General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tight outer calf - sharp pain......... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-23 4:42 PM

User image

Subject: Tight outer calf - sharp pain.........

While running down the beach to start a swim a few weeks back, the muscle that runs down the back-outside of my calf started getting tighter and tighter.   I (foolishly) tried to run through it until it became a sharp stabbing pain, like the muscle was stretched out fully and would go no more.

RICE took care of it, but I could feel a slight tightness last week that didn't get worse.  This morning I tried to run, made it 1/2 mile before it started to hurt, I stopped to prevent further damage.

Any clues as to what this is?  Resolution?  Prevention?

I've got an Oly in 2 weeks that I'd sure like to be able to run.....

2006-08-23 5:03 PM
in reply to: #520064

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Subject: RE: Tight outer calf - sharp pain.........

I've been having the same problem, but on the inside of my calf.  It has been so tight.  I took 2 weeks off running and focused on swimming, cycling, and I did some hiking because that didn't bother it.  I did a lot of stretching. 

I had a race this past weekend and it was 4 weeks before the race that I had this problem.  After taking 2 weeks off running I started up again 2 weeks before my race and my leg felt fine.  Then I raced and it felt fine.  The past 3 days it's been really annoying me again though.

I've been told that might be a sign I need new shoes.

2006-08-23 6:13 PM
in reply to: #520088

User image

Subject: RE: Tight outer calf - sharp pain.........
Pinata - 2006-08-23 3:03 PM

I've been told that might be a sign I need new shoes.

Hmmmmm, that is interesting.  I am due for new shoes......

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tight outer calf - sharp pain......... Rss Feed