to inform you that we all know the hacks didn’t come from North Korea (we think everybody knows about this already).

What we would like to say is that by not releasing “The Interview”, you are denying us the privilege of the Freedom Of Information Act (1966).

Unfortunately, due to your organisation panicking at first sight of trouble, we find this very cowardly of both yourself and your organisation (Sony Entertainment).

We know that Mr. Paulo Coelho has offered Sony Entertainment a sum of $100,000 for the rights of the movie; where he shall then be able to upload the movie onto BitTorrent.

Obviously, you shall not be responding to his generous offer – so please respond to ours with a public conference, we wish to offer you a deal…

Release “The Interview” as planned, or we shall carry out as many hacks as we are capable of to both Sony Entertainment, and yourself.

Obviously, this document was only created by a group of 25 – 30 Anons, but there are more of us on the internet than you can possibly imagine.

We are Anonymous,
We are Legion,
We do not forgive,
We do not forget,
Expect us.

2014-12-23 9:32 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Sony Hack

I would be happy and grateful if someone would just take down the entire net......permanently.  It appears to me that we've probably squeezed all of the good out of it.....from here on out it just gets stupid IMO.

2014-12-23 10:22 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by tuwood

I figured the original hackers found something illicit that they threatened to expose.  I can't think of any other reason other than people going to jail at Sony that would cause them to cancel the movie altogether. 

That's interesting. I'm not sure I undersand what you mean by "I figured the original hackers found something illicit that they threatened to expose."
2014-12-23 10:24 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

I would be happy and grateful if someone would just take down the entire net......permanently.  It appears to me that we've probably squeezed all of the good out of it.....from here on out it just gets stupid IMO.

You trying to run me out of business?  lol
You'll like this article.  From 2003
http://www.theonion.com/articles/48hour-internet-outage-plunges-nation-into-product,779/

2014-12-23 10:28 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

That's interesting. I'm not sure I undersand what you mean by "I figured the original hackers found something illicit that they threatened to expose."

The hackers continued to leak more and more embarrassing information from high level Sony employees, and gave them an ultimatum to cancel the move "or else".  So, my guess is that they had some very bad information that they had dug up (possibly illegal in nature) that Sony simply could not allow to be made public.

I obviously I have no idea, but for them to take a near $100M loss was less painful then the alternative.  So, that is mostly where I'm coming from.

2014-12-23 10:57 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I wouldn't be surprised if there were illegal things going on. Not too long ago Sony was sued for using pirated software.

2014-12-23 11:28 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I was just thinking a little more about this.  

If you really take a step back and look at how invasive (good and bad) the internet has been to industries and us as humans it's just crazy.

Even something as simple as BT which allows people from all over the world to talk about Triathlon (and other stupid stuff) simply didn't exist 20 years ago.  We went to the library or talked to people at a local club and that was about it.  The entire globe was very isolated.
One thing that I've been fascinated overall is the cataclysmic shift in our global culture because of the internet.  So many countries (even our own) used the power of money to control what information was given to the populous.  Now, we see third world countries uprising against their leaders because of the ability to see information unfiltered.

Even xenophobic "we're better than you" mentalities are so much less today than they ever were before because it's easier to discover that we're truly one people on one earth that want the same things when we build communities with people from other countries.  We learn that there are thugs everywhere and there are criminals everywhere, but the regular people of the world all want the same things, no matter what country they were born in.

I play a dumb pool game on my phone and there are people from all over the world who i get matched up against.  I played a guy from Iran this morning who had a profile picture of what I'm assuming is him and his daughter together smiling.  They looked so amazing and I just couldn't help but think how beautiful they were.  Stuff like that tears down preconceived notions of "all Iranians are the enemy" type of mentalities that our leaders have hawked for decades.

So, overall I get your point because there are negatives that come from the Internet but the positives are so much greater that it would be devastating to go back.

2014-12-23 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

If you really take a step back and look at how invasive (good and bad) the internet has been to industries and us as humans it's just crazy.

Even something as simple as BT which allows people from all over the world to talk about Triathlon (and other stupid stuff) simply didn't exist 20 years ago.  We went to the library or talked to people at a local club and that was about it.  The entire globe was very isolated.
One thing that I've been fascinated overall is the cataclysmic shift in our global culture because of the internet.  So many countries (even our own) used the power of money to control what information was given to the populous.  Now, we see third world countries uprising against their leaders because of the ability to see information unfiltered.

Even xenophobic "we're better than you" mentalities are so much less today than they ever were before because it's easier to discover that we're truly one people on one earth that want the same things when we build communities with people from other countries.  We learn that there are thugs everywhere and there are criminals everywhere, but the regular people of the world all want the same things, no matter what country they were born in.

I play a dumb pool game on my phone and there are people from all over the world who i get matched up against.  I played a guy from Iran this morning who had a profile picture of what I'm assuming is him and his daughter together smiling.  They looked so amazing and I just couldn't help but think how beautiful they were.  Stuff like that tears down preconceived notions of "all Iranians are the enemy" type of mentalities that our leaders have hawked for decades.

So, overall I get your point because there are negatives that come from the Internet but the positives are so much greater that it would be devastating to go back.

I see a day where the internet is a haven for bad people intent on evil, and I'm the least pessimistic person you know......I think we'll beg to go back.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-23 11:54 AM
2014-12-23 11:55 AM

User image

This looks to me as best marketing stunt ever.....I am guessing the movie is pretty terrible.
2014-12-23 12:05 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

The hackers continued to leak more and more embarrassing information from high level Sony employees, and gave them an ultimatum to cancel the move "or else".  So, my guess is that they had some very bad information that they had dug up (possibly illegal in nature) that Sony simply could not allow to be made public.

I obviously I have no idea, but for them to take a near $100M loss was less painful then the alternative.  So, that is mostly where I'm coming from.

Ok, I got it...I think...

Do you still beleive the hackers were North Korean? IT sounds now as thought there's good evidence to suggest they weren't. And If they weren't, why would they demand that this particular movie not be released as a condition of not releasing the embarrasing information?

2014-12-23 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I see a day where the internet is a haven for bad people intent on evil, and I'm the least pessimistic person you know......I think we'll beg to go back.

I think it already is, to a degree. It's led to places where people of similar interest from all over the world can find each other. The positive aspect of that are places like BT and other forums where people can find a community that they might not have been able to find where they live. A kid who lives in a small town and suspects that he might be gay or a girl who has doubts about the religion she's grown up with in her strict home or a woman in an abusive relationship can all find information and support from people around the world who are going through the same things that they are. That's an amazingly powerful and beautiful thing that changes lives for the better every day.

The bad news of course, is that it also gives the same power to would-be terrorists, mass killers, sexual predators, etc to help to justify their evil interests by latching on to a community of people who are just as perverse as they are. Not to mention stuff like SilkRoad and other "dark" websites that allow people access to all manner of twisted content or services that they'd never be able to find in the "real world".

Even with that, I think it's a net gain for society. People have access to more information about the world than they ever had before, and knowlege is power. If you believe, as I think you do, that there are more good people out there than bad, that's a good thing in the long run.

2014-12-23 1:19 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

Master
, California

Originally posted by Jackemy1 This looks to me as best marketing stunt ever.....I am guessing the movie is pretty terrible.

^^ this

They've generated more press than Ebola.  Ridiculous.

2014-12-23 1:27 PM

Master
, California

Haha, this reminded me of Elon Musk talking about how fast artificial intelligence is developing.  "If its [function] is just something like getting rid of e-mail spam and it determines the best way of getting rid of spam is getting rid of humans ..."

2014-12-23 1:37 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Ok, I got it...I think... Do you still beleive the hackers were North Korean? IT sounds now as thought there's good evidence to suggest they weren't. And If they weren't, why would they demand that this particular movie not be released as a condition of not releasing the embarrasing information?

Obviously we only have what the media and government is telling us.  Personally I don't feel that North Korea is even close to on par with the world when it comes to information technology infrastructure and capabilities.  Think of a country like America with kids growing up surrounded with technology and programming, yet we have a very small number of hackers who are truly gifted and capable enough of hacking on a scale of this magnitude.  It takes a much larger machine than I feel N. Korea is capable of creating in house.

So, my gut tells me they may be funding something or involved with it, but they in no way have the ability to do the attack.

2014-12-23 1:38 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro

Originally posted by spudone

Haha, this reminded me of Elon Musk talking about how fast artificial intelligence is developing.  "If its [function] is just something like getting rid of e-mail spam and it determines the best way of getting rid of spam is getting rid of humans ..."

We could use a few less of those as well. 

2014-12-23 1:39 PM

User image

Pro

Ok, I got it...I think... Do you still beleive the hackers were North Korean? IT sounds now as thought there's good evidence to suggest they weren't. And If they weren't, why would they demand that this particular movie not be released as a condition of not releasing the embarrasing information?

Obviously we only have what the media and government is telling us.  Personally I don't feel that North Korea is even close to on par with the world when it comes to information technology infrastructure and capabilities.  Think of a country like America with kids growing up surrounded with technology and programming, yet we have a very small number of hackers who are truly gifted and capable enough of hacking on a scale of this magnitude.  It takes a much larger machine than I feel N. Korea is capable of creating in house.

So, my gut tells me they may be funding something or involved with it, but they in no way have the ability to do the attack.

Great........this is the part where N. Korea hacks down BT.  Thanks Tony.

2014-12-23 1:39 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by spudone

Didn't somebody make a movie about that.  hehe

2014-12-23 1:40 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

2014-12-23 1:58 PM

User image

Pro

See.....they have already hacked your account so your responses don't show up.

2014-12-23 2:06 PM

Master
, California

They have nukes pretty much because China supports them.  Same with computer capabilities.  And China has no love for Japan so I wouldn't put it past them to use North Korea as a proxy to do some damage to Sony.  Assuming this wasn't just a big publicity stunt to begin with.

2014-12-23 2:09 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

See.....they have already hacked your account so your responses don't show up.

2014-12-25 10:27 AM

User image

Buttercup

Do you still beleive the hackers were North Korean? IT sounds now as thought there's good evidence to suggest they weren't.

The FBI has pointed to North Korea due to specific signatures found in the hacking code/malware, encryption algorithms, compromised networks used and the manner in which they executed deletions. In other words, they are looking at hard clues (as hard as software can get), rather than motive.

To be able to hack, one does not need a vast, sophisticated infrastructure. One only need a hacker(s) with the logic power, awareness of vulnerabilities, and will to exploit vulnerabilities. Many famous hackers were but malicious teens with too much idle time on their hands working out of their bedrooms when they were discovered. It appears North Korea has taken their best minds and put them to use finding our vulnerabilities. It's new warfare.

Here's an article about a Chinese hacker (or team of) taking control of a dummy US industrial control system: http://www.technologyreview.com/news/517786/chinese-hacking-team-ca...

Here's an article about a water pump that was damaged when hackers managed to insert malicious code at an Illinois water treatment plant 3 years ago: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/checkpoint-washington/post/fore...

Sony received much more attention because they're Sony and entertain us. These industrial control system hacks are much more dangerous to our lives than the hack of entertainment companies.
2014-12-25 6:42 PM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Marketing ploy pure and simple.  The world would have totally ignored this movie if it wasn't for this BS. Unfortunately it seems to have been effective so expect lots more of it in the future.

2014-12-25 8:22 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Dan-L

Marketing ploy pure and simple.  The world would have totally ignored this movie if it wasn't for this BS. Unfortunately it seems to have been effective so expect lots more of it in the future.

I work in the film business and many of my friends have worked for Sony. Their personal information has now been leaked and some of them have already gotten their bank accounts wiped. This is not a marketing ploy

2014-12-26 6:23 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by Dan-L

I work in the film business and many of my friends have worked for Sony. Their personal information has now been leaked and some of them have already gotten their bank accounts wiped. This is not a marketing ploy

*smashes glass and pulls the BS lever*

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Sony Hack Rss Feed  

of 1