Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sears and washing machines Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-23 1:01 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: Sears and washing machines
We have a 2008 front loading washer. We purchased the extended warranty just 6 months ago ($640 for both washer and drier) and they came out to clean and inspect it. They found a cracked counterweight. That was in Ocyober. They made another appt for someone to come fix it - I assumed, since they know what the issue was, they would bring the part. No. That guy said they would order it, but that it is ok to use. Now, they call us and say it needs replacing and we get $500 towards a new one.

. Is this just a scam to get us to buy a new machine and upgrade it?

what do they so with the one we are using - haul it to the dump? That seams environmentally wrong. I just assume donate it somewhere.

front loader vs top loader - what say CoJ?

Edited by bootygirl 2014-12-23 1:02 PM

2014-12-28 11:35 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Sears and washing machines

Originally posted by bootygirl We have a 2008 front loading washer. We purchased the extended warranty just 6 months ago ($640 for both washer and drier) and they came out to clean and inspect it. They found a cracked counterweight. That was in Ocyober. They made another appt for someone to come fix it - I assumed, since they know what the issue was, they would bring the part. No. That guy said they would order it, but that it is ok to use. Now, they call us and say it needs replacing and we get $500 towards a new one.

what do they so with the one we are using - haul it to the dump? That seams environmentally wrong. I just assume donate it somewhere.

Not so much a comment about washers and dryers as a comment about the sorry state of customer service in America today.  We have a similar situation with a Frigidaire Above Stove Microwave.  Microwave is less than a year old, still under the original manufacturer warranty, paid $400+ and we purchased the extended warranty for $149.  The glass door is cracked and the handle is broken.  There are hundreds of similar accounts online, yet Frigidaire is offering $50 credit toward purchase of a new door and handle - $169.  Then it has to be installed by a "qualified technician" or it will void the warranty.  They say this is all spelled out in the warranty, as if any lay person can understand the pages of legalese.

It seems you can't buy a stick of gum now days without having an attorney read the fine print!

2014-12-28 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by bootygirl

We have a 2008 front loading washer. We purchased the extended warranty just 6 months ago ($640 for both washer and drier) and they came out to clean and inspect it. They found a cracked counterweight. That was in Ocyober. They made another appt for someone to come fix it - I assumed, since they know what the issue was, they would bring the part. No. That guy said they would order it, but that it is ok to use. Now, they call us and say it needs replacing and we get $500 towards a new one.

Sears sold you an extended warranty on a six year old machine? I didn't know they offered those on appliances that old..

Counting the cost of the warranty, you'd be buying a $1000 new washer for $1100. This seems a little ridiculous to me. I'd push for them to fix the existing machine unless the terms of the deal changed.

We did just buy a new top-loader from Sears after years of the 'moldy water' problem chronic to front loaders from the mid-2000's. We had a top o' the line LG front loader and clothes came out of that thing smelling like they'd been sitting in brackish sea water. New top loaders are much more water efficient than they used to be so appeal of front loading washers not as obvious anymore.

I agree about donating...
2015-01-01 7:40 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Elite
Reno
The drier is included on the warranty. I suppose we need to buy a new warranty on the new machine too.... I Feel scammed. I have looked for the part myself - it is a concrete weight - it shouldn't be so specialized......
2015-01-04 2:17 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Top-loading washers AND dryers, FTW.

http://www.fisherpaykel.com/

2015-02-27 10:04 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Elite
Reno

Just an update for general knowledge.     We attempted to source out the counter weight ourselves, but it seems to be truly un obtainable.    And we had to initiate replacement within 90 days.    We found out that the extended warranty we bought will carry over to the new washer for the balance of the time.   Drier remains covered.   The warranty covering the new machine took a bit of the sting out.    So, for about $90 addl we are getting a new machine - slightly larger, top loading HE.

so, I feel bad that a working washer goes to the grave.   My dad would have quick created the Counter weight back in the day.   I only hope it gets completely recycled.

2015-02-27 11:06 PM

User image

Regular
I'm running Kenmore's in my house for 10 years plus thanks to the knowledge from this site. If I remember correctly he only asks for beer money via paypal. I''ve ensured that he's at least had a six pack of something favorable.

http://fixitnow.com/
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sears and washing machines Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bear suprises Samsung crew on washing machine shoot

Started by tuwood
Views: 1766 Posts: 7

2013-01-31 12:50 PM Bigfuzzydoug

Need help - looking for a new washing machine

Started by moogley
Views: 1405 Posts: 10

2011-07-28 1:13 PM mike342

Sears Tower Renamed!

Started by mr2tony
Views: 1152 Posts: 23

2009-03-13 1:57 PM Big Sexy

Front Loading Washing Machines Pages: 1 2

Started by Xan
Views: 1853 Posts: 29

2008-08-17 4:25 PM bootygirl

Sears best customer

Started by houston-tri-mamma
Views: 743 Posts: 4

2005-07-15 2:24 PM Happycow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 28, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : July 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
On the first rep I tore my soleus muscle. Am I ok to swim? How long should I avoid running? Will using an elliptical trainer be ok?
date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Bicep Curl-Machine Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Seated Row Machine-Overhand Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : June 18, 2006
Seated row machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video
date : June 4, 2006
author : Manny
An overview of strength training: the machines, techniques and it's place in your season.