in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: ADHD and Adderall
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by hessma
Originally posted by rventuri
Originally posted by dmiller5

And to all that say Sudafed, aderol, etc. are not PED's. I call BS on you. You are taking it to feel better, concentrate better, aka PERFORM BETTER. Fact is, many people use performance enhancing drugs every day to get through work, taking care of kids, or what have you.  To each his own, but I prefer good diet, sleep, and exercise.  In a race however, we should all be on the same playing field.  Stop using.

If the question is "does it matter" or will you get caught, then no it probably doesn't.  But morally. You are cheating.  If you cut the course does it not matter because you won't win anyway? Does that not take away from your feeling of accomplishment if you cheated? it should.

Couldn't agree more. Look for drug-free answers people, your long-term health will thank you.
Yeah, thanks for stating the obvious. I have tried drug free options for years and it just doesn't work anymore. I could go into detail about the effects ADHD has had on my life, but I realize it wont matter to you. I just ask you to put yourself in someone else's shoes before judging people who choose the medical route. Also, I read Steve Jobs' autobiography. He chose the drug free route and tried to cure his pancreatic cancer with diet. He was fortunate enough to have a treatable form of pancreatic cancer, yet chose not to use drugs. How did that work out for him? Yeah, that's right......

Then use it in your everday life, it doesn't bother me. But on the field of athletics we are contesting which human is better able to perform this task. You have ADHD, maybe thats a disadvantage, but you don't get to take drugs.

If you would read my posts, you would have seen that I said multiple times I will not use it when I race. As for "field of athletics" comment......I have said I am MOP/BOP, so I am sure you are better able to perform this task, since you certainly seem to be more into your accomplishments than I am. This is an activity to me to stay healthy, not my life's calling.

2015-01-07 8:42 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

hessma,

This is quite a timely post for me. I too just recently got on meds for my doctor diagnosed ADHD. I'm a 38yo male by the way. I'm not interested in debating whether we should/shouldn't be taking them because we already know we should. I would like to ask about your experience training on them though.

I started in October taking Ritalin in increasing dosages to find the target amount. Once I got to ~20mg 3xday I started noticing improved attention etc... I definitely noticed a major impact in my appetite, which I didn't really want to see. I switched to 56mg Concerta which is control release ritalin basically. I never actually trained AFTER taking the meds, as I felt like I was still adjusting to them and I didn't want to throw things off in my training or in the exploratory phase of finding the right med. I ran a marathon at the end of Nov and it was the worst race of my life, but likely not due to the meds.

We (doc and I) decided to try Adderall XR and the difference was startling. It was much more effective than the Concerta and lasted longer. I thought I'd found the answer BUT... after about 5 days taking the Adderall I noticed (TMI coming) I was struggling to get an erection, which had never been a problem, when I would get an erection it was only about 80% max hardness and it would go away at the slightest distraction during sex. This immediately killed Adderall as an option for me because it's just not worth it. So now I'm back on Concerta, which works, just not as well. I may try Vyvanse which I've read is the wunderdrug, but is expensive.

Some questions I have for you though:

1) One side effect I've had is that I am VERY VERY groggy/tired waking up in the morning now. To the point that it's nearly impossible for me to get out of bed at 0500 and go exercise. I'm not tired during the day but waking up has become extremely difficult. Have you had this experience? It's really hurting my training as I struggle to even get out of bed at that hour since I'm on the meds.

2) I've done little training for the last month while I've been adjusting to the meds. Have you ever trained after taking your dose? I'm going to have to start doing that unfortunately as I can't take my dose after like 9am otherwise it will last too long into the night. How has it affected your performance? Not speed but your cardio? I'm afraid it's going to gas me out.

3) Have you had appetite issues? My appetite has taken a dramatic downturn, which was fine for the first month as I had some love handles that needed to go anyway but I've lost about ~8-10 lbs since starting and am at 160 at 5'9" now. I don't want to lose more weight and am afraid that when I kick my HIM training into gear next week I'm going to struggle to maintain my weight.

Anyway, I'm right there with your brother. Tough decision for me getting "medicated" but it sure helps me at work.
2015-04-20 12:55 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

My son is on Adderall and he had trouble getting up early. What worked for him was to set his alarm 30 mins before he would get up and take his dose and then getting up 30 min later is easier once it kicked in. I would suggest, as it seems routine works best, is to get up at the same time each day or as close as possible...and going to bed early enough to get your 7hours of zzzzz. Hard to get to sleep? his doctor suggested Melatonin and it works great. How have you reconciled the increase in your heart rate and your training zones?

Terri
2015-04-20 2:39 PM
in reply to: tri_gurl60

User image

Regular
Originally posted by tri_gurl60

My son is on Adderall and he had trouble getting up early. What worked for him was to set his alarm 30 mins before he would get up and take his dose and then getting up 30 min later is easier once it kicked in. I would suggest, as it seems routine works best, is to get up at the same time each day or as close as possible...and going to bed early enough to get your 7hours of zzzzz. Hard to get to sleep? his doctor suggested Melatonin and it works great. How have you reconciled the increase in your heart rate and your training zones?

Terri

Thanks for all the responses. I have been taking this for 3 months or so now and have not had many issues. Had some heart rate issues early on, but after a week or so of taking it, my body must have gotten used to it. I only take it Monday - Friday for work and manage through the weekend. Have not had issues with appetite or with sleeping. I workout in the morning before work then take the pill when I arrive at the office. I ran a half marathon last week and had no issues with training or the race.

Not being an advertisement for Adderall, but if you have struggled with ADHD, this is a wonder drug. I could not concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time and now that is no longer an issue. Its great.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ADHD and Adderall Rss Feed  

of 3