General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you deal with people and dogs on the path? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-02-09 1:05 PM
in reply to: murphdog

Subject: RE: How do you deal with people and dogs on the path?
I treat everyone, whether I'm riding or running, on any path as someone that I don't trust. If you're suspect of everyone then you're in defensive mode and the less likely to hit them. Expecting someone to do something can lead to a spill. Don't get me wrong - I'm also of the mind that training fast on my bike means staying on the main roads, but my philosophy comes into play because too many times I've had to move or get slammed by someone on a bike coming around a blind corner. Trust no one....lol.

2015-02-09 1:17 PM
in reply to: DLBoatman

User image

Pro

Just curious.....is there kind of mass carnage on MUP's that I'm not aware of?   Is there a body count? 

This sounds like one of those things everyone likes to whine about but it works itself out just fine.  There are a number of MUP's by my house.....we use them quite a bit....some are insanely crowded.  I have yet to see an accident. 

2015-02-09 1:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

the problems occur when you try to go at cycling training speed on a MUP, they aren't meant for road/tri bike racers. Use the road.

2015-02-09 2:02 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Carmel, Indiana
Train on MUP 75%+ of the time. The key is going early or late, dialing it down in spots, and calling out your passes. The people that use the MUP at this time of day are regulars and will share the trails (except rollerbladers). BTW f#%k rollerbladers.
2015-02-09 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Left Brain

Just curious.....is there kind of mass carnage on MUP's that I'm not aware of?   Is there a body count? 

This sounds like one of those things everyone likes to whine about but it works itself out just fine.  There are a number of MUP's by my house.....we use them quite a bit....some are insanely crowded.  I have yet to see an accident. 

Ha, while it probably is mostly theoretical - i do have one example - my running buddy got by a bike from behind when we were out running. We were just starting an interval and over to the far right, single file. The path had a minor bend but who knows what this guy on a hybrid was doing but he certainly didn't have bike skills.  He knocked her forward and tore up her elbow and knees and such.  Sucks to happen, obviously she was okay but we were still about 2 miles from home and it ended our interval workout. 

Just a summer evening on the waterfront trail in Toronto ... 

2015-02-09 3:32 PM

Not really. Though, I've had a few close calls. I learned to be silent on this issue the last time it came up.

I used to say I was not fond of dogs, but as you pointed out....it's usually the owners. I guess with the dogs themselves, I'm indifferent to them. I wouldn't own one and always laughed at coworkers who couldn't go out for an "FAC" or something because they had to go home and take care of their dogs. Although, I suppose, that could be a terribly convenient excuse to not have to hang around people by the likes of myself. I like the kittehs.

There's one in particular trail that's often crowded to the point I don't use it at all. Even if I were to take a leisurely stroll. I'm not a fan of some of the roads you have to cross, even with the button activated lights. Some trails (ones that I think would be used extensively if they host the branded Half Iron Man around here)....that I will only walk/run on when I take my kids to lacrosse practice. I don't really "ride" trails, unless I'm just out with the kids or something. Even though the users are really good and conscious about sharing, I wouldn't ride the ones up at Creve Couer (sp?) Park at all. Too narrow. Way to much legitimate and conscious use.

I mean, why use a trail when I can dodge mayors and other nuts in cars out on the roads? Actually, I've never not been able to find a road I'm pretty comfortable feeling safe about riding on.

2015-02-10 8:42 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Pro

(dog.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
dog.jpg (77KB - 14 downloads)
2015-02-10 8:58 AM

User image

I am at least +1 on MUP accident with a few close calls.  Last year, I had someone decide to blindly pull a U turn after stopping.  She was totally oblivous to her surroundings and while I was able to break in time to prevent serious damage I still went down.  She took off

2015-02-10 9:47 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

I deal with this at Tempe Town Lake where IMAZ run is held. It is a jogger, walker, runner, dog, stroller, and then the bikes. Some people in full aero, full kits, full speed on a 3 foot wide path and why? they haul there knowing there is going to be close calls when there is many other rides in the area that are safer, more challenging and even the IMAZ route. But every time i go run that path there are people FLYING down the paths.... just dont get it.
2015-02-11 7:32 AM
in reply to: Tryrn

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In defense of the OP: The path is question is much wider than three feet (maybe 8 feet--almost as wide as a two-lane road) and rather lightly used at many times. Potential hazards for bikes (such as bumps and paving irregularities) have even been spray-painted to make them more noticeable for bikers. Although it is a MUP, it's commonly referred to as a "bike path" and used by both recreational and training cyclists. I've often run on the path as well (usually brick runs) and will vouch that most cyclists I've encountered there are pretty safety conscious and give verbal warning. It's a very rural area so some of the dog issues are not just with dogs being walked on the path, but running over from nearby farms and houses or the parks by the lake. It's nearly as likely to be an issue on the road as on the path.

Most roads in this area are very hilly and curving--scenic, but not safe in aero. I can't really think of a safer venue to ride in aero in my area (except on the trainer), unless they have stopped the traffic for a race. There are certain times when it's best to avoid the path, though-mainly nice weather days on weekends when larger groups of casual walkers, with and without canines, tend to come out.
2015-02-11 8:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Tryrn It is a jogger, walker, runner, dog, stroller, and then the bikes. 

Is that posted on the path or just the accepted hierarchy? 

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2015-02-11 8:45 AM

2015-02-11 12:29 PM
in reply to: murphdog

User image

Personally, I think it's a very bad idea to ride aero on a MUP. That's just looking for trouble, IMHO. We run on a MUP that has dog walkers and cruiser bikes, which are bad enough. But for a guy to be in aero, at speed, on the same path as people walking and dogs? That's about as bad as riding aero on a group ride. Yeah nothing may happen, but you're just tempting fate.

A TT/Tri bike was designed for one thing: to go fast. It wasn't made to stop on a dime; it's not even very maneuverable; it goes fast, in a straight line. A MUP is the very antithesis of what it was made for.

I'm not a lawyer or anything, but it just seems to be your butt is hanging way out there on this on

I don't even ride aero in town any more. I will drive out to the boondocks to get clear country roads.

Of course, opinions vary.
2015-02-16 12:41 PM
in reply to: NewDiz

User image

I am a dog lover and frequently run with my dog on an MUP. We don't have an issue with people sneaking up on us because she is so alert to everything, and when I hear someone coming up behind us, I move her to the far outside of the path and put myself between her and the bike.

However, not all dog walkers/runners are that way. Unless I am on the stretches in between towns where very few people go, I don't use the MUP for bike training (although I will use it for commuting). When I do encounter people that I need to pass, I always announce "on your left" and say thanks when they move over. If I am riding with other people or simply notice someone else behind me, I will also let the person I am passing know that there are 3 more bikes behind me or something to that effect so they don't spring right back out into the middle of the path. Basically, I am just trying to create a sense of good will and sharing in a culture where people look for reasons to hate cyclists.

I can tell you that sometimes just hitting an animal is the safest thing. I have hit a dog on the road when it charged my front wheel, and kept total control of the bike. If you are an experienced mountain biker, you should have good bike handling skills, so I am not sure why you are crashing so much.

Also, a squirt of your water bottle to the dog's face will teach them not to charge bikes.
2015-02-16 11:23 PM
in reply to: #5090681

User image

Champion
MA
Best mups I've ridden on are in Minnesota. In Twin Cities often two separate trails one for cyclists and other for everyone else. Plus on bike one everyone rides same direction. In Northern Minnesota they have Mup that are by towns of 700. I can do a 50 mile ride and only see 10 people. Some areas are so remote I don't see anyone for an hour and when I do I'm startled. To op in more congested mups you need to sit up, slow down and be safe around the hazards of dogs and people.
2015-02-17 10:31 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by Tryrn It is a jogger, walker, runner, dog, stroller, and then the bikes. 

It's pretty much the law in every state.

On any path, paved or unpaved, cyclists yield to pedestrians. And horses, although that's usually less an issue on paved paths. Doesn't matter if the pedestrians are running, walking, pushing a stroller, walking a dog or fumbling around in a drug-induced stupor.

No, that doesn't give dog walkers a right to have their invisible leash stretched all the way across the path. By the way, did you ever try to let these people know that you can't see their leash? I've done it a few times in that situation, and 3 out of 4 times I'm met with, "Thanks, I didn't realize that." The fourth guy was an A-hole, or pretty much average for the population at large.

We have some nice, wide MUPS around here (Orange County, CA) that are used frequently by cyclists, and cyclists moving at a good clip are expected by other users. One of them even has "cycling path" in the name (note-that doesn't change the yield scenario). The only bad encounter I've had was on a park road, and that was a girl on a beach cruiser who decided to make a U-turn in front of me even though I announced myself. Could have been ugly, but I tucked and rolled nicely.
2015-02-17 12:37 PM
in reply to: rjames91

User image

Pro

Originally posted by rjames91
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

It's pretty much the law in every state. On any path, paved or unpaved, cyclists yield to pedestrians. And horses, although that's usually less an issue on paved paths. Doesn't matter if the pedestrians are running, walking, pushing a stroller, walking a dog or fumbling around in a drug-induced stupor. No, that doesn't give dog walkers a right to have their invisible leash stretched all the way across the path. By the way, did you ever try to let these people know that you can't see their leash? I've done it a few times in that situation, and 3 out of 4 times I'm met with, "Thanks, I didn't realize that." The fourth guy was an A-hole, or pretty much average for the population at large. We have some nice, wide MUPS around here (Orange County, CA) that are used frequently by cyclists, and cyclists moving at a good clip are expected by other users. One of them even has "cycling path" in the name (note-that doesn't change the yield scenario). The only bad encounter I've had was on a park road, and that was a girl on a beach cruiser who decided to make a U-turn in front of me even though I announced myself. Could have been ugly, but I tucked and rolled nicely.

Not true....although it's not a bad practice.

All of the laws in my state that regulate "vehicles" and "pedestrians" (and horses for that matter) can only be applied on a "roadway" or "highway".  Both of those are defined by statute and a MUP does not fit into that definition in any way.  There are absolutely NO state laws in my state that govern right of way on a MUP.

2015-02-18 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

In this case I wasn't sure how to say on your left in dog language.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you deal with people and dogs on the path? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Clueless people on the bike path Pages: 1 2

Started by jsrsy
Views: 2548 Posts: 34

2014-12-12 3:54 PM Antoine tri

Looking for people to sign up for Full Vineman 2012 (3-for-2 deal)

Started by jxj
Views: 962 Posts: 3

2011-11-12 3:21 PM mulan1209

Great Deal P4 deal

Started by arcee52
Views: 1040 Posts: 1

2011-06-27 7:49 AM arcee52

Deal or No Deal?

Started by Patch-Adams
Views: 1305 Posts: 8

2009-07-07 12:39 PM Patch-Adams

Dealing with dogs while running? Pages: 1 2

Started by DaddyD
Views: 2200 Posts: 33

2008-05-29 2:30 PM chadtower
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.