General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Tri's in Raleigh Area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-02 10:56 AM

New user

Subject: Beginner Tri's in Raleigh Area
Hi,
I am a big guy who completed his first metric century on a bike last year. Although I'm a decent swimmer, I am TERRIBLE at running. I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on a good beginner Tri. In particular I am looking for one that is not entirely made up of superior athletes. One that has at least a number of people that are out there with the goal of finishing, rather than crushing their times. At first I was looking at the Triangle Sprint Triathlon (http://www.trifind.com/re_160327/TriangleSprintTriathlon.html), but it looked like the time requirement and didnt want to be swept off the course for not keeping the pace. Maybe the time allotment is enough, but I'm not sure yet. I just need to find one to set myself a reasonable goal. Any thoughts on a good recommendation for a beginner tri?
thanks
Rich

2015-02-02 12:59 PM
in reply to: rdecristo

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Beginner Tri's in Raleigh Area
Hey Rich. Welcome to the forum :-) There are a lot of tris around here and really, every one of them has some uber-fast guys and some really slow people who show up on a mountain bike and probably have more fun than the uber-fast guys! A few questions for you: Do you mind a lake swim or do you want a pool swim (pool will be 250 to 300 yards for a sprint, lake is usually around 750m)? The bike on sprints is usually 12-17.5 (triangle triathlon) and the run is generally around a 5k. The main factor is pool/lake swim. If you answer that we can all offer thoughts on our favorite triathlons in the area. But don't be afraid of people looking down on you or being the slowest- this is a pretty accepting sport and everyone is really more concerned with their own race than judging some person who might not be very fast.
2015-02-02 1:39 PM
in reply to: louiskie

New user

Although I think the structure of a pool is a bit easier to manage than a lake, I am not afraid of the lake swim. Right now (today) I am able to swim about 250yd without a problem, so I assume with some quality training, getting up to 750m shouldnt be much of a concern (albeit that is without coupling the swim with a ride and a run). My biggest obstacle is definitely going to be the run. I am aiming for some kind of an event for the summer (anytime after mid-June). That should be enough time for me to run the 5k distance (slowly) but completely. I'd rather not be the slowest guy out there, so a bigger event is probably less likely for me to be the last guy. I'm really excited about this. When I trained for my metric century last year, it was some of the most fun I have had. Unfortunately I took too much time off after the event and my routine fell apart, so I am starting all over.
2015-02-02 8:38 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Knowing very little about you, I am going to go out on a limb and say that if you were able to knock out 62 miles on the bike, you wont be the last person on the course in a sprint. But even if you are, doesn't matter unless it really matters to you. I don't think the time allotments for any of the sprints in this area are really strictly enforced. No one is going to pull you off the course, unless you look like you are dying. I think you will find that when you actually get out there on the course, you will do better than "just finishing". That being said, Smile Train (I think its an FS Series race) is pretty beginner friendly. Fairly short pool swim, ~12 mile bike and 5K. Run is a little hilly, but there aren't many runs in the Raleigh area that aren't.
2015-02-03 9:57 AM
in reply to: Wthore

New user

great, thanks alot for the recommendation. There is a UNC Wellness Super Sprint (Swim 1.2 Miles, Bike 56 Miles, Run 13.1 Miles) in August I may look into as well as the Smile Train. thanks again
2015-02-03 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
For a lake swim, check out triangle triathlon in July or Buckner Mission Man (in Burlington), also in July. They are both really nice races and pretty well populated so you won't stand out as a beginner. In fact, Buckner Mission Man used to be touted as a try a triathlon kind of race. Both are run by setupevents. But check out fsseries too- they have a number of good sprint-distance races.

2015-02-04 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I've heard good things about all of those Rex Wellness races (Garner, Knightdale, etc.). I think you can't go wrong with any of those. They'd all be friendly.
2015-02-04 10:32 AM

New user

thanks for all the advice, I bit the bullet and signed up for the Rex Wellness Garner event in July. Wish me luck.
2015-02-04 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rich_NC great, thanks alot for the recommendation. There is a UNC Wellness Super Sprint (Swim 1.2 Miles, Bike 56 Miles, Run 13.1 Miles) in August I may look into as well as the Smile Train. thanks again

Er...those aren't "sprint" distances, that's a half-ironman (HIM) distance race.  

Pretty much, if you can swim 250 yards without stopping, you could swim 750.  I'd still advise practice building up to that distance.  

I signed up for my first triathlon 10 years ago.  It was a little race and I figured there wouldn't be any "real triathletes" there (I'd seen the Kona highlights and knew what that entailed).  Yup...those "real triathletes" were at that sprint race too, having a great time, cheering me on, and here I am, 10 years later still doing it.  

While nobody wants to be last, someone has to be (even in the Olympics), so don't let the fear of finishing last keep you from signing up.  There's even a thread here on BT about people who have finished last.  

2015-02-09 9:27 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

I did the rex wellness sprints my first 2 years. They were in fact the first 3 tri's I ever did. All 3 were great and they are very first time friendly. The guy putting the race on even recognized me by the last one. I'm even thinking of doing them again next year just becasue I liked them so much.
2015-02-11 12:51 PM
in reply to: #5089709

User image

I love the Rex series and will likely do them again this year! Holler at me this summer if you'd like to meet a friendly face in the morning!

2015-03-22 2:08 PM
in reply to: Kellyann76

I did all 3 of the Rex Wellness Tri's last year. FS Series does a great job - organized and a lot of fun! Good luck!
2015-03-23 7:35 PM
in reply to: sarah.w.1016

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I love FS Series 3 Little Pigs tri...very fun race, pool swim and beginner friendly!
2015-04-19 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilson, NC (East of Raleigh, NC)
Great race - beginner friendly and very well organized.

Kristin
Wilson, NC
2015-04-22 1:18 PM
in reply to: #5092611

User image

I saw a quote somewhere about finishing last and went something along the lines of "even if you finish last you beat the thousands that never got off the couch". So get out there and enjoy it!

As for the local races, I haven't completed any but my wife knows the RD for Smile Train and she says it's very beginner friendly. I've heard good things about the Rex series too. Sounds like you have plenty to chose from!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Tri's in Raleigh Area Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Any available swim coach in Raleigh for beginner?

Started by abreakey
Views: 883 Posts: 7

2012-02-23 3:20 PM abreakey

Good sports/Tri PTs in the Raleigh area?

Started by Cayenne
Views: 838 Posts: 3

2011-09-05 9:51 AM DougRob

Raleigh Area White Lake Tri Dinner

Started by watsonrm
Views: 603 Posts: 2

2007-04-24 10:30 AM fgump

Raleigh Area Roll Call Pages: 1 2

Started by kapinto
Views: 2091 Posts: 36

2007-02-27 10:48 PM nuthouse

Raleigh area massage

Started by Tri'nNC
Views: 752 Posts: 2

2006-08-21 6:39 AM sunburnt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
A few trathletes at a local race setup their transition area.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 0
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 1
How triathlons are very similiar to NASCAR.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
How to properly and effectively lay out your triathlon transition area.