General Discussion Triathlon Talk » northern virginia tri store recommendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-09 10:54 AM
in reply to: #519329

User image

New user

Bristow, VA
Subject: RE: northern virginia tri store recommendations?
www.reptideswimandtri.com

2008-02-16 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
I'm a newbie triathlete as well. I've been to bike shops all over the DC area and found an amazing shop in Leesburg called Plum Grove Cyclery. The two owners there are both cyclists and have been in the business for 25+ years each. They give you the opportunity to test ride the bikes as far as you'd like and for as long as you'd like (within reason, of course). They mainly sell Cannondale bikes but I believe they have other options, too. I also found a knowledgable salesman at Spokes in Ashburn.

As far as tri gear I have found most of mine online at websites previously noted. Of course running shoes need to be purchased through a running store who will do a gait analysis for you. I have found Potomac Running in Ashburn to be good for this. Footsteps of Reston isn't bad as long as you get an experienced runner to help you. Pacers of Alexandria is awesome, too. Over the years I have not liked Metro Run & Walk because most every time I have gone in there I have been given an incorrect gait analysis and when I got my very first pair of running shoes from them I ended up getting injured and the only thing I could point to was incorrect gait analysis & shoes.

Hope this helps.
2008-02-18 2:26 PM
in reply to: #1215745

dcrunningdiva - 2008-02-16 9:01 AM I'm a newbie triathlete as well. I've been to bike shops all over the DC area and found an amazing shop in Leesburg called Plum Grove Cyclery. The two owners there are both cyclists and have been in the business for 25+ years each. They give you the opportunity to test ride the bikes as far as you'd like and for as long as you'd like (within reason, of course). They mainly sell Cannondale bikes but I believe they have other options, too. I also found a knowledgable salesman at Spokes in Ashburn. As far as tri gear I have found most of mine online at websites previously noted. Of course running shoes need to be purchased through a running store who will do a gait analysis for you. I have found Potomac Running in Ashburn to be good for this. Footsteps of Reston isn't bad as long as you get an experienced runner to help you. Pacers of Alexandria is awesome, too. Over the years I have not liked Metro Run & Walk because most every time I have gone in there I have been given an incorrect gait analysis and when I got my very first pair of running shoes from them I ended up getting injured and the only thing I could point to was incorrect gait analysis & shoes. Hope this helps.

Hmm...note to self. When replacing shoes soon, do not go back to Metro Run and Walk and have elsewhere reanalyze my gait...

2008-02-18 8:16 PM
in reply to: #1218658

User image

Pro
Reston
wurkit_gurl - 2008-02-18 3:26 PM

dcrunningdiva - 2008-02-16 9:01 AM I'm a newbie triathlete as well. I've been to bike shops all over the DC area and found an amazing shop in Leesburg called Plum Grove Cyclery. The two owners there are both cyclists and have been in the business for 25+ years each. They give you the opportunity to test ride the bikes as far as you'd like and for as long as you'd like (within reason, of course). They mainly sell Cannondale bikes but I believe they have other options, too. I also found a knowledgable salesman at Spokes in Ashburn. As far as tri gear I have found most of mine online at websites previously noted. Of course running shoes need to be purchased through a running store who will do a gait analysis for you. I have found Potomac Running in Ashburn to be good for this. Footsteps of Reston isn't bad as long as you get an experienced runner to help you. Pacers of Alexandria is awesome, too. Over the years I have not liked Metro Run & Walk because most every time I have gone in there I have been given an incorrect gait analysis and when I got my very first pair of running shoes from them I ended up getting injured and the only thing I could point to was incorrect gait analysis & shoes. Hope this helps.

Hmm...note to self. When replacing shoes soon, do not go back to Metro Run and Walk and have elsewhere reanalyze my gait...

Metro Run Walk set me up fine.  Take it with a grain of salt.

2008-02-19 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia
I just got my new shoes from VA Runner in Woodbridge and loved them.  She did a great analysis of my feet and came up with a great pair of shoes for me.  Watched me run, walk in socks, ect. before coming up with the shoes.  Also, if you need to order shoes, they will order them for you and let you try them out before you are obligated to pay a dime.  Very important to me since my size is never in stock anywhere and I always have to special order running shoes.  They give a discount to military/fire/police and if you are a member of some gyms you will also get a discount.
2008-02-23 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
FYI: Tri-Energy is out of business. I just went there this week. I was confused about it so made a post in the TRIRATS Yahoo! Group and was told they had closed but might open a new store in Herndon in the future under different ownership.

2008-02-23 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1219311

User image

Expert
3558 - 2008-02-18 8:16 PM

wurkit_gurl - 2008-02-18 3:26 PM

Metro Run Walk set me up fine.  Take it with a grain of salt.

Of course, take it with a grain of salt but don't come cryin' to me when you are injured!

Seriously though - maybe it was the THREE different people I had analyze my gait at the store in Tysons. Maybe other MR&W stores give correct analysis. All I know is I used to wear a knee brace when running and now I don't.
2008-03-16 3:44 PM

User image

New user
I just wanted to give my recommendation for Riptide. I drove up to Gainesville from Fredericksburg yesterday. The store is not that easy to locate, even with a garmin, as there is no signage. But once located and inside, it is a lovely store. Rob, the owner, is quite the runner. He has done 100 mile ultramarathons, and he competed in the IM World Championships at Kona in 2006. He recommended some nice running shorts by Zoot that I used for a 10-miler today (very comfortable), and I bought some 2XU tri shorts and a tri belt as well.

Visit the store if you get the opportunity.

Rex
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » northern virginia tri store recommendations? Rss Feed  

of 2