Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-08-22 1:58 PM
in reply to: #518299

User image

Regular
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: RE: naysayers
When it comes to just doing a triathlon I get a lot of the "looks" and the occasional "you're crazy" responses. There have been people who let it go in one ear and out the other thinking I couldn't/wouldn't do it. It feels so good after having done 3 tris and 1 du to go back to them so they can see that I actually COULD and DID in fact do it.

But what surprises me is the negativity I get from my "tri" friends and even some BTers when it comes to my Triathlon goals. Granted my goals are far fetched, but it's still achieveable as a few triathletes (that I know of) have actually done what I want to do, but to hear the discouragement from the people who are SUPPOSED to understand is a little shocking and unexpected.

I know exactly what you mean though, OP. But, the greatest feeling is proving people wrong and proving to myself that I CAN......DO IT!

2006-08-22 2:25 PM
in reply to: #518836

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

McFuzz - 2006-08-22 1:47 PM Why are you doing it? For their accolades or for your own, intrinsic, desires? As you train, and start transforming that "chubby" body into a chiseled, rock-hard, athletic one, they'll be asking what was your secret. Um...eat less and exercise more...(yea, right...and I'll just go save myself a million bucks in the process too...) Hang around people who will support your decisions, not sabatoge them.

I get this one ALL the time.  Working in a hospital too.  One of the docs will say, "Wow how are you losing all the weight?"  I used to go through the whole lifestyle change, excersize blah blah discussion.  Which was pretty much met with a blank stare. 

Now I just say, "Math".

2006-08-22 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

I can't challenge them to beat my time - because they just might!  And I don''t really want to invite tme to train with me... BUT, I think it's fair game to find a near-in, local race and help them get signed up for it.  They can train or not if they want.  It's a win-win - if they train, they can see how hard it is and you might get a workout buddy.  If they don't train, they'll see how hard it is come race day and you might still get a workout buddy if the get 'bit' and are determined to do better next time.  If they don't get bit at least you won't get any more comments from them.

2006-08-22 3:12 PM

New user
We have a house at the beach, and people (family/friends) who don't really understand the tri lifestyle get a crash course when I'm up at 5am and training until 8am when they are finally waking up!!! My Mother-In-Law, who I adore, is really getting into to supporting me and coming to races. Which is cool to have her respect, plus I lost my Mom over 4 years ago, so it's nice having another Mom for support. Still not the same, but very nice.

As far as the weight loss questions - I used to go into detail, but now I just say "diet and exercise".
2006-08-22 3:14 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Who cares what anyone says.  I had someone tell me I'm going to kill myself out there and that the human body wasn't meant to do things like that, as he goes and smokes his pack of cigarettes.  That made me only made me want to prove him wrong!  You should be proud that you took on such an endevour. =)

When people ask me why I do it, I just say with a smile, "because I'm a nut". =D

2006-08-22 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Heck you should start carrying around and entry form for the next sprint tri you are planning on doing.  When one of them brags about being able to do it "from the sofa" hand them the form and tell them to give you the check and the form back so you can mail it in.  They will either shut up or laugh at you and give you some lame reason why they couldn't do THAT race.

Now if you are worried about them beating you, I would tend to guess most would struggle through the swim.  They might do fine on the bike, but after about 1/2 way they would likely start wearing down.  Then they still have that 5K run. 

If they are not over weight, they can get through it, if they are they will likely have a really tough time of it.

Heck since January I have dropped 15-20 pounds, it sure was not just sitting around.  There are sweat stains on the carpet, and scuff marks on the alley from all the biking, and running I have done.  It IS math, eat 2500 calories, burn 3000, net loss 500.  Repeat about 7 x 500 = one pound x 20 = lots of work.

2006-08-22 3:33 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Hey - I think it's natural and perfectly okay to be disappointed when we don't get support from the people around us. We're human beings - I believe that inately we seek assurance from other humans in our efforts. How you deal with it is what keeps you going. Lot's of people will be able to go out and "DO" a sprint triathlon. They might actually finish ahead of some folks who are training. But the difference is that you will be able to go to work the next day and walk in under your own power. Your co-workers will be at the Doc's office with Weekend Warrior Syndrome. You, on the other hand, will be planning your next tri, and planning how you'll improve on your time.

I think it's a great idea to invite people out with you for a training session. Tell them exactly what your goals are, and what the pace is. Then invite them out the next day. ANYONE can complete a 5k. But you'll be able to walk the next day.

Don't sweat it. We all get pooh-poohed all the time. Triathletes ARE crazy, and if you think you're not, well, you might be sane. And if you're sane, your in the wrong sport.
2006-08-22 3:34 PM

User image

Regular
PA
When I started out I got a lot of "well hon, if you don't do it, that is ok too" Kinda like thank you very much for giving up on me before I even start. If I let out the slightest groan that I had pushed a bit hard earlier I was told that I am overworking myself. Granted that did happen a couple of times, but really I was so out of shape overdoing it wasn't hard. But after I finished my frist Tri most of that changed and I get a lot more I am proud of yous. I think it definately helped that they all came out to see my first one and watched everyone cross the finish line. Besides the first guy, everyone else looked like they worked hard just to get over the finish line when they did. So now a good number of people who claimed I had gone out of head are now starting to train for next season. Everyone else is just too lazy.
2006-08-22 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
I do get a lot of support from my friends, and tons of support from my family. Most of the time, I get comments like, "When is your race? I wanna come cheer you on," and "Oh, I could NEVER do that!"

Then there are those people who will never be satisfied...

When I tell them I finished a sprint, they say, "Oh, you mean just a little triathlon? A mini?"

When I finish my Oly next year, I'm sure to hear, "That's not a full, FULL triathlon, though..."

If I ever do a half Ironman, I'll hear, "Only a half?"

If I ever do an Ironman, I'll hear, "But that's not Kona...that's IM Wisconsin."

And should I ever, by some miracle, qualify for and finish IM Hawaii, I'll hear, "But you didn't win."

In that same crazy dream, if I were to win, I'd hear, "But you didn't set any records."

And if I ever held the IM world record, maybe, just MAYBE then they'd shut up and be satisfied.
2006-08-22 5:56 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
I read a good article in Cycling magazine last year about overweight cyclists. The guy featured in the article made fun of a commuter cyclist. The cyclist came to work in his Diadoras. The overweight co-worker called him "Twinkle Toes." The cyclist responded, "if it's so easy, why don't you do it?"

The next day the overweight guy rode in 12 miles. It was a significant emotional event. He asked the cyclist for a ride home. The cyclist told him no way and that he had to get home on his own.

The overweight guy puked twice on the way home.

He then became a cyclist and is no longer a naysayer.
2006-08-22 6:04 PM
in reply to: #519025

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
christyr1978 - 2006-08-22 5:09 PM

I do get a lot of support from my friends, and tons of support from my family. Most of the time, I get comments like, "When is your race? I wanna come cheer you on," and "Oh, I could NEVER do that!"

When I tell them I finished a sprint, they say, "Oh, you mean just a little triathlon? A mini?"

When I finish my Oly next year, I'm sure to hear, "That's not a full, FULL triathlon, though..."

If I ever do an Ironman, I'll hear, "But that's not Kona...that's IM Wisconsin."

And should I ever, by some miracle, qualify for and finish IM Hawaii, I'll hear, "But you didn't win."

In that same crazy dream, if I were to win, I'd hear, "But you didn't set any records."

And if I ever held the IM world record, maybe, just MAYBE then they'd shut up and be satisfied.

I'm sorry, but are we secretly related? My family says the exact same thing. I mean, they are crazy supportive, but at the same time, they were always calling it "not a REAL triathlon, like on tv."

2006-08-22 7:48 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
I happen to work with two Ironmen, so I have gotten much support from them. Of course, everyone else at work thinks I'm now training for Ironman and I just can't seem to get the sprint concept to sink in.

My outside of work friend are either training with me ... or are very supportive of at least the health benefits of what I'm doing. I guess I'm pretty lucky.
2006-08-22 8:01 PM
in reply to: #518573

Master

briderdt - 2006-08-22 11:22 AM (1)  To them, triathlon is Ironman, and Hawaii in particular.

Ain't that the truth.

Edited by jknapman 2006-08-22 8:01 PM
2006-08-22 8:06 PM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Copy this, paste it, then hang it somewhere where you can see it every day:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

---Teddy Roosevelt
2006-08-23 12:31 AM
in reply to: #518608

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Daremo - 2006-08-22 10:49 AM Throw down the gauntlet and lay some cash on the table saying "If you can beat my time I'll give you X bucks, up for the challenge??" They'll shut up quick.

*sniff* I love you man

2006-08-23 11:50 AM
in reply to: #519056

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
Atlantia - 2006-08-22 6:04 PM

christyr1978 - 2006-08-22 5:09 PM

I'm sorry, but are we secretly related? My family says the exact same thing. I mean, they are crazy supportive, but at the same time, they were always calling it "not a REAL triathlon, like on tv."

My family is really supportive now, but when I started, all I heard from my mom was, "Well, just remember that you're not an athlete, and that you shouldn't push yourself." Now, my dad is asking when he can work out with me, and my boyfriend just finished his first duathlon...he signed up for it when I told him I was doing another tri. I'm so proud of them both! Now if only I could get my mom to work out...

2006-08-23 12:15 PM

New user

Anoka, Minnesota
My mom wasn't really negative ... but, she wasn't very positive either. She would always tell me, "You know, you don't have to do this." It got to be very motivational. I had to train. I had to do. I couldn't do what my mom told me.

I never really ran into any "negative" people. At least no one that was negative to my face.
2006-08-24 7:59 AM
in reply to: #519622

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
christyr1978 - 2006-08-23 11:50 AM

My family is really supportive now, but when I started, all I heard from my mom was, "Well, just remember that you're not an athlete, and that you shouldn't push yourself." Now, my dad is asking when he can work out with me, and my boyfriend just finished his first duathlon...he signed up for it when I told him I was doing another tri. I'm so proud of them both! Now if only I could get my mom to work out...

Print out your training log, invite your mom to your next event, and hand her your training log. When you cross the finish line, ask her to define an athlete. I suspect she will hug you and call you her "new athlete".
2006-08-24 8:22 AM

User image

There is a quote that I have seen on this site a lot and I am going to re-post it here for all of those people who think that tri-ing is "easy."

"If it were easy, then everyone would be doing it."

There is a reason that you are a triathlete and they are not.  Triathletes don't take the easy way out of anything.  We embrace challenge and live for accomplishment, whatever that may be.  How many people can honestly say that about themselves?  Don't ever let anyone take that away from you.  You now have no reason to doubt yourself or your abilities.  Its awesome that you have a goal and are willing to train to attain it.

Good luck and HAVE FUN.

2006-08-24 9:13 AM

User image

Master
MidWest
McFuzz and I are both active (him more than me). Our youngest 3 boys think we are doing great and are pretty good about being supportive. Our oldest, who is away at college, thinks we have fallen off our rockers!!! He wasn't here when McFuzz started training for tris or mountain climbing. I'm a newbie. We don't live close enough to my family for them to constantly question my sanity (and they would). His family is pretty good abut supporting him (see wsm1963).

All that said--- I am my biggest critic. I expect nothing but the best out of me!!! I try to set reasonable goals for each of my races and then strive to reach them. If I don't reach them then it wasn't a good race (according to me).
2006-08-24 9:46 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

There will always be people who are unsupportive, negative, and jealous.  They'll tell you that you can't do it, that you're crazy, or that it isn't a real triathlon.

But they don't matter.

They don't matter because they're not the reason we do this.  We do it for ourselves or for the people who do matter.  Just remember that.   

2006-08-24 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

I think 95% of the people I talk with are supportive.  My wife goes from being supportive one day to being frustrated another day.  I try to involve the kids in my training, and many times I can, but other times it is really hard to do that. 

The days my wife is not supportive tend to coinside with the days my kids have totally worn her out, no doing what they are told... boys being well boys.  My kids support me, they made my first race but have not made it to another.  That is because my wife has to get 4 little ones dressed, and out the door (I would help, but none of them wants to get up at 5:30 AM to head to a race that starts at 7:00.)  They will make it to my race this weekend, and then to a race in Sept.  They love training with me, most days, other times they want to stay home and play.

My co-workers encourage me, well most of them.  My boss doesn't quite get it yet, but I am not really worried about him.  I figure I feel better, have less time off than most co-workers (sick days) and those are both benefits to the company.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » naysayers Rss Feed  

of 2