General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sciatica Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-01 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Subject: Sciatica Pain
HNY to all! Been gone for a while, temporarily retired from tri to focus on cycling as the body was getting a bit beat up (5th year triathlete at 54 y/o). Long story short, pinched that nasty sciatic nerve, first time and first major injury in all those years of training. Worse pain ever! First doc visit, diagnosed as sciatica, 800 mg Ibu x 3 daily, try to keep active, dont overdue it. That was it. 4 days later, back to the doc, different doc, same, now prescribed Meloxicam anti inflammatory daily, Nortriptyline weekly increased medication for pain. It's crap. I am just about 4 weeks in, left leg numb between knee and ankle. Severe quad area pain, lower back and glute pain. I hobble leaving work at the end of the day. Now most likely due to change in gait, the knee is inflamed and very sore. I get some relief with heat, have been using cold as well. Stretch several times daily, still have excellent range of motion with not much pain, mostly painful while standing and walking. Off to try a chiro tomorrow am. This is the longest I have been off the bike in 5 years, left leg has no strength. Tried the trainer today, 10 minutes was all I could go.

Any idea's, anything I am not doing that might help. Was going to make a comeback to tri, Feb's race is out, now thinking if this doesn't get better real soon, May's race may be done as well. Have a great race season! Looking forward to a nice ride and run soon, still don't look forward to the swim lol!

2015-01-02 4:35 AM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Veteran
Berlin, Germany
Subject: RE: Sciatica Pain
Steven,

I have so been there, done that - I can tell you everything about sciatica. At one point I had to evacuate myself by helicopter from the islands back to US mainland (seriously) because of pain and not being able to move. Took all the medications (that you mentioned) and then some - was laid up for three months .... seriously feeling so that I begged for an operation.

Then I tried something different a friend had recommended: Pilates - which is all about strengthening deep muscles and giving the body balance. When I started I could not bend 10 degrees from the hip without pain. The Pilates trainer gave me lessons 3-4 times a week, very very slowly and carefully. And what happened? After 10 days the pain was (almost) gone .... after two weeks I was walking normal .... after three weeks I started swimming first, then bike and then running. Ever since that (latest and most painful) episode I am keeping my Pilates training up. But - most importantly - it gets you out of pain and gives you the strength and balance to stay out of pain.

Try a (classic - not the floor type in the gyms!) Pilates hour or two and you will see - it works and gets rid of the pain. You will work with "The Reformer" and "The Cadillac" and "The chair" - please And you learn where the sciatica comes from. Money well spend, I highly recommend it. Don't let time go by, just do it ... PM me for more info if you like!
2015-01-02 6:53 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Forget about tri's for right now and figure this out. In 2009 I could not feel my left foot for a month and could barely walk on a good day. No position was comfortable. As the Dr. had x-rays done and said it was just some compressed discs, and gave me pain killers/anit-inflamitory's. This helped a little but just enough to get around. After an MRI I found it was actually a herniated disc and some compressed discs (S1, L5, L4).

If your still running it will most likely make it worse. For me swimming also made it worse, because I'm a good swimmer and had an explosive flip turn off the wall which puts pressure on the back while being twisted. Riding a bike was the only thing I could do during this time, it actually opened up my vertibrea, but everyone's issues are different so it may not work for you.

I would suggest:
1 Go find a good physical therapist immediately, a good one will be able to evaluate you and start you on a core strengthening program and stretching program to give you relief and stop further damage from occurring.

2 Go to Dr and insist on an MRI which will show soft tissue and tell you if you really have a problem.

3 expect at least a 4 month recover from this- anything faster is a bonus.

4 expect relapses- its going to happen

Now 5 years after I had issues, I manage the back by doing core exercise's, stretching, and use and inversion table.

Good Luck.
2015-01-02 7:40 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Oh no! So sorry to hear! And yes, been there done that ... once in a while it's still a niggle now, but pretty much a thing of the past.

^^^ those guys gave you some good experience and advice, here's mine, some repetitive:

1. Make sure the chiro you go to is really top-grade and recommended by athletes, PTs, and/or docs. (Chiropractic has been very useful to me and I come from an allopathic background and used to tutor PT students as well).

2. Whatever you do to work on your back--PT, Pilates (GOOD Pilates, not whatever's going on at the Next-Door Gym), yoga (same goes as Pilates), Mackenzie extension exercises, strength training--and alleviates things the next few months--KEEP MAINTAINING AFTERWARDS. Possibly forever. The good news is that whatever it is, is likely to be all-over good for you anyway

3. There's a lot of controversy about it, and definitely other ways to do spinal extensions (which you should do anyway), but I found an inversion table to be a lifesaver initially. It was the only time I was out of pain and the relief slowly began extending further past when I got off the table.

4. Healing {MELON PRESS} and best of luck.

2015-01-02 3:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Been there too! I agree with finding a good PT to improve your core.

But in the mean time just walk. Pretend like your training for the ultimate walkathon. I know it sounds lame compared to triathlon training... but it's important to let the injury calm down and walking will help. It will also help to sustain your conditioning. Good luck!

Edited by cassowary 2015-01-02 3:29 PM
2015-01-03 8:38 AM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I don't mean to scare you but if your leg has lost strength that is a bad sign. The nerve is being pinched severely. You want to get this fixed before the damage becomes permanent. I had the same thing and required surgery in November 2013. After over a year I am finally regaining strength in my leg.

2015-01-04 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Hi!

Sorry to hear about your pain. I suffered from VERY bad back pain for many years an was ultimately cured of it by following a different kind of treatment program. I had previously tried everything except surgery which was probably the next step. Then I found out about the idea that some people with a certain personality type have a tendency to experience chronic pain in the back, neck, shoulder, etc). The type-T personality. The T is for tension or basically someone who has a propensity to be tension-prone and is susceptible to pain caused by stress or repression of difficult-to-deal with emotions.

The type-T person is the kind of person that has tendencies toward these kind of traits: a) is highly motivated, b) is nice (driven to perform good acts), c) prefers order (not necessarily orderly), d) a perfectionist e) a people pleaser, f) quick to judge, g) highly responsible, or h) overly self-critical. All of these kinds of traits in a personality tend to cause inner tension and creates the atmosphere to experience somatic pain where the cause of the pain is generated by the mind rather than a physical injury or abnormality. It might be hard to believe, but it is true that pain, even excruciating pain, can be caused by our own minds.

Anyway, if you want to look into it, my advice since you live in SoCal is to go see Dr Schechter in LA (http://www.schechtermd.com). He can evaluate you to see if your pain might be greatly diminished if not eradicated by this kind of treatment plan He specializes in it. In fact, he just wrote a book about it ("Think Away Your Pain") which I'm in the middle of reading because I'm fascinated by these concepts and of course because I'm a type-T personality (overly self-critical, perfectionist, highly motivated). So I am always vigilant about the ways I'm dealing with life and the strategies I use to not create new pain problems.

Whichever way you decide to get healed best of luck to get pain free and back into triathlon again.

Regards,

EP
2015-01-04 6:34 PM

User image

I would recommend if you have numbness and weakness in the leg that you should see a neurologist ASAP or at least have your doctor refer you for a nerve conduction test (EMG).
2015-01-05 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Subject: RE: Sciatica Pain UPDATE
Thank you all for the response and advice! It is much appreciated, those that have been there done that know what a pain in the butt (literally) that it is. Just had my second visit with a highly recommended local Chiro who also happens to be a former tri guy and still is very active cycling. All I can say is that it has been very positive so far. Some electrical stimulation, stretching and manipulation has helped. I have continued to ice daily, that helps as well. He has recommended continuing on with the MD to get an MRI, which I will do. I have quit the pain meds, will continue with the Meloxicam for an additional 8 days although I am not sure if it is helping or not.

At this point, I feel ok. No SBR now for 4 weeks, lots of walking in the job I do daily. I am pretty worked and in some pain at the end of a work day, but it is no longer excruciating like it was several weeks ago. The Chiro tells me the numbness will continue until the pressure on the nerve is relieved, it does appear to be less numb than it was. The pain manifests itself mostly in the left hip flexor and upper quad area as well as the upper glute. I don't have much pain at all sitting, that is a good sign.

All in all, I would have to say this could be alot worse than it is at this point. I only really suffered for several weeks, it is now managable and as long as I take rest breaks off my feet, I am walking with moderate pain only. Really bummed about the fitness loss, but am smart enough to understand that the priority is health, the fitness will come back, it is only temporary (hopefully!). Am staying as active as possible without pain, if it hurts, I stop. Am actually going out for a short ride around the 'hood, it's flippin 80 degrees and sunny in So. Cal right now, gotta get outside.

Thanks again and good health to all!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sciatica Pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sciatica

Started by pipsyboy
Views: 1193 Posts: 7

2012-06-11 4:46 PM TRG695

Back pain in sitting with right sciatica

Started by brim
Views: 1161 Posts: 6

2012-05-28 7:07 AM axteraa

Worsening sciatica - help!

Started by blueyedbikergirl
Views: 3837 Posts: 25

2011-10-09 11:43 AM skipg

Road bikes and sciatica?

Started by peacemaker24
Views: 1161 Posts: 3

2011-06-01 4:25 PM tkos

Training with Piriformis/Sciatica Pages: 1 2

Started by wildred
Views: 6817 Posts: 26

2012-03-25 10:45 PM Hot Runner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : March 23, 2011
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : January 14, 2008
At the age of 44, I am experiencing extreme pain in my hip. I have been trying simple stretching and have found no relief.
date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.

date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?
date : March 5, 2006
Differentiating between piriformis, sciatica and hamstring injury

date : April 9, 2005
I'd noticed occasional pain in the back of my left leg once in a while when running. The pain is now running from my buttocks to the knee. I am having occasional back aches too.