General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Couch to Sprint Training Plan Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-06 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Couch to Sprint Training Plan Questions
I started running about 6 months ago. Typically run 3-4 times a week with a total volume of 16-18 miles. Typically 3 shorter runs of 3-4 miles with a slighter longer run on Sunday mornings. Maybe 5.5 or so.

Just renewed my membership and the only plan where I hit all of the prerequisites is the Couch to Sprint. Swim and Bike are basically nowhere at the moment.

If I follow that plan it has me running twice a week, 1 mile each time. The volume is great for swim\bike, but I'm afraid that backing off that far will kill my run progress. And it didn't come easy. So would it be a good idea to keep the swim\bike volumes as they are in the plan, back off my running to 2-3 times a week with an overall distance of maybe 8-10 miles until I get stronger on bike and in the pool???

2015-01-06 4:01 PM
in reply to: gtkelly

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Couch to Sprint Training Plan Questions

You are the best judge of your fitness level. Add in some extra running if your body can handle it. The plan are usually developed to prevent injuries or over training since you are adding in the bike training. Mike Ricci developed the plan you are asking about and is great to answer questions. He has always responded to my questions and is a great guy. He also offers coaching services if you are interested.

His link is below or you can click on his name back at tthe training plans link. Welcome back and good luck.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/view-profile.asp?actio...

2015-01-06 4:26 PM
in reply to: gtkelly

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Couch to Sprint Training Plan Questions

If it were ME, I would do the latter.  I know someone here is going to say I'm being callous with your wellbeing not know much about you, but based on your post, if you are comfortable with that kind of millage, I would stick to the longer runs (but maybe two from your week to allow for the s/b) but do the suggested swimming/biking workouts until you see how you progress.  Only running 1 mile twice a week is worthless if you can already do 16-18, IMO

Sounds that you have enough fitness for a slightly more advanced program but maybe not the technique/form you need.  I'm betting your swimming and biking will progress quickly if you can already do 16-18 miles a week running.

Just glancing at the plans, if you can do couch to sprint, you can probably do "original" sprint which may be more up your ally.  It has similar starting s/b workouts but a bit more running.  2-3 miles per workout (based on your pace) compared to the one mile of running in the couch program.

Look at a plan that is based on time for the bike and run as well.  That would mean if your running pace is fast because you are good at it, you will run more.  If your bike fitness is lower, you will bike less (distance wise).

Just my 0.02.  Remember that plans are a great jumping off point but feel free to edit them some.  They are designed for the masses and you may have abilities or disabilities that may need them to be modified. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Couch to Sprint Training Plan Questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Couch to Ironman to Couch to ...

Started by tuwood
Views: 2411 Posts: 19

2014-11-18 10:34 PM Quix

Original 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Question

Started by AUradar
Views: 817 Posts: 6

2010-04-19 1:58 PM jasonwb

The Original 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Question

Started by tlpina
Views: 890 Posts: 4

2009-07-06 6:23 PM COSkiGirl

Couch to Sprint Workout Question!

Started by LAV
Views: 821 Posts: 7

2004-11-09 12:19 PM marmadaddy

Question about the swim portion of training (16 week couch to sprint)

Started by joscon
Views: 1227 Posts: 3

2004-03-05 4:57 PM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : October 27, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is coming off the couch! No prerequisites required! This program is very basic and is a ‘get me by’ type of program.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.
date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.