EndorFun
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 27m 11s
Overall Rank = 1056/1368
Age Group = M30-34h
Age Group Rank = 154/180
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3 had 2 boosts and a peanutbutter english muffin. Took a shower and walked the dogs. Drove to the race site and talked to some of my teammates from GSTC.
Event warmup:

Tried to stay dry - which proved impossible. I ended up just walking around in the wetsuit and doing some dolphin dives to warm up. It was nice getting into the wetsuit since it kept me a little warmer than I was in my wet clothes.
Swim
  • 37m 58s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started in the back of the pack as I did last year. I hate begin kicked and beat up so I'd rather just run my own race than worry about other people. This plan worked OK - not as well as last year but I was comfortable so that was good. For the rest of the swim: Holy chop batman! I have not done any swimming in choppy water. It was pretty interesting for sure. I didn't realize how choppy the water was until after we rounded the first buoy. I just tried to keep my strokes long and relaxed. Other than a couple of mouthfuls of water and some sighting issues it was a good swim. I got some good drafting in along the back stretch of the swim - very helpful since it was difficult to sight while paralleling the shore. Clearly the guy I was following was pretty comfortable in the chop and he kept a good line. Sadly someone who was zig-zagging cut me off and I lost him. On the final stretch into shore I was having a good run of it because I breathe on my right side and I was able to not get huge mouthfuls of water. I passed a couple of the white capped racers on the way in and only saw a handful of pink caps. That made me happy. Of course, I am not sure if I was off course or if everyone else went wide on the way back to shore - I felt like I was tight against the buoys and was going as straight as possible but its hard to tell without looking back. All in all the swim for me was very good - I didn't get tired, paced very well and came out in an excellent time. Glad to see all the swimming I have done has paid off!
What would you do differently?:

I guess I ought to spend some time in choppy water practicing that. I caught myself pulling my stroke up short while in the waves - thankfully I recognized it and calmed down and kept moving in a relaxed pace.
Transition 1
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

Not smoking fast but not completely leisurely pace. My jog on the sand was better than last year and I kept moving. I saw my family + some other friends and it was fantastic to hear them all cheering! That motivated me for sure!

Remember to put my race # on - I had missed the prerace meeting and thankfully my transition neighbor reminded me to wear my race # on the bike (you know for penalties). I was smart to bring a milk crate to transition - it helped a LOT for putting socks and shoes on.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr
Comments:

It had sopped raining by the beginning of the bike. I spun out of transition and up the first hill in a pretty easy gear and tried to get water into my system. My mistake of the day was that I forgot to take my aerobottle out on a ride since changing my front-end up on the bike - turns out that my straw was a *tad* too short (as in WAY too short). Good thing I have been using bottles all summer - the only bummer is that because of the rain they would be all gritty. Oh well. The first 11 miles were the standard take-it-easy and just working the hills. Ryan Patterson (matt's friend) passed me at about mile 5 throwing down a kick-butt pace. It was inspiring to see him sprint by but I stuck to my gameplan of keeping in my endurance zone. A couple of the corners were still pretty wet - I came in too fast at the left turn into the Industrial park but got it under control and was cheered on my Tim and company frmo GSTC. I gave a yell and kept on moving! At Marsh hill - mile 10 - I could feel the presence of the officials in the motorcycle behind me. Why is it that the officials always seem to get to me as I am climbing a big hill? The same thing happened at Mooseman to me. It was frustrating as I had to ensure that I had 4 bike lengths from the guy infront of me since he was pacing me up the hill. Finally he moved on and it looked like he was handing out a couple of penalties up the hill a bit but I couldn't tell. I did somehow manage to pass a couple of people on the hill which made me feel pretty dang good! After March hill it was a pretty hairy descent down to 106 since a van decided that he just had to pass me and the roads were very wet - I know that the turns at the bottom of the hill can be a tad dangerous so I took it easy and kept feathering the brakes to keep it in check. Once onto 106 I got into my groove and just stayed there. Other than some saddle soreness / numbness the ride was smoooth. I kept my drinking on target and I didn't have any stomach issues on the bike this year. I hit the turn at 1:26 - I was excited because I knew that I had a shot at completing the bike under 3 hours. However, that hope was diminshed when I hit the headwind waiting for me on the way back. I just kept focused on managing my HR and kept a good pace. Nothing exciting until after descending Marsh hill - it started to pour rain for the last 8 miles - the hill on Country Club drive was very dangerous and a tad scary. The headwind had picked up on and the last couple of miles I was excited to get off the bike. Come into T2 at 1:37 for the second half and I was happy that I was only a couple of mins off the 3 hour mark. Nod bad considering the conditions and that I held to my race plan of managing my HR.

Continue to work on hills - On the last climbs I was passed by a bunch of people. Ensure that my aerobottle straw is the right length! Thankfully this didn't impact my performance.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Happy to be done riding. A pretty quick transition - Glad to have dry shoes and socks on for a couple of seconds.
Run
  • 2h 38m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahh the run. I focus on keeping my HR in the 150s - last year I melted down and hit a super high HR never to recover. This year I was comfortable the whole way - despite the fact that I didn't really make up much time from last year. I did strap on the fuel belt - a very wise lesson learned from last year. I did my LSD shuffle and kept a consistent pace. Matt passed me at about mile 1.5, gave me a pat on the back told me to keep steady and just kept motoring along. I ran the first loop with only walking the last 1/3 of the hill at mile 5 and kept my pace steady for the into the second loop. At mile 7 I had to stop to get a rock out of my shoe that had been there since the beginning of the run - it finally got to me. I walked only a couple of times on the hills and for only up to 30 seconds at a time. My HR on the run never got above 165 which was good for me, but its amazing how hard it can be to run even when your HR is in your zone - I was running on no energy and had to keep menrally focused to keep moving. I ended up pullinga couple of cups of coke and 2 cookies from an aid station on the second loop. I walked up the hill at mile 11.25 and finished the last 1.5 miles strong with a good pace to the line. That last stretch down the finish line was simply amazing! My family was there cheering me on - I took it easy and enjoyed the last couple of minutes of the race. I managed to work the crowd into my trademark frenzy at the finish and had a big smile for the cameras. I finished and felt fantastic - a much better race than my previous half distance races.

Work on running. I have the endurance just not the speed. I know what I need to do :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Met my family (Wife, Mother, Parents in Law and both brothers). Drank water and stood there in that daze we like to enjoy. Gota slice of pizza and some Jordan's ice cream. Hit up the GSTC tent to say hi to the team, packed it up and headed to the car. I thanked Keith Jordan (the RD) and Audra the volunteer coordinator and met Jordan Rapp on the way to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The focus of this winter season is running and leg strength!

Event comments:

A PR by less than a minute :-)!

Additionally over the weekend I got to meet Sarah Reinertsen and Kate Major - Sarah being one of my real-life heroines and Kate....well who doesn't love Kate? It was one of the highlights of the weekend to get to spend a while with the two of them talking about triathlons and everything else. All of the big names who came to town were eager to talk and meet the age groupers - this is what makes Triathlon so great - you can meet the pros and its no big deal.

Again, the Timberman sets the bar by which all races ought to be measured. Despite the difficult weather at the beginning of the race everything went as smoothly as possible. All of the volunteers who worked the race were fantastic as well as the police support. Endorfun has hit another home run and I am willing to bet that 2007 Timberman is sold out in under 60 days this year. A top-notch race. I'll see you here next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:58 | 1931 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 85/180
Overall: 507/1368
Performance: Good
HR av - 150
Suit: QR Full
Course: Clockwise Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:04:04 | 56 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 125/180
Overall: 748/1368
Performance: Average
Loop 1 HR av - 161, loop 2 HR av - 168
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back :)
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:38:11 | 13.1 miles | 12m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 175/180
Overall: 1263/1368
Performance: Average
HR av - 157
Course: 2 loop course. I swear these are the longest miles ever.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-22 8:11 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2006-08-22 4:20 PM
in reply to: #518401

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Congrats on the PB! You had a great race and finished strong with a smile on your face. Good luck on next years race!
2006-08-22 9:22 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Great job, and congratulations!!!
2006-08-23 10:19 AM
in reply to: #518991

User image

Regular

Thanks man - I just do Timberman for the food!

Jason 

2006-08-23 10:20 AM
in reply to: #519171

User image

Regular

Hey a nice change from seeing you on the timbermantri forums!  I should have known that I'd see you over here!

2006-08-23 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Hey, great race in tough conditions! I agree, Timberman is a top notch event--definitely one to keep on the calendar for next year!

2006-08-23 10:45 AM

User image

New user

Great Race and great race review! Good job with the swim too - you did really well, especially considering how choppy the water was, and that was a fantastic time on the bike! Congratutlations!!
2006-08-23 2:34 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Nice race & congrats on the PR! I'm jealous of people like you that have easy access to all of Keith's races. They really are worth it (even just for the food )
2006-08-23 4:20 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Awesome race -- great photos -- a new PR -- and really good food! 

What more could you want but another year like it in 2007??  

Hope to meet you then, if not sooner, -Sunny

2006-08-23 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Nice job beating last year's time even with the lousy conditions. Keith's races are awesome - definitely worth doing year after year.

2006-08-23 8:56 PM
in reply to: #519506

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
jsargevt - 2006-08-23 11:20 AM

Hey a nice change from seeing you on the timbermantri forums!  I should have known that I'd see you over here!

It's a small world, eh?  Wouldn't want to paint it,though :-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed