General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-29 11:00 AM

User image

Subject: Tri bike questions
I've been racing triathlons mostly sprints and few international distance races for the past 7 years using a road bike. I recently purchased a used 2009 Cervelo P2 to try a tri bike out and use it for next race season. I had a professional bike fit and have had 3-4 practice rides using the bike. I have also taken the bike to an empty parking lot and had a couple of sessions working on switching from the hoods to the tri bars to the brakes and back.
My initial ride was downright scary, I felt that a collision was imminent, I had no control, reduced road vision, and didn't feel like I could ride a straight line or even release the tri bars to move towards the brake without crashing. Subsequent rides have improved from 'I know I'm about to crash' to 'I frequently feel I'm about to crash' to my current state of 'I occasionally feel I'm about to crash'.

Questions:
1). How long did it take you to feel comfortable on the tri bike? Any tips for speeding up that process? My current plan is lots of offseason core work + parking lot drills + weekly rides.
2). A big limiter for me on the rides is forearm fatigue. My tyrannosaurus like forearms are getting very fatigued very quickly. I can ride my road bike 30-40 miles without an issue, but after 7-8 on the tri bike I begin to feel it in the forearms and end up stopping at 10 and 15 miles for break on the 20 mile rides I've done so far. Any tips for improving that?
3). On the bike fit they told me they were a little long on the fit and would have to swap out the stem to get it perfect, but they thought it was close enough and to try it and let them know if I feel like I'm reaching. The problem is I don't know what a tri bike should feel like. Do you typically have your forearms or elbows on the pads? I know you are supposed to be further forward on the saddle than on a tri bike, but how far? Could my forearm issue be a fit issue?

Any other tips or suggestions? Remember you might be in a race with me next year and the life you save could be your own.

2014-12-29 11:48 AM
in reply to: Then&Now

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: Tri bike questions

Originally posted by Then&Now On the bike fit they told me they were a little long on the fit and would have to swap out the stem to get it perfect, but they thought it was close enough and to try it and let them know if I feel like I'm reaching. The problem is I don't know what a tri bike should feel like. Do you typically have your forearms or elbows on the pads? I know you are supposed to be further forward on the saddle than on a tri bike, but how far? Could my forearm issue be a fit issue?

A side photo would help, but I think you described your problem right there: you're stretched out too far. You have to lean too far forward to reach the bar ends, and to get your arms positioned correctly.  This lean-forward is putting way too much weight toward the front of the bike, thus causing forearm fatigue and twitchy bike handling.

Your core probably needs work (because most people's core needs work) and yes it takes a while miles to get used to riding in aero. But it shouldn't really feel as impending-doom as you describe.

Looking at your avatar photo, you look like you're carrying more upper body weight than a lot of triathletes, such as folks like me at 6' and 172. Is that true? That may be a contributing factor as well.

2014-12-29 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I won't even begin to try to diagnose your fit because others will be much more knowledgeable but it took me (and still takes me when I ride my ride bike a lot in the off season) 3-4 weeks to get used to the tri bike. For me it's a sore neck. However, to be honest I never experienced much of the handling issue you are referring to. The first ride or two felt weird because the bike felt twitchy and only wanted to go straight but it was fine after that. So it very likely could be related to your fit.
2014-12-29 2:08 PM

User image

I just bought my first tri-bike over the weekend. In the process I tried two bike - same manufacturer and size but slightly different models. One was as you described - twitchy and a little scary when switching back and forth between the tri-bars and the hoods. The second felt much more stable - not scary at all. The guy doing the bike fitting felt it was a combination of a better fit and a slightly less aggressive position on the second bike. So, perhaps fit could be issue.

2014-12-29 8:07 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

I agree with Bruce.  It sounds like you have too much weight forward which will cause fatigue in the forearms and twitchy bike handling.  I'd go back to the fitter to discuss your issues. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road bike to Tri bike question

Started by seal6770
Views: 906 Posts: 6

2009-07-14 11:41 PM seal6770

Tri-bike questions

Started by autigers_1998
Views: 756 Posts: 5

2006-05-30 9:38 AM briderdt

different kind of Tri Bike question

Started by Mike 45
Views: 611 Posts: 3

2006-03-15 2:23 PM rollinbones

Tri Bike question

Started by satchmo72
Views: 872 Posts: 10

2004-08-17 2:56 PM the bear

tri-bike questions from a tall guy (6'5")

Started by ephford
Views: 1157 Posts: 2

2003-08-28 1:03 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.